turbo help,a/r & exhaust #'s???

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

get_nick

These snozzberries taste like snozzberries...
VIP
I'm looking at turbo kits online for my gsr hatch. I was wondering if someone can explain what a/r and exhaust #'s translate into in very simple terms so i can understand them. I know they have something to do with the turbo's power capabitlies but that is where my knowledge ends. For example i saw a t-70 turbo with .70 a/r and .84 exhaust. What does all this mean? thanks!!!!

a/r = area/radius

these are pics of Corky Bell's Turbo book.

buy it.

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=eastcoastdels-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=0837601606&fc1=000000&=1&lc1=0000ff&bc1=000000&lt1=_blank&IS2=1&f=ifr&bg1=ffffff&f=ifr" width="120" height="240" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0">
</iframe>

DSC00154.JPG

DSC00155.JPG

DSC00156.JPG

as for "exhaust"

thats a misnomer at best.

you have the turbine side and the compressor side.

the turbine side gets spun by the exhaust, spinning the axle that the compressor is on, which creates boost.

the larger the trim on the turbine, the more power potential, but the more lag. but this is also limited by the compressor... you really can't compare one side without the other side.

anyway, buy that book. its worth the money, and i get a referral :p

Back