Turbo In Autox

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
My origanal plans where to do an ITR swap into my sol and basicly leave that in stock form. With a swap, that puts me in street Mod in auto X. In the rule book, Street mod says that engine is basicly unrestricted, as long as displacement is under 6 liters NA or 2L turbo. It does not have any rules against tubos other then the displacement one. What I was thinking, an LS turbo would still have me be racing the same cars as an ITR powered sol and together would cost about the same. So what do you think would be better? If I got the LS turbo, I would just put a small turbo in it. However, autoX=rev happy so I would have to build up the head and also, put new rod bolts in the bottom end. So what does everyone recommend?

If you can size your turbo correctly so you're never waiting for the turbo to spool coming out of a turn, you'll probably be faster- but that much torque may be too much on the autocross course too. Some of the "tracks" they make down here in Texas are actually pretty friendly to extremely high speeds, but an engine with NA characteristics might still be better suited for where you race.

Moving to FI for you.

What I was thinking was to get a small sized turbo so that way, it would stay spooled basicly throughout the course. About the trq issue, I was thinking about maybe a LS tranny with a Kaaz or Quife (sp?) LSD.

One big reason why I am kinda looking towards this direction is because the ITR swap ALONE will cost me 3900 for the swap, plus a good 800+ in things that have to go on it right away (new clutch, flywheel, timing belt, h20 pump, SHIPPING ect.) By the time I am done with the swap, I would have already spent a good 5k. Yea, it is nice that I can rev high and have alittle more trq but I will still get killed by neons in SM (turboed), and to be competitive, I would probally have to spend another 1-2k minimum.

With an LS-t, I would of course have great strait line performance but for autoX, I would have the power to be beat some of the more competive autoX cars but with alot less money spent.

What does B and Chet think of this?

Hmm. I don't know that I'd put an LS transmission in there, unless you can generate a torque curve flat enough so that you're always in a nice spot in your rev range. If you can complete the LS/turbo setup for not too much more than the ITR swap, it would probably be a more competitive combination...

i wouldnt either.

if autoX is your thing, get an itr tranny, or a b16 with an ATS 4.9:1 FDR.
bogging coming out of a turn sucks. i lost a couple seconds, easily, by not hitting fisrt gear a couple times... but doing so would probably have been just as slow- now, if i had A, more torque, or a closer box, i would have pulled out much harder.

if i were to build an autoX car, first of all, it wouldnt be a honda, but if it was, i would do the b16b with an ATS in a jdm itr tranny, with a qiaffe and a 30mm rear sway bar

Y b16b? DO you mean tranny or engine? Engine would not be that outragous price wise and for sure I could do it less then the ITR or the b18b T plus the b16b is extremly rev happy

The B16 tranny with lsd would be good for AutoX because the gears are not long like that of the LS. The length of the gears in the LS would present a challenge with keeping the rpms in the sweet spot throughout shifts.

Peace*

you can put a turbo in but you have to be careful; if the boost builds up quickly, you will lose front wheel traction and slam dead into a wall. thats why many fwd cars use superchargers or stay NA.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Apr 29 2003, 10:44 PM
The thing about SC it is that SC are extremly exepensive.

actually it depends, a JR sc is around 3k for b16a, while the greddy turbo kit is 2k, the drag turbo is 4k.

IMO the sc is cheaper than turbo to go fast in autoX in fwd car. ie. to keep boost from rising too fast a boost controller is needed, which means more money. also the piping for the turbo can add some weight. In autoX you dont want alot of weight.

Originally posted by asmallsol@Apr 29 2003, 02:41 PM
Y b16b? DO you mean tranny or engine?

cuz its a bad ass motor. and yes i mean both swap and tranny. yes, its expensive, but for an autox, i'd rather have that than an itr in my car.

Back