turbo indentification

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

spdr

I bought a turbo from a friend and had a few questions about it. The origin of the turbo is pretty much unknown except for the facts that on the hotside its .80 a/r on the cold its .60 a/r and it has a .60 trim... if anyone knows a little more about what all this means? and could relay it to me that would be great, oh and its a garrett Also have a question concerning where the oil drain flange is.. the turbo is planned to be mounted on a b18 so the flange is pointing up actually so I was wondering if it is possible to rotate the housing? (I will be removing the external wastegate anyway)

a/r = area radius*

area ratio is a mathematical description of the cross sectional area of the turbine housing(or compressor housing) inlet divided by the radius described by the center of the turbine wheel to the center of the turbine housing(or compressor housing) inlet.

you should be able to rotate the center section. that should be where your oil inlet and outlet flanges should be.

so by the numbers given can one guage how powerful the turbo is? and if so how does this one rate out..

so based on these numbers.. what kind of fuel management should i use along with this turbo if im only boosting at 8 psi with it..

a/r says next to nothing about the general size of the turbo dude.

there's t25's with .80 a/rs..... and there's t4's with .63 a/r's

oh.. im just about 100 percent sure its a t3 so that should clear that up.. but still need to know about the fuel..

there are 63292639 different T3 trim variations. The general idea is that lower a/r trim will yeild higher backpressure and lower boost threshold (which is accompanied by low thermal efficency at full boost). This varies per turbo, but generally you are going to want to invest professional tuning time into your car to see what fuel you need with your turbo, your engine, your compression, and your fuel setup. That is the only way to do it 100% right.

Back