Turbo ITR

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

webink_EK9

If I were to play with the idea of getting a turbo setup for my hatch, what kit should I go with? I know I wouldn't want to put much boost on the motor, so what would be a good place for me to start at? Please guys don't tell me to switch motors or anything. I'm not even sure I want to do this, so don't start kicking my ass.

Forged low compression pistons and forged rods are a good start for your motor.

As for a turbo kit, depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.

You can run 6-7 psi on pump gas with a t3/t4 or a greddy TD05H-18g

Just make sure your FUEL MANAGEMENT is well planned

I ran thegreddy kit with mine stock to begin with and I ended up breaking a ringland on #3 piston. :doh:
Oh well I wouldn't have the bulletproof block now if It Didn't happen.

if you got the money, full-race stage 1 turbo kit. that is really the only prefab kit to get imo

Turbo kits are geared toward the people who want cheaper power. The unfortunate consequence is that the power is... cheaper. Cheaper fuel management, cheaper parts, and cheaper performance standards. This kind of cookie-cutter respone is not meant for the decidedly non-cookie-cutter engine that you posess. You sound more inteligent than average, please do the research into a custom setup for your engine.

You should really be able to answer your own question. If you want to keep your block virgin, you will need to run lower boost on a very steeply trimmed compressor. Your ITR head will flow a lot more than the others around you, so you need a turbo that you can't catapult past efficency with.

If you want to take the "R" out of your ITR and drop the compression, sleeve it, and put forged steel everywhere, then you can run rediculous double-digit boost.

Tuning is a must, either way. Get somebody good, not joe schmo frat-boy-with-a-rom-burner.

Sleeving your block would be an insurance policy, and you can replace your internals with forged high-compression slugs. The lighter weight means somthing, but that is all excessive if your goal is less than 400whp. It dosen't mean it's bad. Hell, I did it.

If your goal is in the area of 400whp, then you should probably look at some other aspects of your turbo setup, such as a rigid crossmember, thick axles, and a traction bar setup.

Edit: My spelling is terrible, but not nearly as terrible as b's drunk spelling...

Well, money isn't the issue and I don't really want to change much in the motor. Everyone says hondata is the way to go so that would be a sure thing. After that, I wouldn't know where to start. It sounds like I'd be happy with just a low boost setup. Just want a little more power out of it. I'll start doing my own research on it, but I've tried in the past and didn't come up with much. In st. louis, there aren't many resources. I'd probably end up shipping the car out to Cali this winter if I get it done. Anyway, all ideas are welcome. If I decide to go with this, I don't want to do it wrong.

screw cali. theres closer shops to you that are probably better than most of the Engrish Racing y0 shops that populate cali. if anything, theres a lot of good shops in texas- and thats not TOO far..

if you don't plan to chnage much inside... you're looking at about a 250 whp power goal... a little more if you go and do easy things like rods. With a little bit of cash, you can go a long way.

just remember, compression is a mother f'er. that 11:1 motor is going to make 5psi feel like 30 on an 8:1 motor.

Webink: I think i remember you saying youve delt with lightspeed before. Go over there and talk to jon about it. They are pretty smart guys. They will help you throw around ideas. Just a thought :)

I talked to them a while back and they said they hate turboing motors. They want to be the NA tuners in St. Louis, well thats what tommy says anyway. I'll swing out there and see what they say. They still owe me some parts too. Have they done any good turbo systems?

Back