Turbo kit VS Part by Part bought Turbo

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ovcrash

What's the best way? By a Turbo kit, from like Greddy or a compagnie like that, or by a turbo but part by part from different places and compagnie and make a really custom turbo?

My goal is to get 250WHP to 300WHP out of my H22, i know i'm probably going to have to do the internal and stuff, anyways that's not the question here.

Buy a Turbo kit from a compagnie? Or buy part by part?

Thank you.

kit all the way. doing it piece by piece will be a pain in the ass, and if you're not good at fabricating shit, you'll probably end it all and give up out of frustration.

Any opinion on kits? Greddy? FMAX? any other..?
And with those kits, is it possible to get to 300WHP?

Out of your H22, I'm not going to answer, but I'm getting the edelbrock kit for my b16a2.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Apr 21 2004, 01:47 PM
kit all the way. doing it piece by piece will be a pain in the ass, and if you're not good at fabricating shit, you'll probably end it all and give up out of frustration.

Yes, kits are a great way to go if you want an extra 30 hp from those weak 15g turbos. Some kits are really good, but more often than not, you can find the products best for what you want to gain out of a turbo setup indiviually. If 300 whp is your goal, you COULD buy a kit, you woud just need to buy a better turbo.

do a kit unless you are good at fabbing... I pieced mine together, and it took me about a year due to problems, frustrations, and all of that shit...

Its running, but it STILL isn't done. I just got it running, and i'm already replacing my i/c, my i/c piping, & my downpipe. I already replaced my engine management also...

go with a kit, or spend big $$$ on part by part.

kits suck.

but you can STILL get a kit with the shit you want.

check out importparts.com

add each peice froma couple selections to build your custom kit.

i built mine piece by piece. took about 7 months of saving and piecing together. the only time I was frustrated with it was when I started out, cause all I had to begin with was a blown turbo.

kits are waayyyyyyyyyyyyy overpriced. they usually start around $2500 and go up from there. they only include the turbo,mani,piping,fmu,hoses,bov, and oil supply/return lines. basically they throw alot of nickle and dime shit in with the 3 expensive items (turbo,mani,IC), spread all the shit around and make it look like youre gettin 598936 items.

i dont wanna list ALL my items as i would like to wait until its all together and running so i can take pics and post it in the near future. but i will tell you that ive spent a little less than $2500 and have waaaayyyyyyyy more shizz.

:cliffs:
kits=overpriced
DIY=saved $$ and the added 'i built it all by myself!' feeling

yeah i agree, you should def. piece a turbo kit together- This way, you know that ever part you get is specfic to your setup and the best possible part it could be- No generic BOV and shitty intercoolers, by custom making your kit you can basically decide what brand you want to run on every aspect of you setup- so i give the :thumbsup: to custom kits y0

Who could find this? Compressor maps for many different turbochargers. A huge part of picking the right setup is a turbocharger that will give you optimal thermal efficency through to redline. It would be nice to see the charts instead of saying "well this guy made it work on a T25, that must be the best option!"

Originally posted by [Freemantle
,Apr 21 2004, 08:23 PM] Who could find this? Compressor maps for many different turbochargers. A huge part of picking the right setup is a turbocharger that will give you optimal thermal efficency through to redline. It would be nice to see the charts instead of saying "well this guy made it work on a T25, that must be the best option!"

s4079f0b79eb2a.jpg

for the mentally impaired or lazy

I think its WAY WAY better to peice the kit together yourself, unless your uncomfortable and don;t know about motors and are learning.

You will probably save about 2 grand putting to together yourself.

about 99% of the people I see boosting, have spent more money and have less horsepower than they could have because they bought something that was "popular" and a brand name that was complete and 0 hassle. Its great its 0 hassle, I LOVE THAT. But I think your better off piecing it together for my main reason, which is my main argument:

You will learn a hell of alot doing it all yourself, and that will help you for the rest of your life.

Jeff

I spent about $1100 on turbo parts. The only things I bought used were the bov, injectors, and resistor box. I could have had the injectors cleaned for like 50 bucks, but they were low mileage so I didn't bother. I could have saved 50 bucks on the bov too, but I had to get the bling bling turbo xs rfl. I had a lot of help with the fabrication part, but I defintely learned a lot by going custom. I also saved quite a bit of money. I was able to use that money for 3 inch exhaust and a good clutch. A must if your going turbo if you ask me. I also upgraded the suspension.

Back