1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo Kit

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by VTECPOWER, Jan 31, 2005.

1. VTECPOWER

VTECPOWER Senior Member

Hey, ive decided to ditch the engine swap idea and go with a turbo kit, i know many people will suggest a custom turbo kit but i have decided to go with the edelbrock kit w/ the t28 garret turbo or to go with the turbonetics kit with the t3/t4 turbo, my question is, what kid would be better? I do not want to have to tune this for a while, i will get it tuned but not for a few months, also i have about $3800 to work with, what else do i need besides one of these kits? bigger fuel pump? also i plan on buying a thermal research 3" turbo exhaust and a new cat, which is needed with the 3" exhaust. This will be a daily driver and i would like to be in the high 13's or the low 14's in the 1/4 mile, maybe around say 185whp, with the edelbrock it says 176 whp but i know i could get more out of it with tuning, this kit will be on a stock engine, which will have the compression and leak down test done before known if engine is turbo worthy, in the future i will build the block and head, but not for about another year. Also i plan on buying a heavier duty clutch with lightened flywheel, Any suggestions and helpful input would be appreciated, thanks....

2. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

most turbo kits come with shit for fuel managment, which = shit or no tuning, so if you;re hoping to squeeze more out of the kit then you;re gonna be junking all the stock kit managment for upgraded stuff... and then its really pointless to get a kit at all

you can build yourself a nice kit, better quality for less money and have better tuning and make more horses for the same amount of money in the long run...

3. VTECPOWER

VTECPOWER Senior Member

i know i could make my own kit, but ive just decided not to because im not too familiar with turbo in general, i actually would not get the car tuned for about 6 months after installation of the turbo because of the money situation, beacause i would need enough for the ecu/tuning shit plus paying someone to tune it, what about my other plans for the exhaust and the clutch/flywheel?
    my only concern is that im just not familiar with the turbo stuff so i think for myself it would be easier to purchase a kit.

4. projectxspeed

projectxspeed Senior Member

I would have to disagree. Its fairly easy to become familiar with turbo pieces; I have been doing it for the past couple months. If you buy a kit you really get screwed on what they give you.

(Look its my devil post :) )

5. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

no tuning? you might as well just take a drill and punch some holes in your block. save you a lot of work

6. reckedracing

reckedracing TTIWWOP VIP

clutch upgrade = :thumbsup:
    bigger exhaust will def help with a turbo application...

you getting raped in the ass for a turbo kit thats junk = :thumbsdown:

time is apparently on your side while you're saving
    do yourself a favor and check homemadeturbo.com
    read, read and read some more, by the time you get done there you will have enough base knowledge to know better than to get a kit...

or check this
    http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html
    the mother load of reading material

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted