Turbo Kit

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

VTECPOWER

Hey, ive decided to ditch the engine swap idea and go with a turbo kit, i know many people will suggest a custom turbo kit but i have decided to go with the edelbrock kit w/ the t28 garret turbo or to go with the turbonetics kit with the t3/t4 turbo, my question is, what kid would be better? I do not want to have to tune this for a while, i will get it tuned but not for a few months, also i have about $3800 to work with, what else do i need besides one of these kits? bigger fuel pump? also i plan on buying a thermal research 3" turbo exhaust and a new cat, which is needed with the 3" exhaust. This will be a daily driver and i would like to be in the high 13's or the low 14's in the 1/4 mile, maybe around say 185whp, with the edelbrock it says 176 whp but i know i could get more out of it with tuning, this kit will be on a stock engine, which will have the compression and leak down test done before known if engine is turbo worthy, in the future i will build the block and head, but not for about another year. Also i plan on buying a heavier duty clutch with lightened flywheel, Any suggestions and helpful input would be appreciated, thanks....

most turbo kits come with shit for fuel managment, which = shit or no tuning, so if you;re hoping to squeeze more out of the kit then you;re gonna be junking all the stock kit managment for upgraded stuff... and then its really pointless to get a kit at all

you can build yourself a nice kit, better quality for less money and have better tuning and make more horses for the same amount of money in the long run...

i know i could make my own kit, but ive just decided not to because im not too familiar with turbo in general, i actually would not get the car tuned for about 6 months after installation of the turbo because of the money situation, beacause i would need enough for the ecu/tuning shit plus paying someone to tune it, what about my other plans for the exhaust and the clutch/flywheel?
my only concern is that im just not familiar with the turbo stuff so i think for myself it would be easier to purchase a kit.

I would have to disagree. Its fairly easy to become familiar with turbo pieces; I have been doing it for the past couple months. If you buy a kit you really get screwed on what they give you.

(Look its my devil post :) )

no tuning? you might as well just take a drill and punch some holes in your block. save you a lot of work

clutch upgrade = :thumbsup:
bigger exhaust will def help with a turbo application...

you getting raped in the ass for a turbo kit thats junk = :thumbsdown:

time is apparently on your side while you're saving
do yourself a favor and check homemadeturbo.com
read, read and read some more, by the time you get done there you will have enough base knowledge to know better than to get a kit...

or check this
http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html
the mother load of reading material

Back