Turbo Kits

Which Turbo Kit Should I get?

• GReddy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Custom pie

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YangpaNemsay

Help me! (B16)

Damnit! I don't know how to do polls!!!!

HKS

GReddy

Or make my own damn turbo kit.

Edelbrock part # 1501

The most complete turbo kit there is. period.

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Nov 23 2004, 02:27 PM
Edelbrock part # 1501

[post=421110]Quoted post[/post]​

Why do people still talk about the edlebrock kit? It's so overpriced it's not even funny. I can piece together a better turbo kit that is just as complete, then buy a clutch and exhaust for less than the edelbrock kit. Then I will have enough money left over for labor and tuning if needed.

I don't care if you going for 150whp or 550whp... piece together your own kit and save money... :thumbsup:

if you have the money and just like turbo buy a kit.. if you like putting things together and putting in work , piece together your own.. theres not much to it really turbo kits are basic as long as you set up fuel right / and cooling

I'm looking for a responsive turbo that can get me to 200hp without putting crazy strain on the engine.

Anyone have a list of pieced up DIY turbo kits?

here is my setup to the best that I can remember it:

ssautochrome turbo mani, turbo, dp and wastegate: 650. a lot of people don't like ssautochrome because of the manifolds but mine was braced off very well and has given me no problems. the wastegate on the other hand has given me some problems like boosting to 11psi when it was only supposed to go to 9.

charge pipes: 75 dollars from jcwhitney. you have to cut them youself.

intercooler:150-190(I can't remember) johnnyracecar

injectors:DSM 450's around 60 dollars.

blow off valve: 50 dollars ebay

oil lines:around 80. some place off of ebay

2.5 inch silicon hose from napa: 12 dollars a foot, and you need 2-3 feet

fuel managment:uberdata(free), chips and eprom burner (around 60)

it would also be smart to buy a clutch. I got an exedy one for 250.

see sig for power.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass+Nov 23 2004, 03:27 PM-->
sohcslammer
@Nov 23 2004, 02:27 PM
Edelbrock part # 1501

Why do people still talk about the edlebrock kit? It's so overpriced it's not even funny.
[post=421167]Quoted post[/post]​

I work at a performance shop. My price is @ $2000. That seems just about right IMO. :)

Originally posted by sohcslammer+Nov 23 2004, 05:37 PM-->
Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Nov 23 2004, 03:27 PM
sohcslammer
Edelbrock part # 1501

Why do people still talk about the edlebrock kit? It's so overpriced it's not even funny.

I work at a performance shop. My price is @ $2000. That seems just about right IMO. :)
[post=421248]Quoted post[/post]​

That's not as bad, the edlebrock kit normally goes for at least $3,000 though right? Either way you still have to get some better fuel management. Basically you can build a pretty good and complete turbo kit yourself for about $1500 and choose exactly what you want. That's what I think about when somebody asks what kit is better. I guess if you want the bling, can't do it yourself, or just want an easy install, go with a pre-fab kit. For the majority of us though, I am guessing money is an issue, so a little elbow grease is worth saving some money.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass+Nov 23 2004, 05:51 PM-->
Originally posted by sohcslammer@Nov 23 2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by beerbongskickass@Nov 23 2004, 03:27 PM
sohcslammer
Edelbrock part # 1501

[post=421248]Quoted post[/post]​

That's not as bad, the edlebrock kit normally goes for at least $3,000 though right? Either way you still have to get some better fuel management. Basically you can build a pretty good and complete turbo kit yourself for about $1500 and choose exactly what you want. That's what I think about when somebody asks what kit is better. I guess if you want the bling, can't do it yourself, or just want an easy install, go with a pre-fab kit. For the majority of us though, I am guessing money is an issue, so a little elbow grease is worth saving some money.
[post=421252]Quoted post[/post]​

True that. Yes even with the edelbrock kit you will need beter engine management. (yes I know you wanted to scream uberdata) As far as kits go though, the edelbrock is BY FAR the best. Yes you can build a cheaper kit. Yes you can build a more powerfull kit. Yes you can custom tailor your own setup if you DIY. Some of us have more money than time though, and I think I know which catigories BBKA and I fall into. And they aren't the same. :p

I know you have heard this... cheap, realiable, fast... you can only pick two.

Well I picked all 3 and I have proved it. My turbo kit looks pretty sexy too, so I have a little bling as well. B)

Originally posted by sohcslammer@Nov 23 2004, 02:27 PM
Edelbrock part # 1501

:withstupid:

Thank you. I had some bitch on a mustang board tell me I'm an idiot because I didn't want the Full race kit, which is less complete and more expensive. (although more power can be made)

What I don't get is why people keep saying the edelbrock kit is the most complete kit there is. It might be the most complete kit, but that doesn't mean much to me considering almost all of the kits out there are garbage. Most of them come with a shitty FMU, without intercoolers, without a bov, etc... Fuel management and tuning is the ost important part of a turbo kit, yet not one kit comes with decent fuel management. As far as upgradeability goes? Most kits you can't upgrade without spending a lot more money.

Um...ok? so other kits are garbage, did you bother to go check the Edelbrock kit out before this post?

Originally posted by revolution8k+Nov 23 2004, 10:33 PM-->
Um...ok? so other kits are garbage, did you bother to go check the Edelbrock kit out before this post?
[post=421437]Quoted post[/post]​

I know what comes in the edelbrock turbo kit. It comes with a ball bearing turbo, which isn't necessary and has a lot do with it's expensive price. A simple t3 will work just as well and cut price down a lot. It also comes with shitty fuel management. It comes with an intake manifold, which isn't really necessary either. Those are just a few things I am talking about.

[Freemantle]
@Nov 23 2004, 10:35 PM
Shop I got my motor built in had a display of one. I hate secondary injector setups. That's so Volvo.
[post=421440]Quoted post[/post]​

I actually like that idea, but it can be expensive. If your making a lot of horsepower and need to run 800, 900, or 1000cc injectors the part throttle and idle can suffer a little bit. Having 2 sets of 550cc injectors will give you great part throttle and also give you the fuel you need when you ripping on it hard.

secondary injectors can be a great thing- when you have a good method to use them, unlike the kits that spray them before the throttle body.

unless your manifold has a bottom mount 2nd fuel rail, and you have an autronic or fast engine management to fully control them properly, i wouldn't even consider such a thing.

more so, he wants a 200hp b16.
totally off topic.

here you go dude:

quality parts, will easily make your power, and will be reliable if you do it right.

inline pro t3 manifold
t3/t04b .57/.63 57 trim
2 1/2 to 3" DP with flex pipe
2 1/4 IC piping
20x8x3 intercooler of some sort
tial 50mm bov
tial 38mm wg
uberdata/hondata/your choice of management here/budget
440-550 cc injectors of your choice/budget
3" exhaust
walbro 255lhp pump
turboXS MBC
boost gauge, egt gauge, oil pressure gauge

tune it, make 200+ with ease
under 3000 if you do it right and shop around for stuff and a couple used parts here and there

Back