turbo leaking

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16rex

I have a t3-t04b on my crx with a b16. Oil is leaking out of the turbo between the housing and the downpipe. I just did a full rebuild on the turbo and it stopped it for a little while. It is also going through the exhaust causing a lot of smoke. Anyone know why the oil would be leaking????? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, Mike

your seals are gone. check for boost leaks, because you might be overspoolin the turbo. also, did you have to clock the turbo? you might not have tightend the bolts on the c band correctly.

if you just fixed it and its doing it again, its probably because your lines are wrong

-3 feed
-10 return into the pan ABOVE the oil level, and GRAVITY path only.

any other way, and you have problems just like you mention

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jul 22 2004, 11:49 AM
if you just fixed it and its doing it again, its probably because your lines are wrong

-3 feed
-10 return into the pan ABOVE the oil level, and GRAVITY path only.

any other way, and you have problems just like you mention
[post=366866]Quoted post[/post]​

that should fix it. i was having the same problem. i was using a -4 feed, and -6 return. i went up to a -10 return and it hasn't leaked since. but tomorrow i'm going to get a restrictor to bring it down to -3 just for good measure.

just wondering if it matters if the oil feed intake and return need to be straight up and down or not. I know its gravity fed but if its at an angle would that cause the problems??? Also the other night i was driving and one of my pipes came unhooked, was just wondering if that would cause overspoolin?? thanks in advance!! mike

its best to have it straight up and down. simplyu clock in the inner portion of your turbo, rebolt down.
and a -4 feed is too big. don't run it. and to the guy above, i suggest going down to a -3 or adding one of those gay restrictor things. hondas run a lot of oil pressure. turbos don't like pressure- they just want the flow. the small line reduces the pressure, but properly lubes the shafts

if a pipe comes off, yes, it could cause over spool, but chances are you ddin't unless you wear beatting the piss out the car, boosting like crazy (by ear anyway) for a long time befor eyou realized you were runnign all motor :D

Thanks for your help! I did notice that the pipe came off right away. It made a loud whoosh sound and I lost power. On the way home I could hear the turbo whining when I gave it kind of throttle. So hopefully it is just the size of the feed and return lines. Again thanks for your help :D . MIKE

Back