Turbo Lude Not Likin Vtec

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eicivic

well guys i am new to this board and i am havin a hell of a time tryin to figure out what the hell the prob is.

I have a 94 si with a 99 vtec engine. i have turboed the engine with a kit that i built (NOT a hack job Junkyard Wars kit). it consist of a vortech fmu 10.1, walbro 255lph in tank pump, front mount intercooler, equal lenght manifold, t4 turbo, turbo xs bov, dsm turbo 440cc injectors, tial 35mm wastegate, Apexi VAFC and autometer gauges.

The issue i am having is vtec. IT HATES IT. under full throttle 10lbs of boost and it caughs out the exhaust. could i have to much overlap in vtec? i was cosidering a exh cam gear? The cams are stock and as far as what else i have been told they are saying its fuel.

I had the close to same setup less the vafc on a h23 and had no prob lem at all rippin the tires loose at 40 mph

any ideas greatly appreaciated.

Blake

Well, I'd probably defer to the turbo guys on the board, but I think you're right on thinking that you're getting too much overlap in VTEC. That would also explain why a similar setup with an H23 caused you no problems. Before some dyno tuning, I think you need to get yourself a set of adjustable cam gears, and maybe some turbo-ready cams to tune your setup.

That's about as far as my turbo knowledge will let me answer your question. :)

you should get cam gear (hehehe, just like dohcvtec accord said) and try to advance exhaust.....or you can come to my shop and i can dyno it for you......

you say advance the ex cam? i figured you would try to redtard it and keep the valves closed longer? just a thought

Blake

The adjustable cam gears have nothing to do with how long the valves stay open or closed. Just WHEN. Your problem is that you have too much overlap when VTEC engages. So you'll want to advance the exhaust cam to get less overlap.

I am sorry i worded that wrong but i do kinda see what you are doing by advancing it.

anybody got a used set of gears?

Blake

do you have an egt gauge? What are your settings on the vafc?

Have you tried ditching the fmu and running the afc hack? A lot of guys on honda tech have had success with it

what exacly do you mean by hack afc?

egt 800 idle, 1100 runnin down the road 3000rpms, adn 1350 under boost.

Originally posted by eicivic@Feb 26 2003, 07:56 PM
what exacly do you mean by hack afc?

egt 800 idle, 1100 runnin down the road 3000rpms, adn 1350 under boost.

what are you air fuel settings?

try ditching the fmu and running the big injectors and -40 idle and -35% fuel cut for the rest...adjust it to perfection on the dyno

try ditching the fmu and running the big injectors and -40 idle and -35% fuel cut for the rest...adjust it to perfection on the dyno

geez thats scarry BUT if i was to use a fmu what reation would you recomend? and also do you have a graph pic of the setting you talk about on the vafc?
I am just kinda wondering about the vafc and no fmu because the boost will always come in at a differein spot depending on the load on the engine, right? Well if you are runnin down the road at 3k in fifth and come up on a hill and the turbo begins to build boost, would you or not still have the same fuel mapping adn the engeni would go lean? just a thought.

i have a pair of TODA cam gears....150 OBO

Are the cam gears are for an h22? whats the lowest you will go if i overnight you a moneyorder?

I JUST WANT THIS DAMN THING TO RUN :angry:

Post this in the Turbo Fourm you will get alot more replys

just wondering what RPM do you have your Vtec set to? mine kicks in at 5800

Jeff

Back