turbo manifold confusion? help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Delsol94

ok i just got a cast ebay manifold which comes with studs, and i have a volvo or saab t3 .42 .28 tubo with the weird round flange. i kno i need a flange adapter which im getting from atp but.... the turbo itself is threded too so how do i bolt the turbo/adapter flange to the manifold. do i drill the turbos holes out? anybody encounter this? thanks in advanced!!

i dnt have the adapter yet but im pretty sure it doesnt so yea what should i do? i think im gonna have to drill the turbos holes out i just dont wanna mess it up for the future. do aftermarket t3's have threads or not like a gt28 for example? im new to this idk what i should do thnaks

It appears that the adapter just bolts in between the turbo manifold and the turbocharger. In this case, you're only going to need one set of threaded holes. Which ones you want to be threaded is up to you, but personally I would remove the studs from the turbo manifold and keep the turbocharger threaded.

My turbo (Turbonetics T04E) isn't threaded, and neither is my manifold. I suspect this is the case with most aftermarket turbochargers.

Attachments

• d16 cast.jpg
    d16 cast.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 1,960
If the turbo has threads where it bolts to your manifold, you're gonna have to drill out those threads. Screw in the studs they give you (into the manifold), slide the turbo up against the manifold and use the nuts provided to tighten it down. Those ebay cast manifolds are honestly more trouble then they worth.

OR.. skip the cheap studs/nuts they give you. Find out what thread pattern the studs are, and go get bolts that match the thread pattern and just bolt it all together (through the turbo and into the manifold). Much more simplier, and easier to remove if need be.

Back