Turbo Manifold Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

1fastcrx

I just recently bought a 14b turbo off of a 1g DSM...does anyone know where I can get a good turbo manifold? The only company that has it that i know of is Greddy. every place I have looked at (online) only have manifolds for t3/t4 or t3 or t4...but no td05's Thanks for the help. Ahhh might help if I told you what I have. 90 crx with a b16. Thanks Again. Forgot to add that Greddy doesnt sell the manifold itself just the kits...

EDIT: I found one at South Florida Performance for 475. Just in case anyone else is looking for one as well.

Thanks Loco....is it really that simple? just make sure that the adapter is quality right? Also will the OEM manifold on the b16 hold up to the pressures of boosting....I figure I would run no more than 10 psi with stock internals and a hondata and proper tunning of course. Thanks again for your help.

The OEM manifold will sit the turbo too close to the engine. Before you make an adapter plate, bolt the manifold to the engine and place the turbo underneath it to see if everything clears. Leave at least a half inch between the turbo and anything it's near. Visualize how all the charge pipes and downpipe are going to run.

As for the adapter plate itself...

Use some 1/2" mild steel and have it machined so the faces are absolutly flat (do this with the exhaust manifold flange and the turbo flange too) so there's no leaks. Start by making templates of the turbo flange and the exhaust manifold flange and trace the exhaust manifold flange on the plate and overlay the turbo template over this. Make sure that none of the bolt holes line up.

There's a few different ways you can bolt everything up. You can drill and tap the plate and use studs, however, if you do this, you MUST make sure the stud extends through the other side of the plate, then grind off the excess, and stake it on both sides of the plate or it'll back off. The other way would be to drill holes and have recesses machined in the plate so the heads of the bolts are under the plate face. If you do the latter, you'd have to use roll pins to keep the bolt from turning when you tightened the nut.

I've made plates using the studs, and it works fine, as long as you use grade 10.5 studs and stake both ends well, and tighten everything VERY tight. Do not use spring lockwashers- their temper will be cooked right out of 'em during the first warm up/ cool down cycle. The only lock washer that'll survive on a turbo manifold is a star washer or some other interference type. Cost of the steel, studs, bolts, washers, and machine work should be under $50.

Thanks again Loco, you have given me great information not to mention saved me money on buying a turbo manifold.

:) Well, you should still buy a turbo manifold, but you don't have to worry about what fits your turbo. An idea that came to me was go to http://www.HondaTech.com and do a search in the FI board for "LoveFab." They make custom manifolds, and since they can make a manifold with a flange for your turbo, that may be cheaper than finding a turbo manifold and then making your own adapter plate...

BTW: Our tubular exhaust manifold way outflows most factory manifolds. Secondly the price is $425 if you're using an internally gated 14B turbo and third, Hondaswap members get a discount off the manifolds. Look in the vendor booth for details.

So basically the 14b turbo has the same flange as a t25? And when I look into a turbo manifold as long as I get a b16 turbo manifold with the t25 flange I would be fine. I do appreciate everyones comments. Thanks again.

Ok there are two different T25's... There are T25's from Garrett that have a T2 flange. Then there are T25's that garrett made for Mitsu that have a 14B flange. Hope that clears things up.

Back