turbo mini me cx

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I currently have a 93 cx and a mini me conversion(head,manifold etc). People say this will give me about 130hp +or-. I was considering making a turbo kit to try and bump my hp close to 200. The car will be mainly used for auto x.

here are a few question I was hoping someone could help me with:

What is the cr with a mini me swap..and how low should I try to reduce it for a turbo? ie what head gasket to get

What is the stock cx tranny/clutch able to handle for hp?

Will the cx internals handle any kind of boost?

Please dont tell me just to swap engine/tranny.. I know I have this option but I am researching what can be done with what I have.

thanx guys :worthy:

did you swap out your stock pistons?

the CX pistons are 8 valve reflief, and a vtec head, in theory, shouldn't work, due to the high lift of the vtec profile would cause valve tap on the piston. If you did this, i think you are the first.

I have the vtech head but have not put it on yet. From my research on mini me stuff.. i got the impression that any D15 bottom end would work with a D16 head. I remember asking in some forum if the pistons would matter.. and the response I got was that they would( ie 16valve pistons are the same as 8valve pistons?). If anyone knows if I should be ok with my stock pistons please tell me..if not what can I do?

See, thats wht i'm not sure on.

I knwo for FACT that the 4th gen 8-valve motors have 8-valve relief pistons. i have never seen a 5th gen d15 8-valve with its head off before, so i can't say for sure what style pistons it uses.

if it has 8-valve style pistons, do NOT put on the vtec head.
the dx head you can get away with, but the vtec lift will simply bump the valves right into the piston, and you will have a mess.
So, when you take off the stock head, not the pistons. does it have 2 or 4 valve reliefs? if it has 4- you are all set, it if has 2, i wouldn't do it.

ok, then they are 16 vlave relief. you are all set :)

After doing more research I am finding I just have more questions. My goal is to make my CX into a 10lb/hp car(why i dunno. kinda a personal goal if possible). Which means I need to make around 200hp. I already have everything for the mini me conversion..which should get me to around 130hp. So I want to add a turbo to get the rest of the hp. So my proposed shopping list is this(not including random hoses, fabrication parts and hardware).

cx exhaust manifold(modify to fit turbo)
T-25 turbo off eclipse
bov
front mount intercooler
piping for exhaust and charge
DSM 450cc injectors+resitor box
bigger fuel pump
gauges
engine managment is where i need help.

Since the stock turbo wastegate is set at 8psi..I figure this is high enough to produce the hp I need(maybe even tune down if possible). Any estimates how much boost i need to run through this turbo to get 200hp? I was just gonna control the injectors with a apexi vafc. I am still trying to figure out ignition timing or if i even need to. Do I need something like a MSD control or can i rotate the distributer or just leave it alone?

Does this setup sound possible? or am i gonna end up destroying my motor in week? Any input/opinions are welcome. thanx

8 psi on t25 is not much power.
remember, talons are roughly 200 hp... at the CRANK, and they run 14 psi out of the factory on a 2.0 DOHC motor. granted you will have higer compression (about 10:1 vs the talons 8.8:1) and thus make it more powerful, but i'd say its going to need at LEAST 10 psi to hit 200 horse at the WHEELS.

the vafc hack is fine... but it is only capable of 10.65 psi. if you hit that, and still don't meet your goal, youre pretty much screwed, and have to deal with less than 200 whp. reason being, the vafc hack tricks the map into reading - voltages, so that it feed the big injectors very shortlyand doesn't throw a map code to the ecu. the stock map sensor can only read 10.65, simply because its a 2-bar map. if you are high up in elveation, this number drops a little bit due to atmosphereic pressure.

as for timing, a cheap alternative is the MSD BTM. the problem with turning back the dizzy, is that its ALWAYS retarded. with boost, you want to retard about .5-.75 (morepower/harder tune - safer/less power) per psi of boost. so at idel, and below say 2500 rpms, having retarded timing will eat your power some. and up top, running 10 psi = 5-7 degreees retarded... something that you really don't want to run at idel at all. for these reasons i think the btm is a good option and just leave the dizzy put at stock timing.

the CX is probably the weakest motor honda ever built. will it last? depends how you tune it- if you bring it to the dyno and get it wideband tuned on the vafc with someone who knows the vafc hack settings... or not. generally people run -40 to -30 at the top end for the fuel settings, but its different for every car.
and even tuned well, theres a good chance that you might break one of those tweeny rods.

frankly, if you're building for autox, i wouldn't do this at all. you will be placed in dmod with all this, and simply not stand a chance. my car will be in dmod- itr powered cars are in dmod, h22 turbo cars are in dmod... catch my drift? if you want to be at all competitive, keep it as a mini me n/a, and race is dsp if you have suspension/wheels and some bolt ons. just say its an Si :p
but thats your choice.

hey thanks for the help again. you answered my questions and then some. It didnt really occur to me that this setup would kick me into a different auto x class. Last time I raced it was in sts..and i ripped pretty good on some B16s with the cx motor.hehe My roomate has a Subaru 2.5rs that he turbo'd..he is in SM or SM2 i dont remember.. So i figured if I turbo'd my cx it would be same class. If I turbo'd a complete D16z6 instead of my frankenstein.. what class would I be? Or how can I squeeze some more hp out of my mini me without being placed with some real nasty cars?

cx is not all that weak... the block is almost the same fucking thing as a dx.i think everything is the same except the engine code stamped on em. the head(everything that goes with it) and tranny is what is different on the motors.

I'm not 100% sure on your class. Many local events use their own classes. refer to this: http://scca.org/amateur/solo2/classes/index.html and your lcoal autox website.

If I turbo'd a complete D16z6 instead of my frankenstein.. what class would I be?

D modified again, not orig. engine in the chassis. and the turbo doesn't help either.
Or how can I squeeze some more hp out of my mini me without being placed with some real nasty cars?

you don't.

the most competitive cars, are 100% stock 91 crx si's, 1.8L miatas, stock ///M3's
and 5.0L mustang powered volvos in e-mod :)

Back