turbo on a budget

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a jdm d15b which i turboing. i have stock internals. im interested in building the pistons and or rods but i am only looking for about 160+ hp @ ?psi. keeping it simple with a manifold, t25 turbo, and 12:1 a high pressure line fuel pump do i need to build the internals or am i safe? Also, aruond how much psi should i push, and how much hp is a safe hp?

thanks for all the knowledge

You'll be fine on the stock internals as long as you tune it correctly. 160whp is easy on a D block under mild boost.

thanks Calesta.

awesome. how much boost are we talking 6...8. and are those upgrades what i need to reach around 160 or higher. or should i get and intercooler, bov, or 450 injectors? do you know of any reliable brands that make high pressur line fuel pumps? is the eclipse gts a t25 if so is it what i am looking for?

when you say tune, what do you mean...exactly.

also how do i tap the oil line to feed my turbo his medicine?

thanks Calesta.

well i can answer the tuneing question basically tuning means if your going to run hondata or any managment system like that you need to get it tuned by a speacialized tuner in that type of tuning and a good one so your ecu is send right codes and what ever else like that , also you should also consider buying a BOV and makesure you have a wastegate aswell the best brand i thnk is tial for both BOV and wastegate and as far as the intercooler i would get one .just trying to help a little i bet he ^knows more than me on this so he'll clear things up for you that i prolly said wrong.

just get a 1g dsm bov... they are like $30 and work great. intercooler would make it much safer. johnyracer.com for 190 on sale right now. that tubo is internally gated so don't worry about a wastegate. FMU is really a poor choice for engine management. look into a freeware system like uberdata/crome/turboedit and run 450s. you could get away with the fmu and stock injectors though.

thanks for all the knowledge!

so i would be on the right track (safe) if i used:

bov 30$ but what is "1g dsm"
t25 50$ eclipse
ehaust manifold 250$? ebay
intercooler 190$ johnyracer.com
450 injectors 100$? what brand though?

also how do i tap the oil? i dont think i want to run an intercooler just becasue there isn't that much space in my bay, and i dont want to pay for the extra piping. so without the intercooler i am looking at around how much hp at 6-8 psi (if that is a safe amount). and are there any alternatives to the piping, like old accords (i think they come on accords) heav the down pipes that are bendalble and look like mess metal stuff or do they not hold under compression? could i use some piping that i could find at lowes or home depot maybe?

thanks for all the help!!

Originally posted by ndogg@May 7 2004, 12:10 AM
FMU is really a poor choice for engine management. look into a freeware system like uberdata/crome/turboedit

what is that?
why is fmu no good?

Originally posted by h22bubbleback@May 7 2004, 12:05 PM
fmu adjust how much pressure of fuel there is....it will stay constent throw out the power curve where as hondata will adjust as it needs to

umm... NO. an fmu raises fuel pressure according to boost. a 12:1 FMU raises the fuel pressure 12 psi per psi of boost. if you run 8psi of boost, your total fuel pressure will be 130psi. thats why this method SUX.

i'm not sure what manifold you are looking at on ebay but chances are its a piece of shit. get over to www.homemadeturbo.com there is a dude that sells logs for 185 i believe.

1g dsm... first generation eclipse/talon/laser

the 450s should be found for around $50, they too are from a dsm. if you get the injectors though you will NOT be able to run an FMU, you will need to run some type of fuel management like uberdata/hondata or at least the "hack" but i wouldn't really recomend that either.

hmmm...
i am no EXPERT but i have done a lot of research and am in the turbo-ing process myself so i will try to help you out...

homemadeturbo.com is mint

1g dsm = first gen dsm eclipse
dsm = diamond star motors or the rough translation for mitsubishi...
mitsubishi = three diamonds or some shit like that
as noted about eclipse, talon and laser are all pretty much the same car...

you can use an HF manifold and an adapter plate for an ever cheaper setup, and much better than a piece of shit egay mani that WILL break on you

some turbos have both internal or built in wastegates and blow off valves...

you don;t need to buy expensive intercooler tubing
go to home depot and get 3 inch pvc, or 2.5, and while you are there get the elbows and rubber couplings as well as clamps to hold it all together

50 is prob not enough for a good used t25 by the way
and you can also use the intercooler off the eclipse or any other turbo car for far cheaper than 190... and you don;t need it in the engine bay
most mount it right behind the front bumper...

and if you are going 8psi, which should be safe on the stock internals just use the fmu and your stock injectors... or course its not the BEST way, but this is a budget setup... but i would advise an additional or upgraded fuel pump but you don;t NEED it to get this started...

and an intercooler is HIGHLY advisable...
its more important than you think
the intercooler serves to cool the air, which we all know
and cooler air is denser with oxygen which we all know...
and more oxygen also means you can have more fuel burned in the cimbustion chamber which = more power... all common sense...

but the cooler air also lowers the temps inside the combustion chamber and thereby helping to reduce and or eliminate detonation...

so intercoolers are a good way to keep your motor from grenading...
an intercooler will not do it alone, but it is a big part of helping to prevent detonation...

thanks ndogg. much props!

so cancel the 12:1 fuel pressure idea than sucks.

how much psi should i be pumping to reach 160whp or more? how do you tap the oil? will the 450 off the first gen eclipse fit with my fuel rail and electrical hook ups?
any ideas on bendable piping? how badly do i have to have i bov, my goal is the cheapest most reliable turbo setup that makes the most hp/$. does any one out there make your own tubular manifold? because i am interested.

thanks for all the knowledge!

Originally posted by reckedracing@May 7 2004, 12:37 PM
just use the fmu and your stock injectors...

what exactly is fmu? fuel management upgrade? does that mean ecu from zdyne?

awesome on the pvc my dad does sprinklers for a living so i got those pipes stacked in my garage i just didint know if it would be safe near the engine with melting and so forth.
thanks.

fuel managment unit

just search for it on ebay and you'll see what it is

homemadeturbo.com
in the forums... bmc racing sells EVERY diffrent kind of plate you would want as well as actualy tubular or log style manifolds...

oil would be taken from the back of the block, preferably from where the stock oil pressure sensor bolts in...

again, PLEASE refer to homemadeturbo.com for an abundance of information...

and yes, you should def get a BOV to keep the pressure from going back to your compressor turbine when the throttle body closes when no throttle...

awesome.

i have a crx hf and the old exhaust manifold is sitting in my garage, so i am definitly going with it and a plate. what is the site for bmc racing?

i don't think they have a site man...

HOMEMADETURBO.COM -> forums... they have a locked thread in the top 5 on the shit for sale threads... and their e-mail address is there as well
they are sbcglobal e-mail so i guess no website, and i also searched for a website for them with no luck

anyone on here every get a manifold from them? their plates look real clean but no mani pics...

and here's an idea for you to keep costs down...
if you don't already have the turbo look into getting a volvo turbo from a bone yard... they have internal wastegates, as well as built in blow off valves, they are both oiled, and water cooled, and you can chop the first 1.5 feet of exhaust downpipe to try and use for your custom downpipe...
and they sell plates for the tdo4h which is what the volvo is...

werd

and another note...
if you don't wanna go dsm injectors you can try and find some h22 lude injectors and see if they will work, they are around 340cc r 350 cc, which is a big diffrence compared to your 240cc ish stock injectors... i THINK they are 240 anyway...

you have a nonvtec motor right?

another cheapo option is the mini-me which yields around 130 with a higher compression ratio and it will make power all the way to 8K rpm cause of the "excellent rod to stroke ratio"... higher compression isn't great for a turbo but the vtec cam will really help the engine breath that boost through :)

WTF is going on here? I leave for a few days and come back to this shit?

OK, first off... minimes SUCK FUCKING BALLS, mmkay? I don't care how well yours or your friends run, they still suck. High comp. + turbo = bad times. And what's this excellent rod ratio you speak of? Last time I checked, D15's had a shitty 1.58 ratio. Whoopty. You want SOHC VTEC? Don't be a cheap shit; buy the whole motor and get the ECU so you don't go ass lean while in VTEC.

Second, do NOT use PVC pipe in the engine. Not only will it melt, but when it does, it'll release deadly toxins that you could breathe. Don't be a cheap ass- use some mild steel piping you can find at any hardware store.

Fuel- FMU, high pressure IN LINE pump, and a missing link. When using an FMU, you see fuel pressures as high as 175 PSI and NO in tank pump is going to support this.

Intercoolers- those johnnyracer ICs suck big time. Look at their internal cross sections... I measured one that a friend had and it came out to the equivalent of a 1.7" pipe! Not only that, but they're so goddamn long. Oh sure, they fill the grill, but they're show pieces with next to no functionality. Yes, in some cases, an intercooler is worse than none at all, and this is one. You want a good IC that flows well for cheap? MX-6/ Probe GT IC or one from a Cougar XR-7.

HP levels- With a T25, expect 180-ish HP at 8 PSI, and that's it if you're using an FMU.

And what the hell is this Volvo turbo with a built in BOV? Are you on crack? Have you ever actually seen under the hood of a Volvo? Do I need to tell you why I'm saying this?

Stock injectors are 295. Prelude injectors won't make much difference when you're using an AFC hack/ SMC.

Recked, you're a great guy, but please, for the sake of the newbies engines, stop posting. 90% of what you post is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back