turbo on a budget

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
might be a Compressor bypass valve, not bov

and it was the mitsubishi turbos on volvo 700 and 900 series wagons

i also stand corrected on all above factors

:worthy: loco

Compressor bypass valve, for all intentes and purposes, is a BOV. The only difference is a technicality where the bypass valve is vented back into the intake of the turbo. Post a picture.

yea... i know that ish... thought you might try and call me out on a technicality to further your 90% figure... :)

so in your professionally worthy opinion its not worth it to boost a mini-me? i'm starting at dpfi POS motor with a couple slightly bent valves... so please advise a direction...

i can get the vtec head cheap, well actually the whole motor cheap but its got 175K miles on it...

i know high compression is bad for forced induction, but i'm only looking for tops of 6 psi...

If you listen to ANYONE on this board about boost jdmvteccrx LISTEN TO LOCO. He knows his shit really well. :worthy:

Not trying to call you on it. I'm really interested, because I've NEVER heard of a turbo with an internal bypass valve.

Minimes aren't worth it period, as NA or boosted. For a few more bucks than what the head costs you, you could have the whole engine, which will alleviate your timing belt problems. You still have the engine management to deal with, because the fuel and ignition curves are totally different in VTEC, and unless you have a way to advance the timing and add more fuel in VTEC, it'll go lean. Trust me, I know from experience. Go buy two valves for $8 a piece and lap them in yourself. The difference in head flow between the DX/ Si and VTEC heads is minimal, and even less significant when you're boosting. I laugh whenever I hear someone say "6 PSI tops." Yeah, you know that after you get used to it, you WILL turn it up. Trust me.

thanks for all the help. i appriciate everyones knowledge. anyone else is free to add in.

to clear things up:

stock hf exhaust manifold w/ plate

volvo or mitsubishi turbo or are they the same?

downpipe from exhaust shop

probe, cougar, or mx6 intercooler. pick up the intercooler piping found on the car a mod it?

wastegate is not needed because its in the turbo

bov is or isn t in the turbo that is most efficient for me to run?

no pvc, but what then. specifics! example... "you turbo pipes may possibly be 2 inch cast iron found at any ace hardware for 2dolars a foot and 90 and 45 rubber angles for 5 dollars each."

with highly technical directions... how do i tap the oil??????

thanks again for answering

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@May 7 2004, 02:34 PM
Intercoolers- those johnnyracer ICs suck big time. Look at their internal cross sections... I measured one that a friend had and it came out to the equivalent of a 1.7" pipe! Not only that, but they're so goddamn long. Oh sure, they fill the grill, but they're show pieces with next to no functionality. Yes, in some cases, an intercooler is worse than none at all, and this is one. You want a good IC that flows well for cheap? MX-6/ Probe GT IC or one from a Cougar XR-7.

That was the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard. You need to take your own advice and stop posting. Those johnnyracecar intercoolers are about the best intercoolers you can get if your on a budget (this guy is) so that would be the best choice for him. They work perfectly fine and do the job well. I am currently running the 5 inch tall intercooler and it flows very well. My buddy was using a 6 inch tall johnnyracecar intercooler on his 302whp turbo b20/vtec CRX and ran 12.03 in the 1/4 mile and it worked just fine. He also has a custom johnnyracecar intercooler made for his built ls/vtec.

Oh and go to www.jcwhitney.com for your intercooler piping. You can get mandrel bends pretty cheap from there.

Originally posted by jdmvteccrx@May 8 2004, 12:55 AM
with highly technical directions... how do i tap the oil??????

1) buy a fitting from tunertoys.com
2) unscrew your stock pressure sending unit
3) screw the tunertoys fitting into the block
4) screw the pressure sender into the back of that
5) screw the oil feed line fitting into the side of the tunertoys fitting

you are now tapped for oil.

Originally posted by brasilianstreet@May 6 2004, 11:34 PM
well i can answer the tuneing question basically tuning means if your going to run hondata or any managment system like that you need to get it tuned by a speacialized tuner in that type of tuning and a good one so your ecu is send right codes and what ever else like that ,

tuning is just getting the ignition timing,cam timing, and air/fuel ratio right.

i think reckedracing is thinking about a internal wastegate, not a internal bypass valve.

That was the biggest bunch of crap I have ever heard. You need to take your own advice and stop posting. Those johnnyracecar intercoolers are about the best intercoolers you can get if your on a budget (this guy is) so that would be the best choice for him. They work perfectly fine and do the job well. I am currently running the 5 inch tall intercooler and it flows very well. My buddy was using a 6 inch tall johnnyracecar intercooler on his 302whp turbo b20/vtec CRX and ran 12.03 in the 1/4 mile and it worked just fine. He also has a custom johnnyracecar intercooler made for his built ls/vtec.

if you're on a budget the BEST way to go is with a junkyard intercooler... wtf are you talking about mate?

i think reckedracing is thinking about a internal wastegate, not a internal bypass valve.

now i really wish i took those pics this weekend
it is both internal wastegate and a built in compressor bypass valve on the compressor snail shell...

JY IC can be a real pain if you don't have access to an aluminum TIG. That's all I ahve to say about that. (I do have an AC TIG at my disposal so...)

Originally posted by reckedracing@May 10 2004, 09:31 AM
if you're on a budget the BEST way to go is with a junkyard intercooler... wtf are you talking about mate?

What am I talking about? I am talking about you can get a 5 inch tall johnnyracecar intercooler brand new for $175 shipped right now. They are good to 300whp so if you build your motor you can still use it. Being on a budget doesn't always mean buying the "cheapeast" thing you can get your hands on. When I built my budget turbo kit I tried to leave as much room for upgrade as I could. I spent a total of $1100 and when I put rods/pistons in my engine I won't have to change anything except a GM 3bar map sensor. I spent $310 for my brand new remanufactured turbo and yes I could have saved more money by getting a used turbo. I just think some things are worth the extra money. A junkyard intercooler will work and be cheaper, but spending a little extra for a good upgradeable intercooler is worth it if you ask me.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass+May 8 2004, 03:36 PM-->
Loco Honkey
@May 7 2004, 02:34 PM
Intercoolers- those johnnyracer ICs suck big time.  Look at their internal cross sections... I measured one that a friend had and it came out to the equivalent of a 1.7" pipe!  Not only that, but they're so goddamn long.  Oh sure, they fill the grill, but they're show pieces with next to no functionality.  Yes, in some cases, an intercooler is worse than none at all, and this is one.  You want a good IC that flows well for cheap?  MX-6/ Probe GT IC or one from a Cougar XR-7.

Oh and go to www.jcwhitney.com for your intercooler piping. You can get mandrel bends pretty cheap from there.

You're right. I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, and I never have. I've just been pulling all my posts out of my ass, kinda like the numbers I got when I tested a friends johnnyracer IC with a manometer. I won't even bother posting them because you won't believe me, because your buddy (not you, your buddy) ran a 12.03 1/4 mile. I mean, that's irrefutable proof that the intercoolers work, despite the fact that a B20/VTEC CRX can run a 12.03 1/4 without any boost at all, so yeah, that IC must be doing a great job!

I'm curious... you say it flows well... why do you say this? Where's the numbers? Have you measured the internal cross section and actually measured how many CFMs that hunk of crap will allow to leak through? You'd shit your pants if I told you the pressure drop I found across that IC at 10 PSI. Then again, you might not because your buddy has mad 1/4 mile skills.

Please...

The FACT is they fucking work. I hate it when people get all technical about shit when it doesn't need to be. It does what it's supposed to do and it's cheap. It flows well enough to support 300whp and more, that's good enough for a lot of us. It works fine on my car, and it worked fine on my buddy's car, and when he has his built LS/Vtec (proly 500whp) the custom johnnyracecar intercooler he had made for him will work fine also. For somebody on a budget it's about the best intercooler you will find. Much better than some junkyard intercooler and a hell of a lot cheaper than some expensive brand name intercooler.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@May 11 2004, 02:00 PM
I hate it when people get all technical about shit when it doesn't need to be.

:lmao:

Son, that statement right there proves to me that you really don't have even the slightest grasp of how intercooling works, thermodynamics, or even the basics of aerodynamics. I'm not going to post any more on this thread, because you pretty much disproved your point.

Wait... I need to see it again...

I hate it when people get all technical about shit when it doesn't need to be.

That's fucking classic. In fact, it's going in my sig. Thanks! :)

Again the FACT is that it works and it will get the job done for cheap. It cools the air going into the engine and that's what's supposed to do. It will flow enough air for almost everybody here unless you have a built motor making gobs of horsepower. You saying they are garabge is nothing but bullshit. Turbocharging your car doesn't mean you have to be a rocket scientist.

...pussy. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back