turbo on a budget

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Custom Coach

How about these intercoolers. You can get them for about $230 if you wait for a group buy on homrmadeturbo.com. They might be a little better designed for you? Why don't you take one of them to your testing labs and let me know the results lol. I have a friend running one of these also and it works fine on his car. It cools the air down going into the engine just fine. Remember this is a budget build up so getting the best intercooler known to man is not an option. Getting and intercooler that works well for cheap is the goal. These intercooelrs and johnnyracecar intercoolers will work better than some shitty IC you get at the junkyard, just like that shitty intercooler you get at the junkyard will be better than no intercooler.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+May 11 2004, 02:13 PM-->
beerbongskickass
@May 11 2004, 02:00 PM
I hate it when people get all technical about shit when it doesn't need to be.

:lmao:

Son, that statement right there proves to me that you really don't have even the slightest grasp of how intercooling works, thermodynamics, or even the basics of aerodynamics. I'm not going to post any more on this thread, because you pretty much disproved your point.

Wait... I need to see it again...

That's fucking classic. In fact, it's going in my sig. Thanks! :)

Wait...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hold on...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Heh

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@May 11 2004, 02:00 PM
The FACT is they fucking work. I hate it when people get all technical about shit when it doesn't need to be. It does what it's supposed to do and it's cheap. It flows well enough to support 300whp and more, that's good enough for a lot of us. It works fine on my car, and it worked fine on my buddy's car, and when he has his built LS/Vtec (proly 500whp) the custom johnnyracecar intercooler he had made for him will work fine also. For somebody on a budget it's about the best intercooler you will find. Much better than some junkyard intercooler and a hell of a lot cheaper than some expensive brand name intercooler.

In any case, what about trying to find out what's best for your money instead of just taking someone's blind recommendation? Just because something is cheap doesn't mean that it's the best choice. I'll bet that quite a few of the intercoolers you can find used or in the junkyard will outperform your JohnnyRacer or whatever stuff.

If it "flows well enough to support 300whp" well shit... most intercoolers on the market flow well enough for 300whp! Don't you want to know which is best instead of just buying what your friend has on his car? Recommendations mean a lot, but that doesn't mean you should go around telling everyone that this is the best choice for intercoolers under $300 when you don't have any proof to back it up.

Some people really want to know, and "good enough" isn't quite right when it's your own dollar on the line. "Best for my money" is where I think most people like to be.

Best intercooler you can buy for the money... hands down. Johnnyracecar intercoolers on sale right now for $175 and $205... On Sale! Custom Coach intercoolers can also be had for $250... :thumbsup:

Let's see you find me a better one in the $200 price range... I bet you can't. ;)

just did a budget turbo kit on a 93 dx....stock internals, t25 turbo, starion intercooler, volvo 760 bov, hf manifold, and for fuel we are only using a B&M fpr running lots of fuel but if it were my car i would have more fuel upgrades....but we are running 8 psi on the d15 and we beat a mustang gt and got a mr2 turbo by half a car.

Originally posted by BseriesKllR@May 11 2004, 03:25 PM
just did a budget turbo kit on a 93 dx....stock internals, t25 turbo, starion intercooler, volvo 760 bov, hf manifold, and for fuel we are only using a B&M fpr running lots of fuel but if it were my car i would have more fuel upgrades....but we are running 8 psi on the d15 and we beat a mustang gt and got a mr2 turbo by half a car.

Awesome stuff! Budget is the way to go. B)

Here is a nice little write up on the johnnyracecar intercoolers. My buddy went from a starion IC to a johnnyracecar IC and actually noticed an improvement... http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.p...id=2410;start=0

Best intercooler you can buy for the money... hands down.

dude
what do you have stock in that shit or are you just stroking johnny's cock for fun???

they might be cheap and decent for the price but i doubt they are the best bang for the buck... but your mom sure is
bahahhahahahahhahaa

just kidding :lol:

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@May 11 2004, 03:15 PM
Best intercooler you can buy for the money... hands down. Johnnyracecar intercoolers on sale right now for $175 and $205... On Sale! Custom Coach intercoolers can also be had for $250... :thumbsup:

Let's see you find me a better one in the $200 price range... I bet you can't. ;)

You know, I'm not really sure where to start with you... I offer scientific proof that the ICs suck, and you call me a pussy and get all butt hurt about how fact is brought into the picture, and you you spew this shit out your filty pie hole about fucking good these things are. FUCKING PROVE IT OR SHUT THE FUCK UP. I've got a new apartment to move into and a meet to host at the end of this month, but in early June, I'll fucking post pictures of my manometer tests of this worthless pile of shit, proving beyond a shadow of a doubt (unless you're a fucking retard, which you most certainly are), that the johnnyracer ICs are worse than having NO IC AT ALL!

Now you've got two choices... you can either shut the fuck up now, or try to PROVE me wrong with facts and numbers, or you can get the shit smacked out of you in a few weeks when I'm able to post my data.

Budget or not, that's no excuse for using half assed parts. I guess I have to explain this to you, you fucking half-wit inbred, because you obviously don't get it. There's upwards of a 4 PSI drop across that fucking core. 4 FUCKING PSI!!! That means that if the manifold is seeing 6 PSI, the turbo is having to make 10. If the manifold sees 10, the turbo's making 14. Oh, it gets better... Because there's only seven rows, it'll heatsoak within two gear pulls, and after that, it's not really doing much in the way of cooling. Restriction= heat. Heat soaking = more heat. Heat + more heat = lower detonation threshold. Lower detonation threshold = me throwing a 64oz Slurpee at your stupid ass walking on the side of the road after your car blew up as I drive by. Do you get this? Does this fucking make sense? Do I have to draw you pretty pictures using all sixty fucking four colors in the box? Or should I just ram the box up your ass in hopes that you begin to fathom just a smidgen of the ammount of damage your engine will experience when the combustion pressures exceed mechanical limitations?

Now, I was happy leaving it at a professional exchange of knowledge, but you had to make it personal by calling me a pussy, so in reply to that I say this... my knowledge stack will punch you in the colon, shit on your mom's pot roast, and knock your sister up, and there's not a fucking thing you can do about it, sausage tits. Suck on that, you filthy fuck hole.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey+May 11 2004, 02:13 PM-->
beerbongskickass
@May 11 2004, 02:00 PM

:lmao:

Son, that statement right there proves to me that you really don't have even the slightest grasp of how intercooling works, thermodynamics, or even the basics of aerodynamics. I'm not going to post any more on this thread, because you pretty much disproved your point.

Wait... I need to see it again...

That's fucking classic. In fact, it's going in my sig. Thanks! :)

who cares?

its just a fucking space shuttle y0. shit, like we never been in space before. forget about the correct fuel mixtures for the rocket boosters.....

forget about calculating the trajectory of the entire flight path.

just light a match under the rocket and goto the moooon

i could just see this dumbfuck woring at nasa one day.... :lol:

my knowledge stack will punch you in the colon, shit on your mom's pot roast, and knock your sister up, and there's not a fucking thing you can do about it, sausage tits. Suck on that, you filthy fuck hole.

bahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahhaha

sausage tits
bahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

ooh shit

so loco, what do you think of lets say a dsm or probe intercooler?
i've "heard" the probes flow well, but have no proof... any advise?

and do you NEED an inline pump when running an FMU?

Originally posted by beerbongskickass@May 11 2004, 03:15 PM

your avatar kinda looks like the guy who stole my stereo....
s40a13d4c09c5a.jpg

is that you?

WHERES MY FUCKING STEREO???????????????????????????????????

l0c0's got a lot of built up anger inside that genius mind of his...

what a way with words.... you got me rolling...

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@May 11 2004, 09:43 PM
Budget or not, that's no excuse for using half assed parts. I guess I have to explain this to you, you fucking half-wit inbred, because you obviously don't get it. There's upwards of a 4 PSI drop across that fucking core. 4 FUCKING PSI!!! That means that if the manifold is seeing 6 PSI, the turbo is having to make 10. If the manifold sees 10, the turbo's making 14. Oh, it gets better... Because there's only seven rows, it'll heatsoak within two gear pulls, and after that, it's not really doing much in the way of cooling. Restriction= heat. Heat soaking = more heat. Heat + more heat = lower detonation threshold. Lower detonation threshold = me throwing a 64oz Slurpee at your stupid ass walking on the side of the road after your car blew up as I drive by. Do you get this? Does this fucking make sense? Do I have to draw you pretty pictures using all sixty fucking four colors in the box? Or should I just ram the box up your ass in hopes that you begin to fathom just a smidgen of the ammount of damage your engine will experience when the combustion pressures exceed mechanical limitations?

Now, I was happy leaving it at a professional exchange of knowledge, but you had to make it personal by calling me a pussy, so in reply to that I say this... my knowledge stack will punch you in the colon, shit on your mom's pot roast, and knock your sister up, and there's not a fucking thing you can do about it, sausage tits. Suck on that, you filthy fuck hole.

I'd like to thank you Ji for making me laugh, that's just too damn funny. :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :bo: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

if i wasnt laughin so hard i think i might feel bad for that guy cuz gettin raped that hard has to hurt :owned:

I'm not saying I don't believe your tests. I'm not saying I know more than you. I never said they were the best flowing intercoolers evar. I said they will flow well enough for 300whp and get the job done. For a budget setup this is the best bang for your buck. You won't find another brand new FMIC for the same price. Lots of people are using these intercoolers and they work just fine. The FACT is they do what they are supposed to do and they are cheap.

Your statement that they are worthless and worse than having no intercooler at all is not true and just ignorant. If anybody believes that statement they are just as ignorant as you are. :roll:

What I believe is that if I am spending the money, not only on my turbo, but also on the motor it's running, why on earth would I buy the cheapest "because it works" part I could find, when for not too much more, you can safely run more boost?

Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 11 2004, 04:37 PM
What I believe is that if I am spending the money, not only on my turbo, but also on the motor it's running, why on earth would I buy the cheapest "because it works" part I could find, when for not too much more, you can safely run more boost?

exactly. its like buying a ferrari and shoeing it with the 10.00 retread tires you get from east la.

"budget" and "turbo" can not and should not be synonymous.

i learned from first hand experience.

Originally posted by 92b16vx@May 11 2004, 04:37 PM

I understand what your saying, but remember this is a BUDGET turbo kit. Why spend 400-500 or even more for an intercooler when you can get one for 200 that will work just fine for your setup? I spent $1100 total on my budget turbo kit and my car runs great. I made pretty decent numbers for 10 psi on my stock d-series. Boosting doesn't mean you have to spend thousands or dollars. Turbocharging your car can be done well for cheap and my setup proves that.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass+May 11 2004, 04:52 PM-->
@May 11 2004, 04:37 PM

I understand what your saying, but remember this is a BUDGET turbo kit. Why spend 400-500 or even more for an intercooler when you can get one for 200 that will work just fine for your setup? I spent $1100 total on my budget turbo kit and my car runs great. I made pretty decent numbers for 10 psi on my stock d-series. Boosting doesn't mean you have to spend thousands or dollars. Turbocharging your car can be done well for cheap and my setup proves that.

i agree with loco on this one.

you are comparing how your car is running in the short term and loco is comparing how your car WILL be running in the long term.

fuck the numbers dude. your number one concern should be reliability. unless you really dont care if your motor blows or not.

why spend 400 more? because you get what you pay for.

Originally posted by beerbongskickass+May 11 2004, 10:52 PM-->
@May 11 2004, 04:37 PM

You by your own admission said that the important stuff should be choosen with quality in mind, is'nt that why you bought your turbo new? I mena you can get a reman, or a really good used one for a lot less. If you are planning on making good power, an intercooler helps dramatically, so I would equate this with the important catagory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back