turbo or head swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97integrars

So i'm new here, but i'm sure someone can help me out a bit. I have a 97 rs integra, just ur base ls engine with the 4spd auto, nd i'm not sure which way I wanna go. im looking to put the up to around 200whp.

I have heard great things about doing a head swap. Though most ppl I have been talking to say that I would be better off going turbo.

So I guess my question is which way would I get more bang for my buck?

So i'm new here, but i'm sure someone can help me out a bit. I have a 97 rs integra, just ur base ls engine with the 4spd auto, nd i'm not sure which way I wanna go. im looking to put the up to around 200whp.

I have heard great things about doing a head swap. Though most ppl I have been talking to say that I would be better off going turbo.

So I guess my question is which way would I get more bang for my buck?

The first item on your list should be an auto-to-manual swap, or selling your car and buying a stick-shift one instead. I wouldn't waste my time with either of these two options you've presented on a slush-box Integra...

I have thought about doing a stick shift swap, or jus as said buying an already stick car. The general opinion in my area tho is that using the auto tranny with a turbo means once I spool up it would stay that way (I havent heard diff bout a stick tho).

I have tried to find a stick car in the area for a reasonable amount but so far im s.o.l.

The general opinion in my area tho is that using the auto tranny with a turbo means once I spool up it would stay that way (I havent heard diff bout a stick tho).

What does that even mean? I really don't know. What I do know is that the majority of Honda auto transmissions are NOT designed to be handling much more power then whatever engine they were attached to puts out in stock form. Boost on your automatic and it will most likely be broken before too long. The manual versions are much more durable, and I really don't see how the automatic would be any better performance-wise either...

i think he heard the old "auto better 4 turbo cuz throddle body stay open!!!!1"... if you want my answer i would say do both. feel free to call me out guys

No....stick shift, please. Auto is no good if you wanna have performance. If you are sick of shifting and like the auto...all good but don't expect to get 200whp and have that auto be quicker then a stick....turbo or not...butterfly open all the time or not.

They're not made for performance....its not a muscle car trans...its an auto trans made by Honda.

IMO Bad move to put money into an auto Integra. Stick shift conversion is an option but can be extensive project if you've never done it or hate sitting under the dash for extended periods of time (I hate it)

Get a Stick shift Honda/Acura and then think about turbo or head swap. Either one will cost you at least $2K and both need knowledge to make them work correctly.

thanks for the advice. yeah I did get the "throttle body stays open" speech (more often then wanted) guess I'll keep lookin for that elusive stick integra (found one in the area, dude wants way to much for it). anyone have one or just the needed parts for a swap for sale?

once you spool up, your auto tranny will blow up. lol

honda/acra automatic trannys are garbage.

^^^They really are. Source a manual swap.. Try hmotorsonline.com. They can hook you up with good stuff and help you with the basic needs, we'll walk you through the rest.

The general opinion in my area tho is that using the auto tranny with a turbo means once I spool up it would stay that way (I havent heard diff bout a stick tho).

Ok when do you ever see an auto car shift above like 3000rpm on the normal? Thats when a turbo would even start to spool. It be a waste.

Go Manual or Go Home.

Last edited:
Back