Turbo or SuperCharger

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I'm not even sure where to start with this thread, so I'm just going to jump around...

My article is biased for a reason- because it's the truth based on proven facts and first hand experience.

Havok- I have said my piece in the article. I wholeheartedly encourage you to dispute my article. In fact, I welcome it, because nobody has been able to prove to me that superchargers are superior to turbos when it comes to performance.

Steve ran a 13.9 with a JRSC and exhaust in an otherwise stock 99 Civic Si.

Response?

So what? My dad ran mid 12's with a '69 Chevelle 454SS back in the 70's without any blower. What's your point?

and like i said before, if you are that concerned with lag put an injector right off the head in the turbo mani... you will NEVER have lag...

And you will NEVER have a turbo last more than a few hundred miles. If you're going to use an anti- lag setup like rally cars, you vent the BOV air into the exhaust upstream of the turbo. Either way, expect to replace turbos with every tank of gas.

And SC improves power all around, unlike turbos with their "badass" lag....an S2K with a turbo feels like a D15B7 for about 2K rpms. Some turbo lag isn't noticeable at all, others you can defintely tell.

Yeah, might suck for 2K RPM, but for the other 7000 RPM, it goes like a raped monkey. Turbo lag has to do with turbo sizing and several other factors. Like I've pounded into all your thick heads, you can make a turbocharged car act like a blown or NA car, response wise. Go drive any of the new Saabs.

A Turbocharger will make the same power as a supercharger. CFM is CFM. Or you could deal with:

CFM>3000 RPM

to

CFM-Heat-Belt/Shaft Drag>1500 RPM

That's why boost level is arbitrary. 6lbs of pressure on a turbocharger is a whole different ballgame than 6lbs on a supercharger that soaks up a good amount of the engine's original power.

You have the right answer for the wrong reason- the real killer is volumetric efficiency. Roots type blowers are about 50% efficient, which makes a shitload of heat. Heat = no power. Centrifugal compressors (turbos) are around 75% efficient. Less heat = more power. 25% VE differential is a HUGE difference.

they blow alright, then why do they put out 277hp on a stock engine?

Where do they make that power? How much area is under the curve? How much HP do they make in the 3000- 7000 RPM range compared to a similarly sized turbocharger on the same engine?

just bolting on a turbo will never get you this high on a stock engine.

Go root around Honda Tech. You'll find about 40 people that are making ~300 or more HP on stock B series blocks with "just" a bolt on turbo.

And its less boost, and safer for my motor...

Read my Turbo 101 article. Boost is only as safe as your fuel delivery.

I'm done my ass kicking. I'll now retire to my cave from which I crawled from. If Havok can muster a compelling argument, I'll reply, otherwise, ponder my wisdom.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Apr 12 2004, 04:37 PM
Havok- I have said my piece in the article. I wholeheartedly encourage you to dispute my article. In fact, I welcome it, because nobody has been able to prove to me that superchargers are superior to turbos when it comes to performance.

Response?

So what? My dad ran mid 12's with a '69 Chevelle 454SS back in the 70's without any blower. What's your point?

My point is I'm not bashing on all motor setup, like you are with SC's. How can you even compare NA to FI?

All I am saying is that you are wrong by saying SC's are worthless. That is called an opinion...Many people on here have timeslips to prove you otherwise. I respect your opinion, but that biased article shouldn't have been AotM.

hahaha...ji just busted a nut of knowledge!!

werd...

and the injector suggestion was not meant to be taken seriously, but i do however feel special for my reply being mentioned in the knowledge nut... lol :lol:

I too disagree with Loco, as stated earlier, I am looking for a more linear power curver that the super charger brings in, unlike the turbo with is power less until 2500k on hairdyer turbo set ups and powerless to upwards of 45k on bigger tubo set ups. Don't get me wrong I definatly love the power that turbos can bring I just think that they have there time and place.
On a Honda motor that does not make power till minimum 4500 rpm when VTEC kicks in it is nice to have bottom end than have even more of a power lag before the turbo and vtec kick in. Yes i know that turbos are proven to make a but load of power on a dyno, so what look at the dyno plots and look at the curve and see where it builds its power. The blower is the closest thing to have N/A response and turbo all out power, and in my opinion it is a good comprimise. In a perfect world I wish someone would come out with a functional hydro charger or something like that.

i understand what you are saying, but whenyou are cruising, atleast with me, im around the 2-2.5k rpm range. so waiting that 400rpms isnt that bad, considering 400rpms does come kinda quick. if you are going to redline, where the sc stops making power, the turbo is still making it. tubo just seems like the better of the two...in more than one aspect.

having driven sisteve's car several times while it was superchraged...

under 3k, was just like everyother honda motor- boosted, or all motr. pretty worthless for any real power. It's NOT a v8 pushrod, will never be a v8 pushrod, so donn't ever expect it to have a power band like a v8 pushrod.

so what if it wasn't in lag, so what if it was making boost, fact is, it still had no fucking nut.

and for a honda motor that spins to 8k, the parasitic drag on the overall system reduces gain.
some ITR guys i know loose about a pound of boost off their jacksons near redline- because at 8500, the jackson just can't keep up or is out of its efficiency range or something.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Apr 12 2004, 04:37 PM
I'm not even sure where to start with this thread, so I'm just going to jump around...

My article is biased for a reason- because it's the truth based on proven facts and first hand experience.

Response?

and like i said before, if you are that concerned with lag put an injector right off the head in the turbo mani... you will NEVER have lag...

And you will NEVER have a turbo last more than a few hundred miles. If you're going to use an anti- lag setup like rally cars, you vent the BOV air into the exhaust upstream of the turbo. Either way, expect to replace turbos with every tank of gas.

And SC improves power all around, unlike turbos with their "badass" lag....an S2K with a turbo feels like a D15B7 for about 2K rpms. Some turbo lag isn't noticeable at all, others you can defintely tell.

Yeah, might suck for 2K RPM, but for the other 7000 RPM, it goes like a raped monkey. Turbo lag has to do with turbo sizing and several other factors. Like I've pounded into all your thick heads, you can make a turbocharged car act like a blown or NA car, response wise. Go drive any of the new Saabs.

A Turbocharger will make the same power as a supercharger. CFM is CFM. Or you could deal with:

CFM>3000 RPM

to

CFM-Heat-Belt/Shaft Drag>1500 RPM

That's why boost level is arbitrary. 6lbs of pressure on a turbocharger is a whole different ballgame than 6lbs on a supercharger that soaks up a good amount of the engine's original power.

You have the right answer for the wrong reason- the real killer is volumetric efficiency. Roots type blowers are about 50% efficient, which makes a shitload of heat. Heat = no power. Centrifugal compressors (turbos) are around 75% efficient. Less heat = more power. 25% VE differential is a HUGE difference.

they blow alright, then why do they put out 277hp on a stock engine?

Where do they make that power? How much area is under the curve? How much HP do they make in the 3000- 7000 RPM range compared to a similarly sized turbocharger on the same engine?

just bolting on a turbo will never get you this high on a stock engine.

Go root around Honda Tech. You'll find about 40 people that are making ~300 or more HP on stock B series blocks with "just" a bolt on turbo.

And its less boost, and safer for my motor...

Read my Turbo 101 article. Boost is only as safe as your fuel delivery.

I'm done my ass kicking. I'll now retire to my cave from which I crawled from. If Havok can muster a compelling argument, I'll reply, otherwise, ponder my wisdom.

You were right on that point. That's almost word for word what it says in Maximum Boost. I was misspeaking.

Speaking of Corky's book:

"If you're concerned about turbo lag on a car before hitting your massive upswing in torque, the easiest way to avoid lag is to not have a turbo. You can do it NA and can have all the fun you want lagging all the way to redline. "

or somthing along those lines.

Why is this thread still alive?

Originally posted by Havok@Apr 12 2004, 06:41 PM

My point is I'm not bashing on all motor setup, like you are with SC's. How can you even compare NA to FI?

All I am saying is that you are wrong by saying SC's are worthless. That is called an opinion...Many people on here have timeslips to prove you otherwise. I respect your opinion, but that biased article shouldn't have been AotM.

OK, first off, 13.9 on a B16 powered car with boost and exhaust? Excuse me, but where do you get that this is fast? That's hardly faster than an ITR with mild bolt ons. My '93 Si hatch with 100 lbs. of stereo in it, full interior, and the stock 130K mile engine, running 10 PSI on a "hair dryer" turbo (which gave me full boost from 2700 RPM to redline, thankyouverymuch- Seany-izzle can attest to this car), and was faster than an ITR powered CX hatch. Now, I've never run in a 1/4 mile because I'm not a drag queen, but I've been told that an ITR powered CX hatch will run 13.2- 13.4, and by that, I'm going to guess that my hair dryer powered SOHC was running 13 flat. Oh yeah, and I spent about a grand on the turbo setup.

My "opinion" of superchargers being worthless is not an "opinion." It is a fact based on what I have learned over the years, and what I have seen with my own eyes and felt with my own hands. Superchargers cannot and will not EVER come close to anything that a turbo can do. Lag? Well no shit there's lag, but why the fuck are you lugging the engine blow 2000 RPM? Low end torque with good top end? Maybe if your cheap ass bought something other than a junkyard T3 off a Saab 900, you'd have a fucking clue about what a modern turbo will do. Don't be a cheap bastard. Go spend $600 a ball bearing GT series turbo. You'll fill your trousers.

My article is biased all right. It's biased towards performance. I'm sorry that you think that your supercharger is the be all end all of power production, and I hate to break your heart, but the cold hard truth is that it is not. You pretty much proved that. 13.9. lol... You had your chance to give me a compelling argument, and failed miserably. I've said plenty and have solidly backed my claims in my articles and this post. I don't feel the need to further this conversation. If you think the article shouldn't have been AOTM, then by all means... write one yourself, and I'll be sure to debunk it.

OK, all I did was ask a simple question....with MY specific setup, what would be a better route to take..turbo or Blower. Instead I get an arguement on which is better. We all have our opinions..and honestly, I dont care. I was just asking what would work best with my setup.

Originally posted by eastonball@Apr 18 2004, 01:29 PM
OK, all I did was ask a simple question....with MY specific setup, what would be a better route to take..turbo or Blower. Instead I get an arguement on which is better. We all have our opinions..and honestly, I dont care. I was just asking what would work best with my setup.

turbo = great power and in most cases easier on your wallet than a SC'er.

Originally posted by eastonball@Apr 18 2004, 03:29 PM

Well, if you'd read the goddamn posts, and read the articles in the turbo reference section, you'd realize that we've already answered your question! Christ...

i would have to say go with the turbo only becuse the supercharger will wear the motor down quicker with the extra belt that you have to run and with the turbo there are no belts involed

Originally posted by 1990flatback@Apr 19 2004, 11:01 AM
i would have to say go with the turbo only becuse the supercharger will wear the motor down quicker with the extra belt that you have to run and with the turbo there are no belts involed

You're dumb. Please go educate yourself.

i say fuck them both...go nitrous....low end tq and top end power......I know im prolly going to get flamed for this but think about it and dont start running at the mouth....bla bla bla nitrous is bad it will blow your motor bla bla bla....sooner or later your engine is going to give w/ anything...

Nitrous gets my vote(in the 1/4 at least)!

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 19 2004, 05:13 PM
nitrous sucks. boost owns :)

depends on what youre in and how your driving it...but honestly i love all types of FI b/c all can be used in some way...

Back