??turbo or supercharger??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

sparkak

Hello all i currently have a 97 honda civic ex with a b18 swap, besides that it is stock and i planning to boost it in the next month but im not sure which way to go. I have heard a JRSC kit is rather reliable and will add the little umph im looking for, on the other hand ive heard a turbo will have better proformance gains. It will be a daily driver so the reliability is a must. Whats your opinion on the two systems? Thanks
Steve

It all really depends on where you want the power. If you want constant boost throughout the powerband then go with the SC. If you want a rush of boost in mid to high rpms then go turbo.

I think a SC will wear out parts faster cuz its on constant boost, but I could be wrong.

I say go turbo because it will be cheaper to piece together a kit.

And tuning is your best friend. Make sure you tune your car well or the reliability factor will go out the window.

I say turbo. you may not get the boost as early but you get "free" power out of it were as the supercharger is belt driven and saps you engine power to make it's boost

A turbo will give you more power for the boost you're putting through it, and a properly sized turbo will have less "turbo lag".

Yea i was leaning toward turbo aswell thanks for your opinion. I was quoted 6k for a custom turbo, turbo timer, hondata s200, injectors and 3 hours on the dyno. does this sound a little pricy? My knowledge as a mechanic is slim and i have no tools, while very eager to learn. im not in a position to do any work myself. Thanks again

What components are going to be used on this build up? if he's charging you 6k for a shitty cast manifold and some used DSM turbo 6k is a rip. On the other hand, 6k for a good set up sounds about right for a kit with good quality parts and tuning. Get some specs, and names for us.

turbosmart ultra gate 38mm wastegate, t3/t4, custom downpipe, type rs bov, hondata s200, rc injectors, and some missilanious piping, turbo parts, gauges, dyno and labor. its a little under 1g labor and 450 for 3 hours on the dyno.

def. WAY too much for that. If you shop around you can get all that for easily less than half.

If he is buying a cast manifold, he is over charging by around 1k...if he is custom making you one, id say that he is over charging you by around 600.

The setup that i am looking at is a Garrett GT30R, DRAG Manifold (Cast Iron), Turbonetics Mark II wastegate (7 psi), Spearco Intercooler, Blitz BOV, 12:1 FPR, DRAG pipes, DRAG Fuel pump, all the gaskets fittings and oil line crap. That is $3550.

He is seriously over charging, because that system is hardcore for a B18 civic. Upgrade your engine components, and at about 20psi you could be making some serious numbers 300+WHP

that sounds bad ass.... ok so to run around 16-20 psi what is recomended internally to handle so much pressure? pistons, rings rods,? i have always had the impression building internalls is awful expensive but i would love to be proven to be wrong.

It generally does get pretty expensive because you wanna use the best parts. If you dont really wanna build you engine up but have a good amount of money, check out full-race.com and look at their stage1 B-series kit.

How much power are you looking to get? If you answer that it will be alot easier for everybody to help you determine how much money will be needed and also what parts youre gonna need.

i agree with every one with the turbo/SC choice...

..but just build your own kit....i would start with a hp goal...then see what you need to reach that goal....a t3 super 60 is a great turbo for a stock LS....and you could prob get 250hp out of that turbo....

but if you want more HP; then i would buy some stock bore forged pistons and rods....9.8:1 CR range is good.....and a nice t3t4 snail....a chipped pr4 ecu will get the tuning done and some 450cc+ injectors...

go to www.homemadeturbo.com and look around

Even B18s need to be resleeved dont they? Or is that only the H series and the B20?

Back