Turbo owns Clutch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

boostedls

hmmm.. i like pie
I have a question

My Teg has a Stock clutch (less then 250miles on clutch)
I'm putting down 220-240whp
How long do you think it'll last?
I don't race offen at all, and if i do it's from a 40 roll.

it all depends on how much power you are running when you release the clutch and how you release it. you could have 1000 horsepower on a stock clutch and be fine, or rip a clutch with 125 horsepower.

it will be fine for a while, but i would be prepared to upgrade the clutch when it blows.

what he said is true ^

but if i had to make a guess id say youd be lucky to get 20,000 miles out of it.

well, it's not really about being a good driver. you have to think about the functionality of the clutch and what it does. it's a connect point through your drive train. imagine pulling a string with your hand. if you pull slowly, it will tighten and stretch a little bit. if you just yank it, it will snap from the pressure.

thank you for the input
it's just I need to save up some money for a clutch. becus I've bought pistons , rods, apr head studs

so basically if i want to make it last i prolly need to match rpms when i shift .. and avoid slapping into gear.

Last edited:
pretty much. you just cant rev it high, engage the clutch, shift, the just snap release the clutch. slow releasing it will wear out the pressure plate faster, but at least you wont blow your drive train or anything worse.

Its not just about how you release the clutch. Bein under full power on a dead hook will smoke a stock clutch quicker than slippin it at the start will.

At your power level, youll be fine for a while. You will notice a shorter life span, but its not gunna be a big problem.

^^^^^^^^ yes i rean a stock clutch on my boosted prelude i was running about the same horse power as you. Mine lasted a long time. Then i put in a stage 2 clutch and soon after did some upgrades and was about 350-400 whp. And it lasted for a few months and then got really weak. Now i am at 500whp0 and have a 6 puck clutch and the same stage 2 pressure plate and its fine. Also my tranny is stock h23with 200,000 miles on it. Tranny is getting weak but still holding up ok. Another 6 puck and lsd tranny is the next upgrade.

Back