turbo question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rkwoos12

hey guys i have a 94 civic ex with a stock d16z6 vtec engine with 100k miles on it right now i was wonder im thinking about boostin it but unsure because im afraid if i will mess with the reliability of the engine i dont want to run very high boost like a 10 psi on t4 turbo or something like that nothing major but my last engine i had in the car got blowed up because the guy that had the car befor me had a turbo on it and messed it up perty bad befor sellin it to me with out telling me so my question is should i go ahead and slap a turbo on the d16 with a good tune or should i build up the engine first, if i build the engine im thinking about going with a B16 sir2 swap and building it for later on turbo. let me know what you guys think i should do either way i want a turbo i have driven a turbo civic befor and loved it i dont want no crazy hp levels or nothing jsut enough to have some fun out of my dd.

i have been pondering throwing my turbo onto my 95 eg sedan, but as a dd i would only want to run like 5-6 pounds of boost. although 10 pounds may not seem like a lot it will wear down any dd over time. also...learn to punctuate. good luck, peace.

well first off sorry about no punctuation, but any how, would 8psi be ok on stock internals? tuned on crome? is there any thing i can do with out tearing down my whole engine and rebuilding it?

i have been pondering throwing my turbo onto my 95 eg sedan, but as a dd i would only want to run like 5-6 pounds of boost. although 10 pounds may not seem like a lot it will wear down any dd over time. also...learn to punctuate. good luck, peace.

about how much hp could i be expecting with a stock d16z6 vtec engine and t4 turbo at about 6-8 psi?

i would think you would be fine running 6-8 psi on that stock motor but not with a crome tune you will need to have to have it dynoed or it will run like doo doo, as far as building it if your gonna do the work to turbo a single cam you might as well just buy rods and pistons while ur at it its not hard to do. and as far as how much hp tht will land you i couldnt tell u cuz i never went that low. but as your dd your car isnt going to be very reliable if you dont do any work to it before putting a turbo on it

alright, first off psi is irrelevant , ask anyone who knows their shit. Second, ur D will be fine with a little boost and a good tune, just make sure you have it dyno tuned by a reputable tuner. It will be reliable. You may also want to figure out when you want to be able to build boost. If you want to be making boost at lowe rpm's then you may want to go with something a little smaller than the t4 that will spool faster. Anyways these are just some suggestions.

Some good advice I got when first entering into turbo's was: up to 6psi stock internals are fine, 6-12psi u will want to go with forged rods and pistons, anything over 12psi forged rods and pistons and sleeves. but for any boost I would recommend arp head studs and either a quality aftermarket head gasket like a cometic or an oe gasket.

Do internals before boosting, or else you'll blow it and be back to square one. My friend was running 8 psi with a T3/T4 turbo in a Ls/VTEC and he blew the motor.

yeah thanks for all the suggestions i was thinking of going with a t4 turbo think that be enought for me i was wanting to run about 6 to 12 some where inbetween so i guess i need to build the motor first.

alright, first off psi is irrelevant , ask anyone who knows their shit. Second, ur D will be fine with a little boost and a good tune, just make sure you have it dyno tuned by a reputable tuner. It will be reliable. You may also want to figure out when you want to be able to build boost. If you want to be making boost at lowe rpm's then you may want to go with something a little smaller than the t4 that will spool faster. Anyways these are just some suggestions.

Some good advice I got when first entering into turbo's was: up to 6psi stock internals are fine, 6-12psi u will want to go with forged rods and pistons, anything over 12psi forged rods and pistons and sleeves. but for any boost I would recommend arp head studs and either a quality aftermarket head gasket like a cometic or an oe gasket.

is there any thing i should do to my stock ex transmission while geting ready for this turbo setup?

so would Wiseco Pistons and Eagle Rods be a good choice at 75.50mm (+020" Overbore) and compression at 8.5:1? of should i resleve my block befor i bore it? or would 020" bore be fine?

Back