Turbo question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Got bored and started taking apart my turbo. Is there anything special I should know before going any further than the pics indicate? And I have a question about "clocking" the turbo to face the right way, which part do I need to loosen and turn, the bolts circled in red, or the ones in blue?

s40ad0ea33d0a8.jpg

And can I get another downpipe flange (do I need to)? This one only has two bolts, and it seems most I have seen have three or four. Also what about this wastegate, can I remove it? Or should I leave it?

s40ad0ff03a99c.jpg

to clock, you loosen the bolts in red and/or the bolts on the other side of the blue circle (on the compressor). i would just stick with that flange because i think it can be a bitch to get the internal watesgate style ones.

Ok, so either the ones on the compressor, or the turbine, cool.

I was thinking about using an external wastegate, that's why I took this one off, to see what makes it tick. Also the action of it is VERY stiff, almost like it was bent, or stuck, so that is making me lean towards an external.

That was retarded easy, ok now I am left with the downpipe flange question (oh yea, and one of the two bolts is stripped). If I did decide to get another one, where would I look? I am guess somewhere like Garrett, or another company that makes turbos. Are they mostly the same? Or is there a ton of different patterns that bolt to the turbine?

for the bolt, i would call garrett and they should tell you what size the bolt is. or take out a good one and see if you can match it up to a bolt from the store. the dp flange's can be found anywhere, if you don't want to retain internal wastegate that is...

http://www.ebay.com
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/flangesandgaskets.htm
www.import-palace.com ~ http://64.49.247.187/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=12

i got mine from import-palace... dont worry that the pic is for a 4 bolt, just specify when ordering. i have also bought a few flanges and shit from roadrace... they are both good companies.

the ones in red make it ewasy- but you're gonan want to do both sides...

not only do you want your outlet to face the right way, but you want your oil feed/return to be at the proper straight down design...

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 21 2004, 01:45 AM
the ones in red make it ewasy- but you're gonan want to do both sides...

not only do you want your outlet to face the right way, but you want your oil feed/return to be at the proper straight down design...

Yea, they are straight up and down now, but unfortunately, the feed is on the bottom :( so I gotta do it again. the feed is the smaller one right?

And South Florida Performance said they have a downpipe and falnge that they can weld a second o2 bung (for my wideband) for around $200, but I need to find a manifold similar to the ones they use for it to all fit right.

Ndogg, thanks for the links.

yeah, feed is smaller. that goes up.

call SFP and ask for scott, tell him you know me, and he'll take care of you :)
or im: "Scott at SFP"

might not have spaces... not sure.. lol

Back