Turbo Questions??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SI Guy

What would be the best turbo setup for a 2000 SI? I'm looking for high horsepower but don't want a drag car. Maybe somewhere in the 300 to 350 range.

Im not the most turbo savy person on here as far as mating the right turbo to the nubers you want, but I do know that 300 to the wheels is very easily achiveable. What kind of budget are you on first?

SEARCH! There are soo many 300 horse civics on the internet that its not even funny.

300whp is pushing your stock block pretty hard. You will need a solid tune to run it at that level!! 250ish is prolly more reasonable and safe. Do you realize how fast it will be with 200-250whp??

^What he said.

My buddy has an LS-VTEC setup. He has a turbo not much larger than a t25, tuned out to 248 whp. Ran a 12.60 at the track. Its all about how you drive it, and what kind of traction you're getting. If you can get traction with 250 whp, you will mash on cars that are puttin 400 to the pavement but aren't getting traction.

Anyway, for your goal, I'd say just save up about 2k and get a Greddy or a Turbonetics kit.

Turbo or NA

Thanks for the response. I just heard its cheaper to build a turbo than to build n/a because you have to work in reverse if you decide that you want turbo. Is this true?

Yes. N/A and turbo builds are very different. Cams and pistons are the two biggest ones. You cant build a nasty all-motor beast then decide you want to turbo it, unless you like big, heavy, expensive paper weights.

You could buy a pre-made kit from Greddy or Turbonectics for about that, or you could piece together your own and still have some money left for a tune.

Is it cheaper to build a turbo or na? I've never seen a 300 hp na civic but then again I've never really investigated into that much either. What would be more daily driver friendly?

Turbo is the shizzz. Then you wont have to search this anymore :D
fastza5.jpg

Buy the greddy kit, Ive heard people say they go for 2K-2400. Then spend the rest on a good tune for the car, its well worth the money :)

i know a guy puttn 200 to the wheels off a greddy turbo kit with a d' series motor go with a greddy the welds can be a little cheap on the piping on them though and his came with a cast manifold but all in all cheap hp, going high horse n/a u'd go all high compression and end up spending a good bit on domed pistons and cams, and tune, it would cost just as much to put on a turbo and run 7lbs of boost all day and be happy with the finished product...

i know a guy puttn 200 to the wheels off a greddy turbo kit with a d' series motor go with a greddy the welds can be a little cheap on the piping on them though and his came with a cast manifold but all in all cheap hp, going high horse n/a u'd go all high compression and end up spending a good bit on domed pistons and cams, and tune, it would cost just as much to put on a turbo and run 7lbs of boost all day and be happy with the finished product...

Dude. Punctuation. Please use it properly, I think you left all the periods off until the end. Not the way to go.

Is it cheaper to build a turbo or na? I've never seen a 300 hp na civic but then again I've never really investigated into that much either. What would be more daily driver friendly?

Turbo is probably the cheaper, more reliable route to make decent power on a Honda engine...

Yes, turbo is definitely cheaper. It'll take you 5k+ to reach 300 whp N/A but maybe half that to reach it with FI (forced induction). If a turbo is not your ideal setup then go for a Jackson Racing supercharger, fairly inexpensive, bolt-on power. Jackson Racing supplies pretty much everything you need.

Back