turbo questions.....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

90lsteg

Ive got a 1990 integra ls with a b18a1. i recently bought a new block with a blockguard welded in place. my previous block was bored .20 over. and my pistons were high compression that were .20 over. my new block is stock bore and i rather get my pistons in there now instead of having to tear it all back down in 6 months. so heres my specs.

6al msd ingition
msd blaster coil
msd spark plug wires

crower 402 cams
crower valve springs
crower retainers
arp head bolts
eagle rods (good for 900 hp)
crank (good for 600)

im going to be getting hondata s300 to tune with and also have an aem wideband already. my question is what compression piston to get. ive been reading that a higher C.R. piston is the way to go. It all matters on the tune. im wanting to get a lower C.R piston so i can have more more boost which in return in more torque. if i was to use a higher piston could have have the boost just kick in after a certain amount of rpms. my hp goal is 450 but truely anything above 400 would make me smile. Another question is what turbocharger to go with? I can rev all the way up to 9500 rpms but have not done so yet. ive never taken it past 8k because of the msd pill. when its all turboed i dont want to have it any higher the 9k so i might get an 8800 pill. im hoping the gurus will help me out on this one. and thanks to everyone that helps me out.

what are you calling high compression ? it really all depends on how much you want to drive how long between tear downs ect ...

your crazy..u want low compression pistons or its going to blow up..the headgasket cant withstand that high of compression..
and turbo choice depends on what your going for..
you want it to spool quickly or what???

i want it to spool somewhat quickly. but i have 9000 rpms to play with so not to quick. i was reading an article saying to can boost cars with higher compression than usual. i can copy and paste the article if need be. was gonna go with 8:8:1 pistons. sound good.?

i want it to spool somewhat quickly. but i have 9000 rpms to play with so not to quick. i was reading an article saying to can boost cars with higher compression than usual. i can copy and paste the article if need be. was gonna go with 8:8:1 pistons. sound good.?

Keep in mind that a lower-comp boosted engine will have no power before the boost kicks in.

its all about the tune, but if you want a turbo that will spool quickly, you power will fall off before the rpms you want to rev to. if you get a bigger turbo, yes it will be laggy, but then once you hit boost and you make power all the way to 9000 you will be more pleased i think, i have a friend who has a gt32 on a b17, it dosnt spool til 5800 but it makes power all the way up to red line, and hes only runnin 9.5psi (very inefficent for that turbo) but he still makes 320+ on a stock block. so i say big turbo is what you should do.... maybe throw a little nitrous at it to spool it up a little quicker

currently running 11.5:1 compression im just trying to see all available options before i actually start buying everything. will actually be doing all motor work and tuning either over winter or spring time. not to sure yet. would like to see 400whp

yeha man what are your goals? is it a daily? weekend fun? as far as your comp id say thats a lil hi for boost but again it is up to the tune but you would only see a few lbs. but 5lbs on 11.5 it much dif than 5lbs on 8.5 compbut if your a dyno queen and have to see over 400 id go lower.

Back