Turbo spool up

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

webink_EK9

Ok, don't laugh, but I just watched "the fast and furious" last night. Saw it once before, but thought I'd watch it again. I've got a question about turbos. How do they charge when they rev their motors? They're sitting there revving their motors and the bov's are cherping. My wrx won't do that when i'm sitting there. It just doesn't charge or spool or whatever. It only works under load or when I'm going. This may be movie magic sounds, but how does it (the turbocharger) know if I'm moving or not?

Still learning so be kind!

small turbo on a MAP car
or just about any not-stupid-big-turbo on a maf car will create boost with no load.

My turbo isn't that small I don't think. Its an ASP SR-40 thats putting 300whp to all four. The turbo I'm talking about is on my WRX...so things would be different if I did a turbo on my civic?
My gauge show the charge stopping right at 0 bar on the wrx. I'm right on the edge of buying a turbo kit for the itr and make it a winter install, but I'm trying to learn as much as I can about turbos before I do.

edit: just say your post pissed...so is my turbo in the stupid big area? its probably bad to compare what I'm getting out of my WRX to what I would or could get out of a honda setup, but its all I have to compare to.

look @ it this way? if you're don't spool up the turbo, you won't get a BOV chirp without a load. you have to bring the revs up high enough to spool the turbo before the BOV will work. in the case of a smaller turbo, it takes less of a load to get it spooled therefore easier to blow off @ a standstill.

i'm pretty sure if you bring the revs up high enough in you WRX sitting still yours will go off. just my thinking tho...i haven't had a turboed car

yet

It doesn't....it just stays flat at 0 bar. I'm just wanting to charge before launch to cut down on lag and it doesn't work.

that turbo is average sized... FAR from stupid big

id say its about the size of a gt28rs disco potato, only not as cool of a name :D

Jesus expensive...I never knew how much the turbo charger alone could cost until now. Wow!
Anyway, what is venting to the atmosphere? Some kid (younger than 20) at a stop light asked me, "Are you vented to the atmosphere?" And I just looked at him with a very blank look on my face and said nothing. I guess that pissed him off and he took off like we were racing. What does that mean? And is that something you would normaly ask someone? Just seemed kinda weird....is it something to do with exhaust and cat converters?

I have a t3 60 trim .60/.48 on a stock d16z6 and a Turbo XS RFL. My goes off a lot compared to most cars, it also has to do with how your vacuum lines/sources are all hooked up. I switched my around one day and the bov wasn't nearly as loud.

Originally posted by webink_EK9@Nov 19 2004, 12:31 AM
what would external venting of the wastegate do? and you can't do it with my turbocharger?
[post=419061]Quoted post[/post]​

In factory turbo cars then need to vent through the exhaust, there for the blow off is redirected back into the exhaust VS venting right out to open air.

most internally gated turbo's send the excess gases out the exahust.
most externally gated turbos have a pipe flange- from there, you can leave it open, run a dump tube the dump out side the engine bay, or do all kinds of work to route it into the exhaust before the cat.

Look at it this way: The WRX trannies aren't all that strong to being with, your gears being cryo-treated or not (it's the case design that's bad). You don't want that turbo pumping all that air into your manifold as the clutch is being engaged, or you're running the risk of destroying your tranny. If you're revving to 5k at a dead stop, you're still producing enough exhaust gas to get the turbo spooling, it's just got the wastegate open, venting all the exhaust out through the downpipe. As soon as you engage the clutch and close the wastegate, your turbo will start spooling (rather quickly, if you're up around 4-5k RPM), and you'll be up at full boost in no time. Don't worry about that extra little bit of boost that you're missing when you first engage the clutch; the small sacrifice is worth extending the life of your tranny.

The WRX's come from the factory with internally vented wastegates. All bolt-on turbos (from IHI, FP, etc) for the WRX are similar, because to do an externally vented turbo would require alot of unnecessary work.

webink, when the kid asked you if you were vented to the atmosphere, he was asking if you had an aftermarket blowoff valve, which more often than not vent to the atmosphere, which isn't good for most factory turbo cars equipped with an MAF, since the MAF thinks that you've got more total air in your system (not recirculating).

Also, FWIW....when I rev my car at idle, if I let off the throttle real quick anywhere above 5000 RPM, I can hear my bypass valve (fancy word for the stock blowoff valve, since it doesn't actually "blow off" into the atmosphere) make noises like I've actually got the car in gear.

webink, it sounds like you need to stop by one of the larger WRX forums (ClubWRX is what I recommend, but i-club is another good one) and start reading alot of the basic threads about how your engine and its components work. howstuffworks.com is another great place to do some learning.

I'm registered at clubwrx, and I have read a lot, but you guys are all knowing gods of cars...thats why I'm asking here. I'm acutaly thinking about turboing the ITR and thats why I'm trying to learn more. I trying to learn as much as I can before I buy...so when I buy I know what to get. I've seen threads that list all the parts and things I'd need, and I'd most likely get some kind of kit, but education is always good before you do something to a motor. Especially one that wasn't designed to be boosted.
I will head over to clubwrx and do some more reading and thanks again for that info. I didn't even know know how turbos worked until last week when I was directed to howstuffworks.com. Thanks again.

Does anyone here have a turbo ITR...or at least one that has the ITR internals?

ITR has kinda high compression for turbo...
very high actually

it can be done, but needs excellent tuning, and shouldn;t run too much boost...

but if you;re thinking of ripping the motor apart to lower the compression for the turbo then you are wasting what the ITR was really meant for...

EDIT: don't know anything about the wrx but they may have something that leaves the wastegate open until the vehicle knows its under load to prevent your car from building boost off the line... might be a safety measure to protect the tranny from boosted launches...

but the kid could have also been talking about your blow off valve venting to the atmosphere as opposed to it venting back into the intake before the turbo which some stock turbo cars will do...

Originally posted by webink_EK9@Nov 19 2004, 09:44 AM
I'm registered at clubwrx, and I have read a lot, but you guys are all knowing gods of cars...thats why I'm asking here. I'm acutaly thinking about turboing the ITR and thats why I'm trying to learn more. I trying to learn as much as I can before I buy...so when I buy I know what to get. I've seen threads that list all the parts and things I'd need, and I'd most likely get some kind of kit, but education is always good before you do something to a motor. Especially one that wasn't designed to be boosted.
I will head over to clubwrx and do some more reading and thanks again for that info. I didn't even know know how turbos worked until last week when I was directed to howstuffworks.com. Thanks again.
[post=419166]Quoted post[/post]​

If you're thinking of buying a kit, as far as I know, they all come with external wastegates. It's the converse of the argument of running an external wastegate on a WRX of other factory car....trying to get all the plumbing worked out to have an interal wastegate on a factory N/A car seems unnecessary and time-consuming.

Originally posted by reckedracing+Nov 19 2004, 10:00 AM-->
EDIT: don't know anything about the wrx but they may have something that leaves the wastegate open until the vehicle knows its under load to prevent your car from building boost off the line... might be a safety measure to protect the tranny from boosted launches...
[post=419177]Quoted post[/post]​

That's correct. My car will only boost to around 0psi if the tranny is not engaged.

reckedracing
@Nov 19 2004, 10:00 AM
but the kid could have also been talking about your blow off valve venting to the atmosphere as opposed to it venting back into the intake before the turbo which some stock turbo cars will do...
[post=419177]Quoted post[/post]​

He was definitely talking about the blowoff valve. Whenever a ricer-type young kid asks me what I've done to my car, the two mods he invariably asks about are an intake an blowoff valve (about the two most detrimental "mods" for a WRX).

Awesome, I think all my questions on this topic are answered, except why the kid had to peel out at the stop light. Hey, my kids in the back seat enjoyed it.
Thank you very much for the responce.

Back