turbo theory...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I really want to know how to select turbine wheels and turbine housings for turbo's. I know a good rule of thumb is to select the housing/turbine that will flow roughly half the volume that the compressor will flow...
But I'm kinda confused on some things... like a original gt30r ( the 3037), that thing is really really laggy and isn't well suited for a smaller displacement motor... then there is the 3076 that just came out. It has the same compressor wheel and housing, but has a SLIGHTLY smaller turbine housing and yet it has the same potential as the 3037 and yet spools 1000+rpm quicker, wtf?!? I'm not understanding this.
I understand smaller housings give better response than bigger ones. That its the turbine housings that really determine how much lag there is... and that if you get too small a turbine housing then you'll be bottlenecking flow on the top end and hence lose torque and hence power....
Is there anyone out there that can write a nice long lecture on selecting the correct turbine housings/wheels?
also, if anyone has any dyno graph comparisons between the gt3071, gt3076 and gt28rs at various boost levels let me know!

not me. lol

i really don't know much about the new GT series.

but i do know this.

you own a honda.
your powerband is from 5k and up.
all of the abvoe turbos will be making positive boost pressure on even a d-series motor by 5k.

IMO, I'd rather have a huge laggy turbo, than a small one. small turbos make the drivablity (daily) suck.

Read the Garrett catalog, there is a great .PDF file on selecting turbos. Also, there are a bunch of great Buick GN sites that offer the formulas for calculating compressor sizes based on displacement and RPMs etc.

I think the best way would be to use a map of the turbo's efficency. I have an issue of Sports Compact that has a really nice issue on how to select the perfect turbo wtih some formulas. You just plot and graph.

calculating compressor wheels is easy... I can do that in my sleep. Its not really hard to plot a few points on the maps... What no one really talks about it the turbine/housing maps, they are totally different. Yet lag is directly related to them. I'm really just curious to know why the gt3076 way outspools the gt3037 and they pretty much have the same turbine/housing and the exact same compressor wheel... I'll just give an email to atpturbo

Back