turbo timer

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alright I have been told by many people that I have to have a turbo timer with my setup is it true?? if so what does it do can I make one and how much will it cost me

also I did some additional research and found out the turbo I have is actually off a subaru wrx is it true that the stock internal wastegate is set at 10 psi and if it is can I reduce it to 7 without having to purchase an external gate??

making one is going to be near impossible.

basically, you don't HAVE to have one.
all it does it lets the car run for a couple min to let the oil cool down so you don't cook the turbo.

just let the car run for a min idleing before you turn it off and leave... 2-3 if you were just on a beat run boosting hard. that's all.

wastegate is the LOWEST you can go. boost controllers only go up.
even running an external gate, it won't really solve the problem.

just run 10 pounds :) 7-10 on that small turbo isn't much of a difference.. 30 horse maybe.

d-blocks will take 10 pounds fro that turbo with proper fueling

theres no one that even knows what uberdata is so what will a vafc cost me and where can I get it

about 300-350
add 50-75 for some 450 DSM injectors
add about 20 for a resitor box

or, spend 295 on a hondata
add 50-75 for dsm injectors
and 20 for the box

both will require dyno tuning.
get the hondata with a good base map, and drive to a tuner. there's a lot around. where are you from?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Apr 26 2004, 01:16 PM

basically, you don't HAVE to have one.
all it does it lets the car run for a couple min to let the oil cool down so you don't cook the turbo.

just let the car run for a min idleing before you turn it off and leave... 2-3 if you were just on a beat run boosting hard. that's all.

:werd:

If you're in a hurry the wait can get annoying...but if you want your turbo to last you're gonna have to do it or just spend an extra $90-100 and get a turbo timer.

I am in weiser Idaho way the hell over here in the northeast I know there is a shop in boise so I know I can take it there

as for the vortech whats wrong with that I jsut recently bought one and got it in the mail two days ago (friday) anyhow can the hondatas be bought online or do I have to find a dealer??

wiredspeed.com sells hondata at the price i mentioned. its 295 + 200 for boost option.

the fmu, well, there's nothing wrong with it - its just IMO a pice of shit.
others have had great success with them... but to me, its only good for stupid small setups.

if it were my car, andi had a t25, and didn't boost more than 5 psi, i'd have an fmu. other than that, i wouldn't even consider it.
others have held 10 psi for ever.
its yoru choice.

do your own research. i dont want to make you do anything you don't want to.

but rememebr- if you skimp on fuel management, you're going to blow up- plain and simple.

after you put in your turbo, hondata or which ever you gona get and get it tuned right let us know what numbers you pushing, i been real curious on what a stock d16 can do with a t3 turbo.

It really is nice having a turbo timer, especially after a spirited drive when my timer sets itself at 2 minutes. Much nicer to be able to go get that beer 2 minutes earlier. :)

Also, I believe the stock WRX wastegate setting is a little higher than 10 psi. Maybe 11 or 12. I'm too busy at work to go searching.

Originally posted by brasilianstreet@Apr 26 2004, 09:41 PM
after you put in your turbo, hondata or which ever you gona get and get it tuned right let us know what numbers you pushing, i been real curious on what a stock d16 can do with a t3 turbo.

I have a completely stock d16z6 tuned with uberdata making 216whp/181tq at 10 psi.

If you drive smart, you don't need a timer at all. The only reason you have a timer is to allow the turbine time to spool down before you cut the oil supply. Unless you're in boost while you pull into your parking place, you don't have to wait more than 5- 10 seconds.

It has nothing to do with cooling the turbo off. Think about it- what's idling going to do? The coolant and oil is already hot, and isn't going to get any cooler by sitting there with no airflow through the radiator/ engine bay...

Back