Turbo timer

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

boostedf22

dis is why im not
Do I need one of these ? What is the purpose of these. I have never let me turbo cool down at idle before. I just cut it off and get out after I am done driving

what ive herd about doing that is that there is still really hot oil in the turbo and when you just shut it off it begins cool and turn to slug and after a long period of doing that it will kill the turbo

what ive herd about doing that is that there is still really hot oil in the turbo and when you just shut it off it begins cool and turn to slug and after a long period of doing that it will kill the turbo
A turbo timer is used to let you car idle for a moment to let the oil that flowing through your tubo cool down. Without the oil flowing and cooling, you would have bubbling hot oil just stop not only in your lines but in your turbo. This is bad for two reasons.
1. the oil that stops in your lines will bubble in one spot and produce residue that will eventually clog yuor lines and restrict oil to the turbo.
2. The turbo itself is cooled by the oil, and if it is just left to bubble in the turbo, it can cause residue and does not let heat escape the turbo which can cause heat damage to the internal shaft and bearings on the turbo.

so unless you are going to let it cool,you will damage your turbo.

If you drive the car easy for the last few minutes of driving it and let it idle for a minute before you shut it off, you will be fine. I think turbo timers are a waste.

If you drive the car easy for the last few minutes of driving it and let it idle for a minute before you shut it off, you will be fine. I think turbo timers are a waste.
depends on the car/driver/turbo.

I'd say if someone has a turbo charged car, read the manual. Last I looked, the Audi A4 with the 1.8L Turbo, the manual said that it needed about 2 minutes to cool down. I know with an 18-wheeler from my understanding, they recommend about 5-15 minutes. I know neither vehicle have anything to do with our vehicles, but I'd say with that being said, I'd recommend the Turbo Timer, for longevity of the turbo and car. But I may be wrong. But just my opinion on it. -Gary

Well I plan on buying one soon . And from what I have learned . I let my car idle for 5 minutes after stopping . I have a brand new turbo and really dont want to mess this one up like the last one.

Rocks and propeller blades is bad !! :thumbsdown:

Air filters and turbo is good !! :thumbsup:

Back