Turbo Tomorrow

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

webink_EK9

I ended up buying that WRX from a local guy. I'll be picking it up in the morning. He has a time slip of 12.4 and a dyno of 300+ that I'll have to scan in and post. Are times and numbers like that easy to do with a WRX? He says he's got a lot in the car, but I don't know much about subarus yet. Guess I've gotta learn quick. Now what am I going to do with my civic?

The commercials say 300 horses and 300 foot Lbs or torque. Well they used to at least. My friend has a 01 STI that runs 595 :blink: horses and that SOB is fast. So yeah it’s defiantly possible to get 300. If you got one with the good engine (The 2.5) then the 300 horses will be easy to hit. I hope you have fun with your AWD monster :thumbsup:

Originally posted by drpenguin@Oct 19 2004, 12:54 AM
The commercials say 300 horses and 300 foot Lbs or torque. Well they used to at least. My friend has a 01 STI that runs 595 :blink: horses and that SOB is fast. So yeah it’s defiantly possible to get 300. If you got one with the good engine (The 2.5) then the 300 horses will be easy to hit. I hope you have fun with your AWD monster :thumbsup:
[post=404579]Quoted post[/post]​

There's no such thing as a US 01 STi... Hell there's no such thing as an 01 WRX in the US, the 02 models came out in March of 01.

The STi is 300/300 and the regular WRX is 227/217.

As far as modding it... and what kind of power you can make for how much, I have no clue, but dohcvtecaccord will.

Thanks for clearing up the misinformation, rev8k. It boggled my mind, I didn't know where to start. :D

webink: Any further mods you plan to that car are going to cost you (easily $500+, per mod). It's really decked out, and a timeslip of 12.4 is pretty damn good. Be happy with what you've got - the only way you're going to make much more power is to swap a 2.5 block in there.

it wont be long before you'll beg for a 2.5, the trannys on the regular wrx's are stupid weak and with 300+ hp, its not long for this world.

Originally posted by handlebarsfsr@Oct 19 2004, 08:28 AM
it wont be long before you'll beg for a 2.5, the trannys on the regular wrx's are stupid weak and with 300+ hp, its not long for this world.
[post=404672]Quoted post[/post]​

The list of mods included a set of cryo-treated RA gears. They'll hold up much better to the demands of 300+ hp. There are two problems, though:

1. The RA gears are geared extremely tightly. Cruising on an Interstate, you'll be doing 4000rpm easily.

2. The problem with the trannies is not with the gears, but with the case design. The WRX tranny housing tends to flex under extreme load (clutch dumps, hard driving, etc), which pulls the gears apart, which shears the teeth off of them. The RA gears almost certainly won't do that, but the case is still going to flex, which will deteriorate those gears over time. The only way to combat that problem is to use an STi tranny, which usually runs at least 3 grand (JDM with no extras), if not more (USDM with the DCCD).

goddammit....i hate you. bastard. give me your hatch.

what do you do to get all this $$$?

Here's what I have to say about that car... FUCKING TURBO LAG! Besides that its a blast. How much (about) would it cost me to do the 2.5 block sleved and pistons and rods? You say about 3k for the sti tranny. I've gotta get that block. The torque below boost sucks. Thats all I have to complain about. I'm going to need help figuring out these computer thinggys. I'm going to go download the manuals. Tonight was the last night our track was going to be open for the year and it just got rained out. Damn it!

job = money = cars = mad wife = no sex

but I get some of my money from working

You're probably looking at $2000-$2500, parts and labor to swap in an STi shortblock.

However, I'd like to say that the issue of turbo lag is not with the block itself, it's the huge-ass turbo that's bolted to that engine. Rather than taking the time, money and potential problems with swapping an STi block in there, you might want to consider buying yourself a slightly smaller turbo that will spool faster, but won't have as much top end. It'll cost a hell of alot less than a new shortblock, and you can sell that monster turbo to someone else and make some of your money back.

Will swapping the block help any with low end? I'd rather just do that I think. The block sounds like its going to cost a lot less that I expected. May as well do it right instead of skimping or going backwards. I'm going to look into the block stuff tomorrow. I'll drive it like that until I break the tranny and that will give me the excuse to get an sti tranny. It should all work out it sounds like.

I was talkin to a guy here that works at the subaru dealership and he said that Subarus are like LEGOs... it's an easy swap.

Originally posted by webink_EK9@Oct 19 2004, 06:24 PM
Here's what I have to say about that car... FUCKING TURBO LAG!
[post=404891]Quoted post[/post]​

Assuming that you're going from the car listed in your sig (ITR powered hatch) to the "laggy" turbo car, I'd say that the issue lies more in how you're driving it. Or not driving it. Give it some time, rethink your driving techniques, and most of all, get used to it. I'd rather wait a few thousand RPM for the turbo to spool up than to have to wait 'till 6000 RPM for the VTEC to "spool up."

Driving a turbo car is a lot like driving a car with the carbs jetted for top end... down low, you have to drive a few steps ahead of the car, and anticipate the need for power, rather than go, "oh gee, I need power now" and then wait a second or two for the car to clear it's throat. Another comparason, but I'm sure you won't be able to relate to, is flying an aircraft with turbine engines. I had the orgasmic chance a few years ago to fly front seat in a Fouga Magister, which is a twin engine V- tailed aerobatic jet. Coming from piston planes, this was a lesson in forward thinking. Don't pull up and add power... add power, let the engines spool up, and THEN pull up. The lower the airspeed, the longer it took for the engines to spool.

Same with your car... the primary source of power in a turbo car is the turbo. Learn to drive the turbo, not the engine, and you'll never be slow. Let the RPMs drop, and be prepaired to get passed by Civics.

:werd:
after just having my evo for a few days i'm starting to see this also, it is a whole different world in this thing.

luke you need to bring that thing up to KC now and hang out. since you didnt get to go to NOPI with us. i know its a little short notice but there is an import event at KCIR this sunday. if you are interested let me know and we can meet up.

Back