turbo vacuum help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

93y7

i have a b16 turbo project that i am about finished with. i need to know how to run the vacuum from the bov and also the two vacuum lines off of the wastegate. all help will be appreciated. need this thing on the road

Cant explain it, so here's a drawing that I made up real quick:

vacuumlol.jpg

vacuum is vacuum. it doesn't really matter where you get it from. just tap in where ever you can.

wg:
side = vac source
top = boost controller (or leave empty if you're not using a BC)

the bov only has one vacuum fitting. does this go to intake or to wastegate

i used zipties on all mine. seems to work fine

if you have the right size hose for the right fitting, there shouldn't be an issue. But, it can't hurt to tie them on.
i'd suggest using small hose clamps over zipties though

hey another question i guess i should've asked before, on the top port of the wastegate, the one that's for a boost controller, if i don't use it, should i plug it? b/c i have a blue stripe spring in the wastegate now (which is supposed to be a 5psi turbonetics spring) and all my lines are hooked according to the above diagram. the only difference is that the top port isn't plugged. it has the 1/8 npt to 5/32 vac nipple that is open to the atmosphere. now when i drive my car the car spools to 10-12 psi and i let off bc i don't wanna tear nothing up. should that top port be plugged? or do i have a 10+ psi spring in the wastegate? i'm going to take out the spring and measure its uncompressed height along with its outer dimensions so i know whether or not i have a tial big blue which is 14.5 psi!! i hope i dont have one that big, if so i'm selling that joker and getting like a 7psi spring. also, i have a turbonetics evolution wastegate (38mm) if that helps any.

Last edited:
If you have all the vacuum lines hooked up correctly, it sound like you have a differnt spring than you think in there. The boost controller port is vent to atmosphere unless being used

yeah well i hooked it up according to this thread. i'm also having problems adjusting the bov too. all the way loose and it still chatters/compressor surge. any ideas?

well i took out the spring its gray with a blue stripe down one side. the od is 1 7/8", which is a 5psi spring form turbobetics or a 8-9psi spring from tial. idk why my wastegate isn't opening properly or why my damn bov wont release all the pressure. help!!

hello!? does anyone know what could be causing my problem? its the only thing stopping me from driving my car.

i just looked again at everything and the 2 nipples coming off the bov dont have teflon on them. i wouldn't think that would make the bov or wastegate stop working, but maybe there is a bit of air leaking out of them. also, i read that i could also hook up the line from the turbo compressor directly to the wastegate and not hook one to the boost sensing port on the bov but still leave the vac source connected to the top. i hate to think its the wastegate spring then buy a new one and nothing happen. but if i do buy a new one then I know that it is a 7psi spring in there.

evogatewhite.jpg

this is a pic of the 7 psi spring for turbonetics. mine looks identical to it except it has a blue stripe on it, indicating its a 5psi spring. idk if i should buy the 7 psi one or see if i can get what i have to work.

Last edited:
i would also like to add that i have a open wastegate dump that points DOWN. but i never hear the wastegate open, which i assume i would with it being a screamer pipe on it.

Hi,
Best thing to do is get a vaccum block and bolt it to the Firewall somewhere and take a main vaccum from your intake manifold to the vaccum block, then you will tap of the vaccum block to the wastegate and bov etc. The bov should only have one vacuum line and the wastegate should only use a vaccum line of on the side of the wastegate not the top. The top of the wastegate sholud remain open to atmosphere unless if you using a electronic boost controller. The side port of the wastegate is only being used, also you can use the side port of the wastegate with a manual boost controller.
This is the better way to hook up your vaccum lines with the vaccum block and eliminate all the T-fittings which in turn tends to lead alot of vaccum leak or boost spike.
Good Luck.

ok well i hooked up the line going from the turbo nipple to the side/bottom port of the wastegate and guess what? wastegate still doesn't open :(. also i unhooked the boost source line from the bottom port of the bov and only have the vac line connected to the top port on the bov tee'd into the fpr and still the bov isn't releasing. i have the adjustment screw on the bov loosened all the way and it doesn't blow off. i'm going to try to tighten the adjustment screw all the way in and see if that works. i'm gon nahve to pull the wastegate and hook my compressor up to it to make sure it works.

well i found out that the wastegate valve shaft is bent and i had to hammer it for it to move up and down. no biggie. when i get a new one, i should be able to actuate it with pressure from my hand correct? who makes a cheap wastegate that will work till i can afford to get a new one? anyone got a knockoff of sale?

I have these for all my vacuum connections.

Courtesy of my tuner.

pct1-5_32e.jpg

Uses a special hard line that you just push in and it locks, then you just push the ring around the line and it unlocks and releases the line. Great for quick connections and easy removal, and you wont have to waste tons of zip ties changing lines out.

OP: I like the Turbosmart WS, the 38mm runs for about 300$ comes with s 7psi spring.
I wouldnt waste money on something cheap just to replace it later, your gonna waste money, buy a quality product 1st and save your self time, money and the pain of possibly breaking something.

Last edited:
Back