turbo vs all motor ls - automatic daily driver

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Yeah I was assuming more skill rather than not... But there are plenty of ways to make a turbo setup daily driver reliable, especially if you're not going huge.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Forum Runner

Well the type r pistons are another thought, but i had trouble a while back finding a reliable head swap for an ls/vtec build. I don't really know much about vtec setups or how hard they are to install. I'll do some research on a non vtec all-motor build and costs as well.
Thanks for the input!

I say ebay turbo (keep the exhaust/injectors) and get a socketed ECU to have a proper tune put on it. Just be careful of the auto trans cuz they ain't cheap!

I say ebay turbo (keep the exhaust/injectors) and get a socketed ECU to have a proper tune put on it. Just be careful of the auto trans cuz they ain't cheap!

Well i told her the trans goes, and a manual goes in so...lol. So can i tune the factory ecu from the ls or do i need a socketed ECU. With my dsm we used a SAFC.

If you're doing anything above bolt ons , you'll want to socket the ecu and get it tuned by a tuner, or DIY with crome and a wideband and a moates tuning kit like the osrtich and burn1

And I forgot to say 7-9lbs.....no more IMO 12lbs will work.....but I think its pushing it (watch some guy try to tell me wrong lol)

Socketed ECU.....get another ECU for this job and keep the virgin so you have an option to go back to stock

I just happen to have a ported and polished gsr head forsale (needs a few things), and golden eagle lsvtec sandwhich with line. The head was once setup for lsvtec so it has the threads for the allen screw to block off oil in that spot.

I vote ls vtec and you can even leave the stock pistons alone. I didnt change mine out and the car was fun and peppy. This wont get you to 200whp but going turbo diy or na 200whp is not easy or cheap at all.

Quick question...would i see gains from an increased ignition setup/and at what point would that be needed? I ask because i have one offered to me but its pointless waste if its not needed.
FYI it's an MSD box.

Honda ignition is optimized from the factory. No need for it unless you are pushing mega horsepower, or it's 100% free.

The one thing that you haven't really considered here is the gear ratios of the transmission. The automatic LS transmission has the crappiest (and by crappiest, I mean the longest and most gas-mileage conscious gear ratios out of the whole B-series bunch). So with that in mind, I don't see any point in trying to an LS/VTEC here. VTEC is a high-RPM deal. If your transmission takes forever to get to the high RPMs, then forget it.

Boost is the best option here. Or hell, if she just needs a little more torque for those hills then just drop a B20Z in there...

Cool i'm going to run some ideas past her and see what i can do here. Thanks for all the input!

The one thing that you haven't really considered here is the gear ratios of the transmission. The automatic LS transmission has the crappiest (and by crappiest, I mean the longest and most gas-mileage conscious gear ratios out of the whole B-series bunch).

Here's a random thought, and cost-wise probably not very feasable ... but you stated the ls trans is a horrible trans. Is it possible to swap to another honda transmission with the ls motor? It's a funny idea and more for knowledge sake then reality lol.

And Vtecsir1 where are you located?

a jdm b16a sir-ii hydrolic tranny will bolt right up and is available in automatic and has better gearing. sir-g (jdm gsr) too, but those are more rare and not as big of a gearing change.

a jdm b16a sir-ii hydrolic tranny will bolt right up and is available in automatic and has better gearing. sir-g (jdm gsr) too, but those are more rare and not as big of a gearing change.

:werd:

And since none of these were ever produced in the US, most likely you'll have to buy from an engine importer. They turn up once in a while on forums and Craigslist, but they're not exactly common...

Back