turbo vs. SC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SolPWR

I have a question about torque. I saw on the jackson racing web site that on a stock d16z6 with the supercharger it made like 125lbtq and i think that is great! But i was wondering what a small turbo (like a t25 or so) would make. I know you can tune these and stuff like that but is the turbo a lot more and better?

Turbo will make MUCH more torque when sized for torque. It will even come into play at a lower RPM than the JRSC with proper planning.

My little B16a, the torqueless wonder slug, made 180 ft lbs at 4000 RPM with a biggish turbo. If I had used a t3, I could have made that at 3000 rpm, which is UNHEARD OF with a JRSC.

And on a D series, the torque ratings are even HIGHER with turbo's.

My D16Z6 made 183 ft lbs. from 2700 RPM to 5600 RPM. At 2000 RPM, it was making as much torque as it did before the turbo- 108 ft lbs.

Sure, there wasn't much below 2000 RPM, but who drives around below that? Kinda like how JR brags about how their supercharger makes 2 PSI at idle. Whoopty fucking do. Who drives around at idle? I don't. Do you?

with that high of torque what is your setup? Im pretty much gonna be running bolt ons & not much more other than a cam

Jackson Racing states his superchargers are made for the road. You can always move the psi level. His numbers are to pass through emissions for california. If you ask him about racing I am sure they have just as much power as a turbo. To turbo a car is easy to do but you can also blow your motor just as easy. I'd stick with a cheap turbo and keep the PSI's down. If you run the turbo in the teens, your asking for trouble. If you want a fast street car than 9 psi will most likely allow your motor to perform well and not blow. If you want more power you'll need new engine parts. That 's when money starts to go quick. If you have ever seen Honda Turning magazine it has very good articles about what is the best and cheapest route to make power. Also they sometimes do a awesome dart engine fully blown making 573 hp. Torque was in the high 300's. So really it all comes back to how much money you have and how fast you'd like to go.

ok what about a "cheap" turbo on an automatic? How would that perform? My friend has a sc thunderbird and its an auto and that works fine but what bout a turbo?

i would look into doing a manual swap before boosting.

honda automatics are crap. not only will they not hold the power well, they will break, and the gearing is extra long due to 1 less gear.

No one has answered this question of mine. You take a 130 hp jdm d15b and run 10lbs of boost roughly how much HP would you be at? I wanna take a SOHC and make 200hp. How much boost will I need? Thanks :)

no one has answered it because its like asking how many cherios come in a box of ceral.

every motor is different.
every turbo is not the same.

10 psi on 1 turbo and 1 motor is not the same power as 10 psi on the a different turbo and the same motor

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Sep 7 2003, 12:06 AM
no one has answered it because its like asking how many cherios come in a box of ceral.

every motor is different.
every turbo is not the same.

10 psi on 1 turbo and 1 motor is not the same power as 10 psi on the a different turbo and the same motor

That is true but you can make an educated guess and come pretty close.

With 10PSI you should be running around 200HP to the crank depending on tuning. Mathematical theory says it should yield 218HP at sea level. But whether or not it's safe and reliable is a different story. Your best bet would be to put the turbo on it, and tune it as best you can. If you're not at goal, then upgrade the parts that need upgrading, and tune again. Repeat as needed.

Back