Turbo Vs. Supercharger

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

rmerrell

ok, this is a very important question <_< , and it could go on for days of try`n to figure out which is better, while back i woulda picked a turbo anyday but now i notice to see that superchargers are becoming more into the scene than usual.. so on a suggestion base question... your ideas and your thoughts... which would be faster and better? come on... ;) share the knowledge. :rolleyes:

92 Si auto, race clutches, torque converter, shift kit,
H23 out of old 93 lude(trashed darn ditch... :angry: )

superchargers are getting more into the sceene? so, thats makes them better? look at altezza lights or anythign made by APC. don't let popularity fool you.

for all intent and purposes of making power, the turbo owns a supercharger.

IMO, the only time i would use a supercharger is on a strictly autoX car where low end power cannot be sacrifieced.
street, strip, drag, turbo.

It is my understanding that a Turbocharger is much Cheaper/easier to upgrade. Supercharger has no "Lag". You lose a little Horsepower running the Supercharger weather you are using it or not. Greater horsepower gains are available with turbos. This is my understanding from the reading I have done, I could be wrong.

Generally for the street, I'd say the supercharger has the edge due to it's instant-on operation. Because you are running an auto tranny (that keeps the turbo spooled) I wouldn't bother with the supercharger. Any type of forced induction has its place on certain cars. It's the combo that makes a car fast, not a component.

if you got the money go compound supercharged...great low end response with great high end power.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@May 5 2003, 01:43 AM
superchargers are getting more into the sceene? so, thats makes them better? look at altezza lights or anythign made by APC. don't let popularity fool you.

for all intent and purposes of making power, the turbo owns a supercharger.

IMO, the only time i would use a supercharger is on a strictly autoX car where low end power cannot be sacrifieced.
street, strip, drag, turbo.

That isn't completely true. Centrifugal s/c's have to spool also. So they wouldn't be worth a fuck on the autox. Also, have you ever stopped by Vortech's page and seen all the different s/c's they have? They have plenty that are good for 800-1300 hp.

turbo > supercharger = another internet hyped thing.

:werd:

Just because turbo's are cheaper and more plentiful does not mean that they're superior.

And while Centrifugal s/c's still spool you'll be running full boost by the time you can say "turbo lag" :lol: .

there is no "superior" setup. one will always be offset by better tuning.

btw centrifugal sc's lag a little. roots have the least.

you make more efficient use of a honda engine if you use a turbo, bottom line. SCs do have their advantages, though. If those advantages appeal enough to you, by all means, grab an SC. You'll still end up with a fast car.

If you want to go fast....use a Turbo and get it tuned right and build the bottom end strong. Oh, don,t forget to go to the Dyno and get it tuned right (A/F ratio curve...etc set right)

If you want to go fast....use a Turbo and get it tuned right and build the bottom end strong. Oh, don,t forget to go to the Dyno and get it tuned right (A/F ratio curve...etc set right)

:shrug2:

Originally posted by liquid00meth@May 29 2003, 10:27 PM
you make more efficient use of a honda engine if you use a turbo, bottom line. SCs do have their advantages, though. If those advantages appeal enough to you, by all means, grab an SC. You'll still end up with a fast car.

how are turbos the best? They are good in the top, so are centrifugal s/c.. you are talking about belt driven or roots style that are good power down low.

Strap a votech s/c with the same output of a turbo on the same power and look. I have no charts, but they are essentially the same thing, except one is spooled from exhuast and one is spooled from intake.

Originally posted by Domeskilla+May 30 2003, 06:03 PM-->
liquid00meth
@May 29 2003, 10:27 PM
you make more efficient use of a honda engine if you use a turbo, bottom line.  SCs do have their advantages, though.  If those advantages appeal enough to you, by all means, grab an SC.  You'll still end up with a fast car.

how are turbos the best? They are good in the top, so are centrifugal s/c.. you are talking about belt driven or roots style that are good power down low.

Strap a votech s/c with the same output of a turbo on the same power and look. I have no charts, but they are essentially the same thing, except one is spooled from exhuast and one is spooled from intake.

equal SC/turbo

Turbo runs from wasted energy
SC adds drag onto the motor

turbo > efficiency than SC.

when air leaves a motor, it pushes the fins on the turbo.. until the turbo spools, you have a lag, or strain b/c its not allowing it to breath its best. once that is over came, then its all good.

A centrifugal s/c is the same, except it has the LAG before the air hits the motor. No belts to run off the motor.

So they are essentially the same thing, they are both putting a lag on the motor, until spooled.

Originally posted by Domeskilla@May 30 2003, 03:03 PM

Yeah if you actually look into it, the after cooled vortech sc puts out about 270 to the rollers on just a b16 w/ only exhuast, and yeah a turbo to do the same would have to be big and you would need many many more mods to do put out the same numbers. The only problem is, like I stated before, is the actual price of a vortech unit is that its 5k and yeah you could easily build a stronger turbo set up but having to do way more work.

so all of a sudden 270hp on just a "b16 with exhaust" is supposed to be a reliable setup? for 5k I would have a complete build turbo motor that would smack the shit out of the SCd car, and last longer.

Back