Turbo Vs. Supercharger

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

And its not 5K for a Vortech setup. I seen one the other day on Ebay for 1500 w/o aftercooler though. And for the reliabilty issue, why isnt anyone brave enough to build a turbo kit that can make 358 hp 214 ft/lbs of torque on a stock S2000. Why? Cuz it would detonate and blow up the minute it sees anything over 5lbs of boost with its 11.1:1 CR with all the hot air the turbo's pushing out. Comptech did it. With what!?! Vortech did it. With what!?! And on 8-9 lbs of boost to boot. Untuned with only a after market fuel pump, injectors and FMU. About as plug and play as you can get.

And take note, every one with turbo says "Yeah but i have higher potential". No freakin duh cuz you plan to build your motor. The same SC on the Vortech S2000 kit can support up 680hp @20 psi and the SC in the B16A kit can support up to 575hp @ 25psi with the right fuel support. Give me a built block, a good fuel sytem and a big enough SC and i too can make 500+ whp. Let me see you run up on the back of that MF. (you'll have to downshift and all i'd do is floor it :lol: )

Anyone with a built block has more potential but you have to build your block to have potential. The true measurement of tuning is what you can accomplish with a stock motor. 358hp and 214ft/lbs @ 8-9lbs from a F20C/S2000.

Any takers??

no, most people dont turbo s2000s b/c there is no room. ive seen some turboed s2000s(well actually just one) but the turbo sat infront of the engine and had to use a very long manifold. if you look at the engine you will notice it is tilted towards the exaust side and is also very close to the engine bay.

btw the vortech kit that made that much power used an air/liquid aftercooler. you can add a turbo with an air/liquid intercooler to it and you will get results similar to what the vortech got, but with lag. they can make a turbo kit for the s2000 but it will be a bitch to install. saying the engine will detonate b/c of a turbo and that compression is high is, well, dumb b/c the centrifugal is practically a turbo without the exaust turbine and is turned by the engine.

if you haven't noticed the SC'd s2000s aren't even that fast. Go look at the articles. All you see is "not as fast as I thought it would be" and 'not all that good'

Originally posted by liquid00meth@May 31 2003, 02:49 PM
if you haven't noticed the SC'd s2000s aren't even that fast. Go look at the articles. All you see is "not as fast as I thought it would be" and 'not all that good'

remember ryan? he hasnt been posting since he got the evo 8 (guess hes having too much fun). he has the vortech kit(i think) and his wife commented on how slow it accelerated and told us it says to launch around 7000rpm or something.

i saw a SC'd S2000 run 13.9, i would call that fast. Thats the stock time for a TT 300ZX

Originally posted by K2e2vin+May 31 2003, 05:41 PM-->
liquid00meth
@May 31 2003, 02:49 PM

remember ryan? he hasnt been posting since he got the evo 8 (guess hes having too much fun). he has the vortech kit(i think) and his wife commented on how slow it accelerated and told us it says to launch around 7000rpm or something.

he has the comptech.

It all comes down to how much money you want to spend, what mods you do (bottem end and top end etc), and how willing you are to crank up the boost on the turbo or SC so it runs to its max potential. They are both good...or bad....depending on how the engine is built and how it is tuned.

:wave:

So how come every time someone says "Can I turbo my car if it has a 11.1:1 CR?" everybody else says No, No, thats too high. Wont work. It'll blow up. ETC ETC??? No one said "yeah it could be done". Why would someone say this? (Probably cuz they used a turbo, ran 9psi, left the timing stock and blew the motor.) Somebody started that idea and spoon feed it to almost everyone here until it was like common knowledge that you cant boost with a CR that high and soon every thought that you couldnt reliably boost that type of engine ever.

An intercooled (air-air) SC allows the intake air to be around 25 degrees above ambient @ 9psi, therefore allow for stock timing which will make more power with less chance of detonation and more reliability. Thats about the same temp as a water-air setup with turbos. And a SC with water to air (Vortech) is even better.

And BTW how much HP did that turbo S2000 make anyways? :shrug2:

Who gives a shit about the S2000....no of us young (For the most part) :fr: can afford that shit and will never do it.

How about this, boost up a fully built engine done up to the nuts and boost it to 45 psi or so.....probably gonna show more on the dyno readout than a supercharged engine done up to the nuts. All this BS about turbo lag etc. can be tweeked out if using proper turbo and tuned correctly.

If you like SC, go for it, I like Turbo and got it all set to roll.....I wish we could race!!!!

:moon:

Im just making the facts known so that the the person who started this topic can make a informed decision on which he thinks is better. Rather than some immature idiot saying "Turbo is better than SuperCharger because everyone will think its cool and all my friends have it and it sounds better when you say My car has turbo and :blah: " without any real proof of why its better.

The only difference is the price/availability because the SC is more expensive by a couple hundred dollars and the turbos are easier to find. Other than that why is turbo better since you know so much?

You can run a turbo with 11:1 compression. SCC did it with their project Matrix. You have to be careful and make sure to tune it properly.

Im not saying that it cant be done but that was the general idea i got when i first started posting here and before i did some digging for my self.

I remember reading that issue on the Matrix and that was a very hard install (cuz of the space for the manifold and the turbo) if i remember correctly along with quite a bit of tuning.

With 11:1 compression + boost, a ton of tuning doesn't surprise me at all.

the numbers could be real, but remember, they blew that bitch up almost right after it was shown on the net.

it didnt say if he was running stock internals or not. just showed a picture of the car and said a few about it.

the black one? yea.. jeffie7 knows the ppl who built that (the shop) and i believe he said it was on stock internals when he showed us the pics... do a search

Back