turbo vs. supercharger

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

OttoTeg

If I was to stick with my D series engine would it be better to go with a turbo set up or the jackson racing charger? which is more cost effective, etc...
I'm a newb and have no clue what direction to take my civic in, all I know is I don't like where it is now and I keep wishing I would have never got rid of my integra

Both going to cost you about the same amout, however if you want stupid amounts of power without retaining the original driving aspects of the motor got turbo, you will get much higher hp numbers. However if you are interested in retaining some of the motors original characteristics, such as power curve look into a super charger. Both have there pros and cons to them, however most people on this site will tell you to go turbo. I will disagree with them, just because I like keeping it somewhat similar to the stock power curve, but to each their own.

go to the articles category, and read under the turbo section, the answer to this very question.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@May 19 2004, 03:23 AM
However if you are interested in retaining some of the motors original characteristics, such as power curve look into a super charger. Both have there pros and cons to them, however most people on this site will tell you to go turbo. I will disagree with them, just because I like keeping it somewhat similar to the stock power curve, but to each their own.

actually a supercharger will still change the characteristics of the motor; you will notice it when you get off the gas. but i do agree the torque curve is similar but much higher than the normal na curve.

Originally posted by K2e2vin+May 19 2004, 09:10 AM-->
MaaseyRacer
@May 19 2004, 03:23 AM
However if you are interested in retaining some of the motors original characteristics, such as power curve look into a super charger. Both have there pros and cons to them, however most people on this site will tell you to go turbo. I will disagree with them, just because I like keeping it somewhat similar to the stock power curve, but to each their own.

actually a supercharger will still change the characteristics of the motor; you will notice it when you get off the gas. but i do agree the torque curve is similar but much higher than the normal na curve.

oh yeah it totally does change the motor but at least it retains some of the charactaristics of the motor. As the super charger can only give more boost when the motor is reving higher so it does not make the power as quickly as a turbo. Oh and that article in the articles forum is super biased, and does not even take into consideration many factors, such as what I have been talking about, power curve, similar to stock excelaration traits.

that is the problem with the supercharger; its always boostin, even when you let of the gas(which is why you dont see much autoX cars use them). the supercharger is going to make the most power throughout the powerband; while the turbo is selective; high or mid.(the turbo is more noticeble though because it starts at negative/0 manifold pressure then works its way up; while the sc is starts boosting once the engine turns)

God do not let this thread turn to negativity.

On another note, Electric superchargers are making leaps foreward in technology. They still lack the software needed to utilize thier benifits, but an electronically controlled, selective use, roots blower could be the answer to our Ev prayers. These guys could live on efficiency island.

I think Loco meant to look up twice.

^^^^^
Wrong.

The superchargers have bypass valves that recirculate boost in cruise/ low throttle setting conditions. And there's no reason why you can't have a turbo that spools at 1800 RPM and pull all the way to redline. Don't be a cheap bastard and go buy a Garrett ball bearing GT series turbo and you'll see what I mean.

Freemantle, the wrong wasn't intended for you, but you're wrong too. Yes, electric driven roots blowers do work, but their cost vs. performance sucks and like a completely electric car, will NEVER manage to take more than a tenth of a percent of the market.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@May 19 2004, 01:58 PM
Yes, electric driven roots blowers do work, but their cost vs. performance sucks

Yes, I will agree with you whole-heartedly on that, but I'm not trying to compare this to a RPM dependant supercharger. I would run this system in lieu of Nitrous if I had the cash to burn, but a traditional Turbo system is far superior to anything on the market.

Also to Loco's statement, I just got my Turbo from here. It was expensive, but I think it was worth every penny.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@May 19 2004, 01:57 PM
The superchargers have bypass valves that recirculate boost in cruise/ low throttle setting conditions.

i know the centrifugal ones do, but not the roots type.

Originally posted by K2e2vin+May 19 2004, 02:55 PM-->
Originally posted by Loco Honkey@May 19 2004, 01:57 PM
The superchargers have bypass valves that recirculate boost in cruise/ low throttle setting conditions.

i know the centrifugal ones do, but not the roots type.

Jackson Racing

Because of our unique bypass valve design, engine life is not effected. Our system is so efficient and produces such useable torque, that you are rarely at full throttle for any length of time. When you are at cruise speed or idle, the bypass allows the engine to breathe normally, no boost. Only when you depress the throttle aggressively does the bypass close and you have an instant 6psi of boost. Consequently, with our unique bypass valve and reasonable boost, engine life is not effected.

Taken from here:

http://www.jacksonracing.com/CustomerService/Faq.aspx#life

From what I can see superchargers seem to be a little more reliable. Or maybe its the shitty town i live. These kids are always boosting civics and popping the more like a couple weeks after they put there kits on.

That is a gross misconception about turbo reliability vs supercharger.

Both superchargers and turbos are detrimental to engine life. Superchargers are a terrible energy culpret, seldom passing 50% thermal efficency. This means that your pre-ignition temps are much higher. This can only translate to bad. Ever wonder why people who try to run 8lbs on a JR supercharger have to resort to water injection?

Any turbo kid worth his two cents realizes that a good intercooler is meat to his setup. Intake temps are much lower because the turbine only spins as fast as it needs to, instead of overspooling and dumping the air your engine can't handle as a roots and centrifugal type blower does.

The name of the game is tuning. You could build a reliable street car running 150 shot if the fuel is configured properly. Too many people look at the $2,300 for a JR supercharger or the $1800 for a turbo, mani, IC, wastegate, BOV setup and never think about why they need more air.

Back