Turbo vs Supercharging

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

they had some shady business deals... and there never was an endyn supercharger that was sold to the public

i have NOTHING against endyn's work.

I do have a problem with all the hype surrounding them though.

there are MUCH better places you can send heads.
such as RLZ, portflow, etc....

Quoted post[/post]]
they had some shady business deals... and there never was an endyn supercharger that was sold to the public

Actually- there was... I've seen a few in Dallas that were modified- just not to the extent that they were generating hype about though. There were still B16s putting down over 300whp with Endyn JRSCs.

300...good lord. i saw a civic that sounded like a mustang at UTD (SERIOUS SUPERCHARGER WHINE) might be one of the ones you were talking about.

he got me bad in my almost stock h22 lude I stay with GSR Teggies and Si coupes.

Quoted post[/post]]
2000Si, you shouldn't need any more proof than this. Damn near everyone who's ever put a supercharger on their Honda has sold it in favor of a more efficient turbo set up. If actions really do speak louder than words, those actions should be thunderous on a biblical scale. You also seem to competely overlook the mid-priced turbo parts. You don't have to buy the most or least expensive of anything, there are price points inbetween. Stop being so afraid of your car and just work on it. If you want to add any kind of performance to it, you're either going to have to learn how to do your own work or spend a mint on labor for someone else to do it for you.

I'm not just looking at the cheapest/most expensive, I've researched at least 10 different brands and kits, and I've even looked through junkyards for parts to make up a DIY 'kit'. The cheapest kit I've ever found is something like 2600 for a supposed 45-50 hp gain with a small ass turbo that is pretty much maxed out for a B series engine right from the box.

The closest junkyard to me with anything useful is 2 hours away, it's too much of a drive for me to go pick up a used turbo for 100-200 bucks that's of questionable quality in the first place.

I haven't been around the block as much as you, and most everyone here has, granted... but of the two people on this board who've had/have SCs on their Civics, they've given the kits nothing but rave reviews. For the money IMO (which was the entire point behind my posts) it's a decent gain, as I'm not about getting 300 whp from my daily driver in the first place. If you saw my plans list, Most of my money is going into the suspension and misc. modifications. Other than the SC the only bolt ons & 'mods' I'm doing to the engine are in my sig.

I'm not afraid to work on my car. I had a blast installing my CAI in 04. My problem is I'm just getting back on my feet financially and I'm trying to save up some cash for a decent set of tools. 6 point metric sockets, a good quality ratchet wrench, torque wrench, etc.

When my new O2 sensor comes in, I'm going to try to get my header on at the same time since I'm going to be down there anyway. Maybe this saturday I can actually wake my ass up before 2 pm, the garage will be clear (my brother is painting a bedframe) and Brian will be free.

All in due time, Blanco.

Quoted post[/post]]
Of those two people, I remember one of them getting rid of his SC for a turbo. But I could be mistaken.

I was actually looking at a JRSC for my Z6 build, I'm only looking for 200whp at most. A turbo is just a more efficient way for me to get there, for right around the same price. You should be able to piece together your own kit out of new products for around $2k. Check out Full-Race.com for turbo prices, JohnnyRaceCar.com for an intercooler, and get your piping from the parts store.

Here's an example:
T3/T04E from Full-Race = $619, capable of 490whp and the cheapest
Manifold from Full-Race = $450 with a/c
Bulk piping from parts store = ~$100
Johnny Race Car IC = $155-185 shipped, capable of 350whp
Tial BOV from Full-Race = $239
Misc. welding = ~$50-100

That's just about $1700. Piece it together and it won't seen that bad.

Instead, use a manifold from Hotrex and Uberdata to tune ur car and you've got a complete turbo kit (with fuel mgmt) for less.

Quoted post[/post]]
Of those two people, I remember one of them getting rid of his SC for a turbo. But I could be mistaken.

I was actually looking at a JRSC for my Z6 build, I'm only looking for 200whp at most. A turbo is just a more efficient way for me to get there, for right around the same price. You should be able to piece together your own kit out of new products for around $2k. Check out Full-Race.com for turbo prices, JohnnyRaceCar.com for an intercooler, and get your piping from the parts store.

Here's an example:
T3/T04E from Full-Race = $619, capable of 490whp and the cheapest
Manifold from Full-Race = $450 with a/c
Bulk piping from parts store = ~$100
Johnny Race Car IC = $155-185 shipped, capable of 350whp
Tial BOV from Full-Race = $239
Misc. welding = ~$50-100

That's just about $1700. Piece it together and it won't seen that bad.

haha I was refering to Steve and Prowler (I keep forgetting his real name). Anyway, Steve sold the SC because people kept trying to race him or something like that, and Prowler still has his.

Like I said before... I'm not interested, don't have the time, and I have no desire to shop one piece at a time. I don't need or want a turbo that is capable of 490 hp. I want something that IS going to limit me so I don't get boost hungry on a stock internal engine.

The JRSC on a B16 is actually a very nice setup. The power comes on very smoothly, and it pulls pretty well- even if it's not crazy power like in a turbocharged powerplant. If you're happy with the power that a JRSC setup puts down, then by all means go for it. It's still a very potent combination. I've been in a 99 JRSC Si, and it was really nice.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
haha I was refering to Steve and Prowler (I keep forgetting his real name). Anyway, Steve sold the SC because people kept trying to race him or something like that, and Prowler still has his.

Like I said before... I'm not interested, don't have the time, and I have no desire to shop one piece at a time. I don't need or want a turbo that is capable of 490 hp. I want something that IS going to limit me so I don't get boost hungry on a stock internal engine.

But, is that all you're going to want after you build your motor?

I'm not saying that you won't be happy with a supercharger. I'm just saying that most people don't seem to be happy with them for long. That was one of the biggest factors in my choice. The other factor was room to grow as my wants/needs change. It's going to cost a little more, but I'm going with the Edelbrock kit (Cali CARB legal) over a JRSC for those reasons.

After i Build the engine to handle some decent amount of boost, i'll get a new pulley, raise the SC to 10 psi. If I'm not happy then I'll sell the SC for a turbo setup or hell maybe I'll get out of car modding all together. I guess what I mean is, I'm set on doing this as soon as I can. I'm not looking forward to doing anything else now or even after this.

I really do like the Edelbrock turbo kit myself. Great bang for the buck, I had decided to get that while it was still in pre-production phase, but after researching more and finding out about the JRSC, it's just not what I'm after right now.

I do, actually. lol

Once the finances allow for it... I'm getting antsy for warmer weather so I can actually do something with it. I just can't believe I still don't have my fucking exhaust. :cry: Fuck Driftspeed.

Quoted post[/post]]

Still have mine and still love the JRSC. I've been in turbo'd Hondas, and can't say I'm more impressed with them than my setup. Especially for the money. I paid $2000 for a NEW kit. Find a complete NEW kit for a turbo charged setup that will push more power for the same price. Greddy can't do it, that's for sure. Road and Track has even done a writeup on it. It's posted on the JRSC site.

Quoted post[/post]]
i seem to remember that prowler is selling his since he got the Z28.

Not selling my car. The reason it was up for sale was that I was trying to buy an S2000, but that fell through. I'm definately happy I kept my SC Civic.

Quoted post[/post]]
The JRSC on a B16 is actually a very nice setup. The power comes on very smoothly, and it pulls pretty well- even if it's not crazy power like in a turbocharged powerplant. If you're happy with the power that a JRSC setup puts down, then by all means go for it. It's still a very potent combination. I've been in a 99 JRSC Si, and it was really nice.
:werd:

Back