1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turbo wastegate

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by EP3Hatch1987, Jun 27, 2009.

1. EP3Hatch1987

EP3Hatch1987 Meeeeooowww!!!!!

This is a question I'm juss throwing out there.. If my turbo single cam is tuned for 5psi and I changed the spring 2 a 10psi spring would I have 2 retune?S

2. |Daras

|Daras New Member

lol....... theres a reason why noone has answered yet but... im not gonna b an ashole because i dont know much myself, the answer to ure question is, yes. depending if thats the only thing u have to regulate ure psi, coz u could have a 10 psi wastegate but a 5psi bov or boost controller regulated for 5psi then u would still have 5psi of pressure and u would be stressing those other components, dont run a computer tuned for 5 pounds with 10coz ull b runing lean.

so the thing is u want 10pounds, u need change the tuning and all parts that regulate the psi on ure car to 10 psi

if im wrong ppl, feel free to correct me

3. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

that's not remotely accurate.
    a BOV has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with boost pressure. period. it rleases excess boost when the throttle is closed to prevent back-spinning (surge) on the turbo compressor wheel.

a boost controller can NOT lower boost below the spring in the wastegate. it only goes up from the spring, and in general, a BC can do about double spring. So, a 5psi spring is the lowest, and about 10 ish is the highest with the controller for that spring.
    on a 10 psi wg spring, you can go to about 20 psi via the BC.

To the OP, Yes, you will need to re-tune.

4. |Daras

|Daras New Member

ok nice tnks for shredding me heheheeh, the bov I kind of knew but i wasnt sure the word "backpressure" kept hitting my head while I was writting but the boost controller, well didnt know, so u couldnt set a lower pressure with a boost controller then the spring pressure on the wastegate u say?

5. |Daras

|Daras New Member

ok lol thinking about it dumb question..... so leaving to a side my obvious noobness, he could basically get a manual boost controller and get 10 psi without changing the spring hmmm that would be better for him

6. EP3Hatch1987

EP3Hatch1987 Meeeeooowww!!!!!

I don't really like the manual boost controllers because of the knobs trying 2 guess on how far 2 turn them.. But either way I'll have 2 retune?

7. SLOWdelawareEG

SLOWdelawareEG my cars go fast

haha. yes. retune. ;) your question was already answered:

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted