turbo with nos

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tweakman

if you had a turbocharged car people say that u should run nos with it, and its pointless, why not just go with more psi. But if you sprayed when ur car is starting to get hot would the nitrous cool down the engine?

Originally posted by tweakman@Sep 12 2003, 03:01 PM
if you had a turbocharged car people say that u should run nos with it, and its pointless, why not just go with more psi. But if you sprayed when ur car is starting to get hot would the nitrous cool down the engine?

dont quote me, but my understanding of one of the reasons why nos or whatever was used was to compensate for the turbo lag during the first few seconds of acceleration...

Yes, exactly... nitrous (not NOS or nawwwwwwwzzzzzzzzz guys) works by adding more oxygen to the mix while cooling the intake charge at the same time, which increases air density to add even more air. If you make the air going into the engine more dense, you're feeding it more oxygen... resulting in more fuel sprayed and burned, and then more exhaust thrown out to spool the turbo even faster.

Some people opt to spray the intercooler with nitrous to cool it down (Subaru has a neato OEM intercooler water spray for the STi), some like to spray it directly into the engine to get things going faster, and some are nuts and do both.

Me, I would do both. I'm one of the nuts. :lmao:

is there such a device that sprays nos directly onto the engine itself to cool it down?

and if so, does that retard premature engine wear or advance it?

Onto the engine? Not that I know of... it's much more effective to spray into the engine, since that's where the heat is produced. If you spray on the outside, that's like dropping a hot pan in an ice bath- everything that matters, which is inside the pan, is still hot.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Sep 12 2003, 04:05 PM
is there such a device that sprays nos directly onto the engine itself to cool it down?

and if so, does that retard premature engine wear or advance it?

you can spray nitrous where-ever you want. Think about it. You could spray nitrous all over your engine. First of all, it would be a complete waste of nitrous, and second of all, rapidly cooling engine parts during operation is stupid. Thats how things crack and distort. Money and time would be better spend on things like better radiators, high pressure coolant systems, twin fans, and oil coolers... as well as better ventilation. If your just looking to "keep things cool" it would be much wiser to spray C02 indirectly, or around the intake pipe. But even that is arguably a huge waste of time.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Sep 12 2003, 03:14 PM

dont quote me, but my understanding of one of the reasons why nos or whatever was used was to compensate for the turbo lag during the first few seconds of acceleration...

Actually i heard that you shouldn't hit NOS before about 1500 RPM. If you have a decent turbo, shouldn't it already be spooling around that time????

1500 hahahahahahahahah

most "real" turbos won't spool until 4-5000. larger ones even higher.

the reason for not hitting the button buelow 1500 is due to the lack of fuel. not much fuel is rushing it at lower rpms... but once you get moving, there will be some fuel on tap to mix with.

if you don't have fuel, you basically lean the fuck out to holy hell and go boom

Back