turbo with supercharge

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civic15.8

Well i put this in here cause i dont think it is a tech question, but if you moderators think it is then move at will.

Well what do you think would it work a turbo charger and a supercharge on the same motor honda that is. whther it be a b-series or d-series h or k or f series which ever. No im not polanning on doing this just wanted some input on it thanks.

found it in less time than it takes to take a piss!!! hahahahahha

no, i know what a turbo is but i want to know if it is possible to have a turbo and supercharge on at the same time and it run right. I have search it on google and didnt have any luck.

I believe that's been tried before on something.... it was called a twin charger...definitely not for a honda motor.

yeah, the 1st gen MR2 that was in USCC in SCC has 3 power adders.
supercharged, turbocharged, and Nitrous. the engine managment was programmed to use the supercharger boost till the turbo was spooled and then somehow it magically changed and used the turbos boost instead, and then they threw some nitrous at the whole thing, and it didnt blow up.

sorry, I must've miss read...:oops:
what do the big time fi guys have to say??
I just don't see why you would even want to do this...

It's a dumb idea for a few reasons... first off, with turbocharger technology being as advanced as it is today, you can have a high HP setup with minimal (read: almost none) lag. Also, since positive displacement superchargers (Roots type, like the JR unit) are around 50% efficient and will only add to the thermal rise of the intake charge.

Basically... after the turbo heats the air up some, the blower is going to heat it up a TON. How much is a ton? Typical blower outlet temps are around 250°F above ambient. Add the 150°F from the turbo, and you're at 350°F intake charge temps. But it gets better... That 250°F is assuming that the blower is ingesting unpressurized atmospheric air. The design of the Roots blower is such that it will take whatever pressure it recieves in the intake and add to that. So... we have 10 PSI from the turbo, which is already hot, and add 8 from the blower that adds more heat, but since the blower is already working with compressed, hot air, you can't just add the two temps together. I have all the math formulas on my other computer, which is in storage at the moment, but an off the top of my head guess would put the intake charge temp after the blower at somewhere around 425° for that setup.

Generally, everything has been tried in the way of power production. If you don't see it being used today, there's a good reason...

I have seen it done on several Deisel motor before, and quite safely. What it allows the motor to do is make enough power until the large turbo spools up. It works really well for generators, and other apllications like that. Most large ships use set ups like that on their back up generators.

Originally posted by Smonkeyboy@Jan 22 2004, 05:39 PM
so tahts probablly why they were using nitrous, to cool the intake charge????

Yes, but to base your power output and lifeline of the engine on a depleteable resource (bottle of nitrous) is an incredibly assinine thing to do. But if you're talking a drag car, anything goes.

When I talk tech and start saying what works and what doesn't work, I'm approaching it from a road racing/ fast street car angle. To me, drag racing- especially with FWD cars- is about as silly as NAStyCAR, so it doesn't even show up on my radar.

Originally posted by Iron 1@Jan 22 2004, 05:36 PM
sorry, I must've miss read...:oops:
what do the big time fi guys have to say??
I just don't see why you would even want to do this...

like i said before i dont want to do this im just wondering

Meguiars placed a turbo and supercharger on their ITR. It's the red and yellow Integra. Not sure how it worked out though. Strictly. I like just a turbo.

ok well someone tried it on a d-series
f9de68f4.jpg

Originally posted by civic15.8@Jan 22 2004, 11:15 PM
ok well someone tried it on a d-series
f9de68f4.jpg

I don't see it in the car and running... Hey, I can bolt parts together too. That doesn't mean I've actually tried it.

i got the pic off ht and the guy said it came out of a running car sorry :D

anyone else see something missing??

s4010a20a0c35f.jpg

This honestly doesn't look like it has been running. about the most action i think this motor has seen was being taken out of the trunk of a running car, probably in pieces.

Back