Turbo worth it?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i see them all the time and there tempting because there so cheap, but to be honest i wouldnt trust them, your gonna spend 800-1000 for the kit and i dont know how tech savvy you are but may need install, you could be looking at close to 1500 for kit+install. just to have the POS break or die. why not just save a little extra and do it right the first time. And if your really strapped for cash assemble a turbo kit 1 piece at a time or tunertoys.com (bseries turbo kit $1,375ish)

Thanks for the info. Now after looking at the kit on tuner toys you pointed out, it says it does 6 psi of boost, Im wondering, after adding better injectors and other fuel components, a intercooler etc, can I push that up higher on that turbo and kit, or do I need a different one. I guess my question is, this looks like a good start, can more parts be added to seriously increase the boost and power I get from it?
once again, any help is great, thanks.

Also, Im looking at the parts list, and because the less expensive kit does not have a intercooler, is that why there is no blow off valve, and is that safe?

Last edited:
i just wrote a huge write-up for you and then my computer took a shit and lost it so im going to give you some basic tips and if you need more info just ask more questions.

not having a bov is fine if your running only like 6psi, but anymore should have a bov, the stop surges of pressuer that can damage the compresser wheel in the turbo

an intercooler is not a must but helps the efficance of the turbo and gains you some solid hp numbers ( a cheap intercooler from ebay is fine plus if it gets damaged it will be cheap to replace) dont get piping more than 2.25 inches if your running uner 300hp because it could cause lag

when you upgrade to a turbo you should install bigger injectors as you need the extra fuel flow.

your car can handle 300hp on stock motor, me personally wouldnt push my car to that limit though.

the tuner toys kit is internally wastegated at 6psi so it wont push more boost unless you boost so much the wastegate can not vent the amount of boost, this is dangerous and unreliable.

if i were you i would just build my own kit, as you can assemble it piece by piece and it wont be a giant drag on your wallet

what you will need is
turbo internal wastegate at 14psi(good name brand) , manifold (tunertoys, rev hard, hks, greddy), injectors (dsm's will work or a name brand), bov (turbonetics, turbo xs, greddy, hks, ) boost controller ( manual from turbo xs), spark plugs (one heat range cooler), intercooler (cheap ebay), and

engine control - spend the money here as it is very important. either reflash your ecu, chip it, or standalone engine managment or you can use a high pressure high volume fuel pump combined with a rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

there are cheap brands out there by the names : xs power, and rev speed i believe they use these names to trick people by sounding like the name brands turbo xs and rev hard. DO NOT get any turbo component from cheap companies with exception of an intercooler

here are some sites that have parts or info you may need
Spooled Motorsports / www.spooledmotorsports.com
Tuner Toys Tuner Toys - a growing resource for Do It Yourself Turbocharging!
https://hondaswap.com/turbo-information/building-homemade-turbo-kit-81384/
Homemadeturbo.com

Back