Turbocharging an 88 DX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ryanwolfe911

Hey guys I just accuired an 88 Civic DX with the really crappy throttle body injected D series. I was gonna turbo charge this engine cause it's my daily driver beater car and it's miserabley underpowered. The question I was wondering is if the 2 Throttle body injectors are capable of delivering enough fuel under boost, while using a 12:1 FMU. Has any one done this before and does it work well, or should I just put an si motor in it. Either way I don't particularly care about the motor sice it has 186,000 miles on it, and when it blows I will put the D16Z from my 93 Si in it. Oh by the way I realize the one of the two injectores is only a cold start injector and doesnt run all the time. I was thinking about making some kind of boost pressure switch to activate the second injector under boost , just for safety meausures.

if you have your heart set on boosting a DX, do an MPFI swap to get 4 injectors, replace the DX rods as I have heard that they are the weak part in the D15, and while you are replacing the rods get new bearings, and piston rings. It will be like having a new D15, which is kinda lame because for the money you can go out and buy a working D16z6, D16y8, or B16a.

you can drop a d16 in there with minimal mods to the bay. you can boost it easily.

Originally posted by Tonyd0821@Oct 11 2003, 11:48 PM
read a few threads i have created in the past few days....

that should be warning enough.

This is Loco Honkey again...

Tony, before you go telling everyone how much boosted D series suck, perhaps you should take a shot at setting one up properly, or educating yourself a little more about how turbocharger systems work. I ran 10 PSI with an FMU on a 132K mile completely original D16Z6 for almost a year (and as far as I know, the car has almost 160K on it now and still runs fine), and right before I got rid of it, at 132K, I did a leakdown and compression test- No more than 1.5% leakdown across the board, and my hot compression numbers were 205,200,195,200. Again- All stock internals and gaskets that were run at 10 PSI with an FMU for almost a year. And no, I wasn't afraid of the loud pedal.

As for the boosted DX... the DPFI will NOT work with an FMU. The only way to get that fuel system to work under boost is to use an SDS EIC (do a search on Google to find the site; I'm too lazy to find it myself). The rods are weaker, slightly, but you're really splitting hairs there, kinda like which is better- Castrol GTX or Mobil1. Anyway... You'd be better off to swap in an Si intake manifold and fueling system, but if you're absolutly bent on boosting the DX intake system, go to http://www.homemadeturbo.com and check out the boosted DX in there.

I'm not really hell bent on boosting it, I just thought maybe I could do it for the time being, cuse I'm kinda lazy and don't have the time to swap my d16z into the car, partly cause it's kinda hard to find a used MPFI injection harness in the junkyards around here. (Everybody already robbed them) I really don't want to use the whole harness out of my 93 Si, cause then I will have to buy a whole new harness for that car when I get my b16a done, but on the plus side, it would be nice to have an 88 DX with a full OBD1 conversion. Thanx for the help

Back