Turboedit: OBD0 Represent!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

MikeBergy

Blah blah blah....
I am getting my engine back from rocket motorsports in a couple of weeks, and need to look into getting a basemap burned to a chip. Question: I have never used any chip burning software. I understand the setups on the actual software, and how to edit the maps, but how is it actually burned from that file? I will probably be getting something similar to the pocket programmer to burn chips, or possibly a romulator. When you go to burn a chip, do you just save that modded map from the program to a bin file, and then transfer the bin to the programmer? I am not exactly how the program gets on to the chip from the software. Thanks in advance. Pills, jump in if you have the time, I know you know hondata pretty well, so maybe you know. Thanks

it sounds like you understand pretty well. yes, the rom editor (program itself, i.e. turbo edit, hondata, uberdata, etc.) is used to make changes to the .bin file, then you save those changes to the actual .bin file and then open the .bin file with your chip burner software (has nothing to do with the program you used to edit the .bin) and basically all you see is a bunch of binary data, then you use the programmer to burn/program the .bin file to the actual chip. just think of it as the chip is a cd and the burner is your cd burner, same priciple just different types of media ;)

Gotcha. Thanks. I was not thinking the rom burner came with software, but that wouldn't make sense. Is getting a romulator instead of a chip burner a worthwhile investment? After all, I'd only be tuning that car, not a bunch of cars, so it would cut down on having to buy extraneous equipment. ANy yeas/nays?

Originally posted by MikeBergy@Mar 16 2005, 11:25 PM
Gotcha. Thanks. I was not thinking the rom burner came with software, but that wouldn't make sense. Is getting a romulator instead of a chip burner a worthwhile investment? After all, I'd only be tuning that car, not a bunch of cars, so it would cut down on having to buy extraneous equipment. ANy yeas/nays?
[post=474641]Quoted post[/post]​

Well thats up to you, i mean you got the right idea, but the price for the extra stuff really isint that much. And considering your geting into a pretty indepth part of modding these cars, you may as well go all out if its not gonna cost much. Plus why go this far if only to stop short of that? I mean mme i would go with the romulator and burner. But if it helps may go romulator,, and then get the burner after you get pissed for not buying it first.

a romulator doesn't burn chips though...

if you have the cash, id go with both. it makes tuning asooooooooooo much easiesr and faster.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 17 2005, 10:21 AM
a romulator doesn't burn chips though...

if you have the cash, id go with both.  it makes tuning asooooooooooo much easiesr and faster.
[post=474805]Quoted post[/post]​

When you mean faster, do you mean like it could save me the cost of the romulator in tuning time faster?

Edit: just read the fine print on the Romulator. It only keeps its program for like 18 hours max. Not a permanent fixture like the s200 Hondata unit. I still might get due to the argument Brian brought up. Thanks guys.

not sure if te had ostrich support yet, but the ostrich stores settings for 75 years, so no need for a burner also, and they're only 175 bucks from moates.net, i love mine! rtp owns!

Originally posted by projekteg@Mar 21 2005, 06:28 AM
not sure if te had ostrich support yet, but the ostrich stores settings for 75 years, so no need for a burner also, and they're only 175 bucks from moates.net, i love mine!  rtp owns!
[post=476408]Quoted post[/post]​

RTP? I am not familiar with that term, real time programming? Also, will the ostrich emulate the type of eprom found in OBD0 ecu's? PGMFI.org states that it is a 38256 eprom.

EDIT: Off the moates.net site:

Product Description: This is THE standalone USB emulator. It might be the ONLY one. It will emulate 2732A, 27C128, 27C256, 27C512, and more!

Guess I just answered my own question. Thanks projekteg, what's your name, btw? I am wondering how much you would charge to socket a pr4 ecu for me?
PM me when you get a chance, thanks.

Originally posted by MikeBergy+Mar 22 2005, 12:41 AM-->
projekteg
@Mar 21 2005, 06:28 AM
not sure if te had ostrich support yet, but the ostrich stores settings for 75 years, so no need for a burner also, and they're only 175 bucks from moates.net, i love mine! rtp owns!
[post=476408]Quoted post[/post]​

RTP? I am not familiar with that term, real time programming? Also, will the ostrich emulate the type of eprom found in OBD0 ecu's? PGMFI.org states that it is a 38256 eprom.

EDIT: Off the moates.net site:

Product Description: This is THE standalone USB emulator. It might be the ONLY one. It will emulate 2732A, 27C128, 27C256, 27C512, and more!

Guess I just answered my own question. Thanks projekteg, what's your name, btw? I am wondering how much you would charge to socket a pr4 ecu for me?
PM me when you get a chance, thanks.
[post=476894]Quoted post[/post]​

I personally use TurboEdit and love it! I am running the 1 wire VTEC through my A/C compressor controller. Running a D16z6 with 8 lbs of boost.

Back