Turboing a B18c5 or B16B (ITR, CTR)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

98b16a2

The question is more at the B18C5, but due to the similar high compression ratio of these engines (10.8:1 / 11.1:1), I figured I'd tie the CTR into it as well.

With the B18C5 being very high. On the stock engine, is it possible to do a basic turbo setup. The end goal is not to blow the engine of course, but to give it a little extra kick.
I know the best way would be to lower the compression...etc. However, I was curious if there was anyone with some experience in this area that can say, 5-8 pounds of boost is possible without issue. Or, if it's quite the opposite, and that no boost should be added to the stock B18C5. Appreciate the input.

It's totally possible to run 5-8lbs of boost on a stock Type R motor.

10-15 years ago.....you were right and lower compression was "safer" for 10+lbs of boost. It's still a way people build motors but tuning has grown so much.

So.....the big key to your answer is in the tuning of the ECU. If you can find a legit dyno tuner....you are good to go.

I've been out of the Honda scene for about 8 years now. Heh, I've had a B18C5 sitting around waiting to be swapped into my civic for YEARS.... Finally figured I'd pick up and finish the project.

I also have a B16 lying around with a turbo kit I was going to put on it. Was thinking of putting it on the B18, but didn't have my heart into tearing the engine apart to swap in some new rods and pistons. Last I knew the high compression wasn't a desirable. But there was a grey area as to if the low boost would be a killer or not.

So the key is tuning the ECU.....Hmmmm. Pretty much, install the turbo, have it tuned to little to no boost, and drop it off to the Dyno guys?

Any heads up on this particular situation I should be aware of, or as usual with setting up a turbo, proceed with caution? =p

Be cautious of the tuner. They all think they got the skills. Just try to get word of mouth about tuners.

But 5-8lbs isn't that scary.

My advise ...once it's installed and ready to be tuned.....take it super easy on its trip to the tuner...better yet....tow it to the tuner.

just stay out of boost until its tuned. you can puttputt your way around town staying out of boost if you can control your right foot.

Back