Turboing My DOHC ZC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

they say those ones aren't the best because it gets all of its readings from just 1 runner insted of all of them

Exhaust Turbo Manifold D15 D16 D Series Civic 1988-2000:eBay Motors (item 350291783072 end time Dec-17-09 12:36:47 PST)
and ones like this is what I was talking about, they are ram horn knock off's

just to clarify, the 1k is just for the kit. not including anything else. that is my limit on the kit itself..

I'm gonna look into "crome". im very interested in it. thanks

and to the ram horn knock off... nice, just what i had in mind..

Thanks for the info guys. keep it coming. Gonna need all the info and advice I can get. this is my first turbo set up, that i will be doing.

does it matter if the turbo kit says its for a sohc? i hope it doesnt. I found this kit. comes with a lot more. comes with the same exhaust manifold, and downpipe.

D-Series D15/D16 1.5L/1.6L SOHC CIVIC DEL SOL TURBO KIT on eBay.ca (item 330359447303 end time 09-Jan-10 21:00:55 EST)

I don't believe it matters, because the flange is the same. because when most people think d series they think sohc not dohc like your engine but I believe it should fit. and keep us informed on if you get that one how to downpipe fits, I've been wondering about that part myself honestly

Will do.. gonna look around a bit more. but im pretty sure it's the one im gonna get.

Am i going to need a fuel pressure regulator? I was told I'm gonna need one.

it's never a bad idea to get anything that upgrades your fuel system, and if you go threw summit racing or jegs or anything like that you can get them for like $20 or so...I believe they ship to canada but not 100% on that

If you have a little extra cash after the turbo setup, I'd advise a few other little things too:
1) an alarm if you dont already have one
2) a catch can setup
3) magnetic oil drain plug. tells the story of the inside of your engine every oil change
and before you put the turbo setup on there, be sure the engine is 100% leak free and you have done all regular maintenance. 3k mile oil changes will be okay once you're turbo'd but if it were me I'd go ~2500 miles per change.

so that is the same thing as having a fuel pressure regulator? i dont know much about fuel components

Nope nothing. this is the 2nd one i put in. didnt have ANY problems. both started up first try and no codes at all. the first zc swap i took out the sohc with the D16A6 head with an D16A1 block. its just a little tight gettin it in. i bought the car for $1000 but the sohc burnt oil like a bitch. and i picked up the first zc for $350 a few months before.

for your power goals it is not worth messing with your fpr, its unnecessary and a waste of money. just get a 255lph walbro and be done with it. do NOT get one of those cheap ebay ramhorn type manifolds. they are poop and very often crack near where the wastegate is mounted. lastly, your tuning options are going to be extremely limited if you stay obd0. i highly suggest converting to obd1.

here is a very good writeup on how to turbocharge your honda
-->COMPLETE How-To:: Turbocharge Your Honda // Rep-ing Hypnotik Speed - Honda-Tech

AWESOME WRITE-UP!!! Thanks.

lmao. Nube question, but what is "fpr"?

So your saying an ebay turbo won't get me to 200hp at like 7-8psi on a good tune?

Also the cheap ramhorn knockoff would just be temporary. I'll be upgrading as i go.

And how would i go about converting to 0bd1?

I know I can search but this thread will help if anyone plans on turboing the same engine.

AWESOME WRITE-UP!!! Thanks.

lmao. Nube question, but what is "fpr"?

So your saying an ebay turbo won't get me to 200hp at like 7-8psi on a good tune?

Also the cheap ramhorn knockoff would just be temporary. I'll be upgrading as i go.

fpr is fuel pressure regulator

an ebay turbo will get you easily to around 200 hp. the problem is reliability. it might last 2 years or it might last 2 weeks.

converting to obd1 is not that difficult. you will need to find an obd1 dizzy for one. now you could go about this different ways but if i were you i'd just get yourself an obd1 ecu chipped with a dohc zc basemap from phearable.net. tell them what parts you've installed and they'll set something up that should get your engine runnning half way decent until you can get it to the tuner.

Back