Turn the key and nothing happens

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Dachdu 92

HEy guys i have a 1988 Honda Prelude SI, and if i turn the key to the starting position it wont turn over. Before you could charge it with a screwdriver on the positive cable where it connects to the starter to start it (I did this twice) and it woukd fire up, so i took the starter and had it tested and it passed so the guy told be to check the smaller black cable that connects to it and the end didnt look very good so i replaced the end and now i get nothing at all can anyone help me out with this? im new to Honda's.

you're not telling us all the info, sounds like you played with your ignition wires and can't figure out the solution

I just bought the car a week ago wrecked and ive been working on it, i know the battery is good, its the one i use everyday in my daily driver the only thing ive done is put a new end on the black starter wire, and ive had the starter tested and its good, also i have power when i turn the key just nothing when i try to start the car

There should be a little spade connection on your starter solenoid. This usually has a small female connector with a black wire and a white stripe. Disconnect it. Get about a yard of regular household wire and crimp an identical female connector onto it. Push this onto the solenoid spade. Install a known good battery (connect it up) and touch the other end of your homemade wire off the positive terminal on the battery. This gives battery voltage directly to the starter solenoid and by-passes the ignition switch. If it starts theres a break in the starter circuit somewhere or your ignition swich is faulty. If it doesn't, your battery, starter or starter solenoid is at fault. Hope this helps

So it ended up being the car has a card that has to be in for the car to start. maybe from an old car alarm

No, lol its like a chip and all the ignition wires plug into its socket mounted right at the bottom of the dash in plain sight, definetely not a fuse

I posted that without reading your comment about the alarm

Back