turning a new leaf

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Well scratch that then.... Hmmmmm, If you do some running, try to run on the grass right beside the sidewalk. As big as you are, it could be murder on your knees. Even as small as I am, I absolutely hate running, but I still have to every day, lol. Ellipticals are nice too, they give the joints a break and can still get going at a good clip.

Calories in vs calories out, that's all there is to it. Of course that in itself can get complicated, but the overall idea is simple. :)

That's a lot of weight to lose in a short amount of time though, even if you can do it you run into the risk of rebound afterwards. Not as bad as I thought at first glance though, it's only 3 or 4 pounds a week. Bump that to 2 or 3 a week and you've got a realistic and doable goal.

Joo ken doo eet!!

Well scratch that then.... Hmmmmm, If you do some running, try to run on the grass right beside the sidewalk. As big as you are, it could be murder on your knees. Even as small as I am, I absolutely hate running, but I still have to every day, lol. Ellipticals are nice too, they give the joints a break and can still get going at a good clip.

I have chronic lower back pain and the elipitical machines are actually more painful on my back than running or biking is. I am not sure why but it may be something to look out for B.

Calories in vs calories out, that's all there is to it. Of course that in itself can get complicated, but the overall idea is simple. :)

That's a lot of weight to lose in a short amount of time though, even if you can do it you run into the risk of rebound afterwards. Not as bad as I thought at first glance though, it's only 3 or 4 pounds a week. Bump that to 2 or 3 a week and you've got a realistic and doable goal.

Joo ken doo eet!!

The 1-2 lb thing is for people who aren't fat. Look at those dudes on biggest loser-- they drop like 15lbs a week at first

congrats on the motivation. I gave up and just accepted the fact that I'm a fat ass.

The 1-2 lb thing is for people who aren't fat. Look at those dudes on biggest loser-- they drop like 15lbs a week at first

yea, but those people have also sat on their ass half their lives and ate.. a lot ..

i'm sure if you're 100% dedicated to this, you will shed weight fast at first.. eventually you'll run into a wall.. thats when you'll need to change things up because you body is getting used to the workout

You've set the bar high as far as your goal. 50 pounds in 90 days is no joke, even if you shed it fast.

All I can say is watch your portion size, that's my main problem. I only eat about 2 meals a day, but the portions are large so I'm not really cutting down on my calorie intake.

I wish you good luck on losing weight and reaching your goal, but even more if you can kick the cig addiction. :thumbsup:

diet is one of the most important things, if not thee most important.
eating a few large meals a day is a biiiiig no no if youre trying to lose weight.
you want to eat like five medium sized meals, spread throughout the day.
it keeps your metabolism working.
and whatever you do, dont starve yourself. thats the worst thing you could do.

Good to hear. I haven't been to the gym in like 2 weeks. Work has been throwing me curve balls and my sleep pattern is totally haywire. I'm wide awake when I need to be sleeping and tired as hell most of the time. Honestly was thinking about doing the trial 6 weeks on a Bowflex. 20 minutes, 3 times a week, plus some crazy cardio. If I'm not happy then send it back. Frankly I just spent too much time at the gym. Generally around 10 hours a week.

But what I found worked well for me...

-Running/cardio. I was doing 5 days a week, at least 30 minutes if not an hour. Something like 20-25 miles a week before my "trainer"(friend who writes my programs) said it was deteriorating my muscle growth. Cut it down to about 5-7 a week and the weight literally STOPPED coming off. I've even gained a little back. Frankly I think you're like me. As far as muscle size, I'm fine. Maybe a little more toned, but there is no need for real "growth". Losing the fat is the issue. I need to get back on the treadmill, hard.

-Diet. Glycemic Index. Learn it. It's what Nutri-System is based on. I think it tastes better than any "bad" food and the weight will come off with this alone.

Eat 4-6 times a day. Doesn't even need to be real meals. Piece of fruit, a yogurt, whatever, keep the "furnace" burning. With that being said, breakfast. Gets your metabolism going rather than going into storage mode. Every 3 to 4 hours. You can still even have your conventional dinner and you will find you're eating less of it.

-Drinking water. 3-4 liters a day. Keeps the body flushed(especially if you take supplements). But anymore than that, you're just pissing way too much and it is actually overworking your organs.

-Drinking alcohol. One good night of boozing can undo a week of work. This has been the real key to me controlling the alcohol thing I was going through. Not only will I make a fool of myself, but I'll feel fat and shitty for two days. Average night of drinking before, I was downing 8-12 beers. Now a bad/borderline night is 6. Generally 2-3. Hard liquor is generally better as long as you're smart about the mix but with ulcers this really wasn't an option for me.

Anyway, good luck and stick to it.

and whatever you do, dont starve yourself. thats the worst thing you could do.
Starving does work. As a former wrestler don't tell me it doesn't. It just is not healthy at all. And doesn't make you a pleasant person to be around

you may lose weight, but as soon as you eat again, youll gain twice as much.

when you dont eat, your body thinks your starving, so it hangs onto every piece of food that you eat. wanna know how it stores all this food it rations for energy?
FAT!

Starving does work. As a former wrestler don't tell me it doesn't. It just is not healthy at all. And doesn't make you a pleasant person to be around

+1

I think I did more damage to my body by sucking weight and starving myself than I did doing anything else--but it worked.

You think you're telling me something I don't know? These were the days were I would run 5 miles in 3 hoodies, 3 pairs of sweats, and plastics(don't know what they are? you're lucky) to drain the water out of my body to make weight. Forced, intentional dehydration. All while probably not even taking in 1000 calories a day.

Left me with hypoglycemia and the weigh/image issues of a 13 year old girl. Talk to any former hardcore wrestler, you will hear similar stories.

I am very aware of what you went through. I did it through high school and college. Knee injury/surgery stopped my wrestling days.

I am very aware of what you went through. I did it through high school and college. Knee injury/surgery stopped my wrestling days.
Hey me too. Left meniscus and MCL. Still remember the match. My coach screams to the ref, "watch the knee!". Kid tweaks its to the point I feel the strain. Ref does nothing. Kid tweaks it more, POP. Shitty part is I had him pinned earlier in the period. I still have the video of how flat I got his shoulders. Banana split FTW, well I guess not. But anyway, sorry for the thread jack B....:ph34r:

Frankly I think you're like me. As far as muscle size, I'm fine. Maybe a little more toned, but there is no need for real "growth". Losing the fat is the issue.
yeah, exactly. i'm pretty muscular and have a lot of mass already... its just covered up with fat. i haven't worked out literally in years and i could still easily put up 200 on the bench.

-Diet. Glycemic Index. Learn it. It's what Nutri-System is based on. I think it tastes better than any "bad" food and the weight will come off with this alone.
yup, i have the whole nutrition guide from the system too. 150-odd pages of know-how, recipies, and meal planning.

Eat 4-6 times a day. Doesn't even need to be real meals. Piece of fruit, a yogurt, whatever, keep the "furnace" burning. With that being said, breakfast. Gets your metabolism going rather than going into storage mode. Every 3 to 4 hours. You can still even have your conventional dinner and you will find you're eating less of it.

yup, i've already eaten 3 times so far, and getting ready for #4 when i get home.

-Drinking water. 3-4 liters a day. Keeps the body flushed(especially if you take supplements). But anymore than that, you're just pissing way too much and it is actually overworking your organs.

this is the hardest thing for me... i don't like water much... it has to be ICE frigging cold.

I do however like tea... plain, no sugar... just flavored water basically.

-Drinking alcohol. One good night of boozing can undo a week of work. .
i'm not a big drinker anyway.
i had my binge last saturday night, and now i'm good for another couple months without it. I still have beer in my fridge from super bowl....

good luck. good timing w/ spring. i almost bought p90x, opted for gym membership i don't use much, oop.

i've had a gym membership since 2003. its such a waste. i just didn't ever cancel it in 'case one day i want to go'. yeah, that hasn't happened. lol

this is the hardest thing for me... i don't like water much... it has to be ICE frigging cold.
I usually just have a jug at work. Force yourself to drink it at first, then you'll be thirsty when you don't have it. Classical conditioning applied to real life.

Damn B good luck. I remember when you started a thread a little over 2 years ago but it didnt seem as well thought out as this one. I took your lead and I have lost a shit load of weight. I was 6'3'' 285lbs. before I really started to lose my weight. I fell off a few times, then I get back on for a few months, but I never gain weight. I can eat like a fucking pig and not gain weight because of my metabolism :)

I weighed myself just a few minutes ago... and I am pumped. I finally hit the 'under 200' club. I am currently a muscular 197, which isnt too bad for my height. I still would like to lose another 15-20 but I know it will take time. It really does feel good to fit comfortably in a 33 inch waist. If you need any hints or other thoughts let me know.

Back