Twin Turbo Honda

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Canuck 93 Civic Si

Im about to get myself a new engine to build up on my spare time but i havnt been able to find a suitable T3 from the scrap yards so i was thinking, why not put on two small tubos in somehow? It will mean more tube bending and welding ( no problem ) but what do you all think? Will there be any forseeable problems? I was thinking of arranging them in series like the 3rd gen Rx7 so that there is very little lag and i can get the big boost that i want when i get moving along. And i do like the sound of a Twin Turbo Civic.

I could call it the TTC and get a sticker that says Ride the Rocket :p . Toronto people will know what im talking about there.

TT's in a civic or any Inline engine is not the smartest idea. You will not see as big as gains and it will run pretty un-effecintly.

I'm with asmallsol. The better plan is twin-charging. A roots type supercharger like the JRSC and a large turbo. The blower makes boost at low rpms and then the turbo spools up and make tons of top end. I've seen a dyno pull of a type r make 450hp/450tq with over 400 ft-lbs by 5000 rpm. The packaging is alot easier and twin turbos don't make sense on a I-4 engine. If you have the money the twin-charger setup seem badass but a well-engineered turbo setup would make more power than I could ever use.

Originally posted by closedhood97@Mar 12 2003, 05:29 PM
I'm with asmallsol. The better plan is twin-charging.

Uh.. a good turbo setup will make that exact same amount of power without a supercharger to restrict it at higher revs. Been reading too many magazines lately huh?

:kick:

Ya I saw that one too. It did seem pretty cool bet what Calesta said makes allot of sense. It would be kinda hard for the poor turbo to push past those rotors in the blower.

I just did a bit of looking and found a video clip of a TT Civic pulling a 10.59 pass. :) pretty cool but i couldnt find anything else about the setup. :(

if im not mistaken the advantage of a TT is having a separate turbo for each cylinder line in a V engine. In an inline engine, yes your getting more CFMs, but it's inefficient and does the same thing that could be accomplished with a bigger hybrid turbo.

This is my thinking, I could be wrong.

where did yall get TT on an inline is bad??? yall think the design of the engine effects the turbo but the piping on the v engine would be different on each side unless you are using two custom turbos that oppose each other when facing the same direction. The design of inlines make them more powerful than V engines. but the best configuration is a flat engine, or a rotary.

The whole point of the TT is for a faster spool up, but there will be added weight and space would be cramped.

For the supercharger and turbo setup, its impossible to use a roots blower. You can use a centrifugal blower with some sort of 3-way check valve.

Originally posted by liquid00meth+Mar 12 2003, 08:12 PM-->
Originally posted by SolReaver@Mar 12 2003, 07:49 PM
Canuck 93 Civic Si
@Mar 12 2003, 07:40 PM
Someone tell me something encouraging..... please  :)

2 turbos is double dA bLinG bLang y0!!!1!1

~WeRd~

:withstupid:

Thanks yo!

BTW all things considered the most powerfull engine configuration is a radial and the V comes in a close second, then flat. Dont get me wrong honda inlines still own, but just look and the Vs honda made in its F1 glory days... 1000 BHP anyone

Dude, you can't compare an f1 engine (of any design) to a street-legal engine. It's like saying "inline is bad because dragsters with v-10's, turbo, nitrous, and only eat alchohol at 10 gal/sec run at 3000+ hp".

And TT's on skylines are stock. Just like a supra, and just like an FD Rx7. Everyone that drags switches to a single unit turbo(unless it's in a V config).

Im not comparing F1 technology to street cars, im simply stating the fact that all engines arent created equal ( duh ) and the setups with the best power to weight ratio are:

1st Radial
2nd Vee
3rd Horizontally Opposed
4th Inline

This is of course not considering elements such as VTEC, FI or NOS but the point is some engines are able to produce more displacement without adding on that much extra weight. i.e and extra crank journals for one or two additional cylinders.

a TT setup on a honda motor is pointless.

What makes a turbo boost? exhaust flow. if you split that exahust flow in half, you double your spool time.
so now, you lag to 5-6000 on a small turbo, just because there's not enough flow to push it.

i guess youll have to use even smaller turbos, but i have already seen TT on a honda, one on the street to. The whole point of TT is get very high pressure faster.

Dragsters dont use single turbo, autoX does. When using TT the sudden burst of pressure causes traction loss.

ummm no. if you go to an even smaller turbo, your still going to have less potential for output.

TT is for 6 cly's and over- and even better on V-style motors.

i personally have ordered the equivelent of a t3/t61 turbo. t3 side for decent spool, and a t61 compressor for huge total output. 600 horse, here i come.

That sounds like a great turbine you found there pissedoffsol, where'd you happen to find one of them? 600hp is NUTS in a honda but not crazy. hehehehhe

i think that the twin turbo would be decient for performance but for show use it will be bad ass and it would be mainly for looks and would score you some good points

No offense but looks come second to performance in my book! I admit I also have spent too much on looks and but the performance always takes priority at least for me. But good luck either way!

Back