TWIN TURBO?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

integraenthusiest

i was just wondering if it would be possible to twin turbo a 4cylinder?
i mean i know its not a 4cylinder but i read about a car that had a quad turbo v10. so if thats possibe then it must be possible to twin turbo a 4 cylinder. right? :unsure:

Anything CAN be accomplished with enough wasted money and effort. It's not practical, but it can be done--just like a Civic can have RWD--10-15k later, you have a RWD civic that is most likely still slow as shit. Same difference with a TT 4 cylinder.

possible? yes.
more power? no
faster spool? doubtful
more weight, money, and headaches, yes

saying you have a TT civic- priceless

Yeah, some guy did it. It was cool to look at, but COMPLETELY worthless. You would gain nothing by adding a second turbo to a honda.

i knew that twin turbos dont really work in nearly any car with less than 10 cylinders, but think how cool it would be to have a twin turbo honda, just to see the look on ricers faces would be enough for me. They would be all like; damn dood that must be way faster than any car on the road, even mine with the extra 150 hp i got with all these stickers of companies logos whos parts arent even on my car :lol:

but seriously how cool would it be to have an all carbon fiber chassis with an either 600-800hp quad turbo v10 that did 10.3sec in the 1/4 and 0-60 in 2.9sec? For the price being less than 200k its really a good deal if ur a rich bastard who doesnt know what to do with their money.

Originally posted by integraenthusiest@Jun 14 2004, 02:01 PM
but seriously how cool would it be to have an all carbon fiber chassis with an either 600-800hp quad turbo v10 that did 10.3sec in the 1/4 and 0-60 in 2.9sec? For the price being less than 200k its really a good deal if ur a rich bastard who doesnt know what to do with their money.

Do you even think about what you're typing, or do you just pound away at the keyboard? If you're doing it to impress ricers, you're just a ricer yourself. Go away.

If you go to www.homemadeturbo.com there are 2 people there that have done twin turbo on their 4's. One guy did it on a d16z6 and the other did it on an ls/vtec. About integraenthusiest's post with the carbonfiber car with a quad turbo v10 chrystler made one called the ME,4,12. They are actualy said it's a prototype and not a concept. It was in car & driver and another mag too. The 0-60 in 2.9 and 1/4 in 10.3 I can't remember if those were the times they said that car can do it in but I know it's somewhere around there.

wow 800hp v10's with carbon fiber chassis. theres some honda single tubo with just fiberglass body pushing 800whp and running into the 8s. if you want it to last; some i6 skylines are pushing 900hp single turbo. considering the viper's v10 pushes 500whp w/o turbo; that makes a quad-turbo system look bad as single turbo setup on honda's gain over ~400whp on high end systems.

Originally posted by ktanaka@Jun 14 2004, 12:45 PM
Yeah, some guy did it. It was cool to look at, but COMPLETELY worthless.

Completely worthless? You have to be joking lol. My buddy did that twin turbo ls/vtec and it was actually very fast. The 2 IHI turbos spooled much quicker than he thought too (5 psi by 2800 rpms and holds 7 psi until 8300 rpms). We took it to the dyno and he made 285whp at 8-12 psi... not bad at all. The whole turbo kit cost him about $200 and the ls/vtec rebuild cost him about $400. He got it all done in 1 week while working a full time job... pretty impressive if you ask me. So why diid he do it? Why the fuck not. He can do all the labor himself without spending hardly any money. It was just another fun project for him I guess. http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.p...;threadid=19375

If you want to do a TT honda for fun or to have a show peice then go for it. Don't expect it to be faster just because it has 2 turbos though. He is actually selling the TT setup right now for $900 if your interested in buying it (check the classifieds on HMT).

Originally posted by projectxspeed@Jun 14 2004, 03:23 PM
I wanna see pics and dyno graphs before I buy what your selling beer.....

Did you read that link I posted? Everything I said is right there in that thread. There is also a video of his car on the dyno along with a picture of the dyno graph. I was also standing right there when the car was on the dyno.

to paraphrase Corky Bell: one of the few times that a twin turbo setup will be more efficient than a single turbo is when the exhaust port configuration of the head does not easily lend itself to coming together in one spot. "V" configuration motors (V8, V10) often suffer from this - a long, large turbo manifold is needed to combine exhaust gas flow from all 8 cylinders. Placing two turbos, each one close to four exhaust ports, improves the efficiency of the system despite the smaller turbos being less efficient than one larger turbo.

Twin turbos are fun conversation pieces, but that's the limit IMHO.

The thing i said about the whole ricer thing was not meant to be taken as trying to impress them. I was simply trying to depict how stupid ricers are when it comes to engines. I made this thread because i simply wanted to know if it could be done. I know it would only make the same even less power than a larger, single turbo would, but i just was curious about this subject. So no i am not a ricer and i do not wish to be called one either. Thank you

p.s.- I am not trying to argue with you Loco Honkey because i know your knowledge is far greater than mine by all means :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

ok, we know people have run twin turbos in parallel on a honda motor, but has anyone done it in series? 2 small turbos = fast spool up and probably just as much if not more output then one big turbo. instead of goin 2 time 2, you have 2 times 2 times 2 :D

series setups create high boost; and also result in unequal manifold pressure(one turbo causes more backpressure than the other in the exhaust manifold). the series setup will just take up space unless you really want the high boost(talking over 30psi). imo a sequential setup would be better for a smaller motor; if you are going with the twin turbos. i know that some big rigs and drag tractors have series setups.

Great he made 13 more horse power than his orignial single turbo set up. IMO for all the work that was done for two turbos it is not worth the 13 horse power that he got. That kind of shit is fun to look at, but not too practical at all. I will give him and his buddies props for the engineering, and hard work that went into it though.

Originally posted by MaaseyRacer@Jun 15 2004, 02:11 PM
Great he made 13 more horse power than his orignial single turbo set up. IMO for all the work that was done for two turbos it is not worth the 13 horse power that he got. That kind of shit is fun to look at, but not too practical at all. I will give him and his buddies props for the engineering, and hard work that went into it though.

:withstupid: Way too much for a 13hp gain. I would rather just have a single and put in a boost controller and turn it up 2psi and your gonna make more than 13 hp.

well 13 hp in the right spot is worth it if you ask me, along with a few lb/ft in the right spot ;) But at the same time it would only be worth it if i was oding the kinds of shit they were. That statment does not mean i will have a tt GSR anytime soon, though i do plan on a single turbo setup on my GSR some where down the line.

Back