two intake cams on a turbo ls?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

saturn_boy96

88 C1V1C 53D4N DR1V3R
i'm not trying to be stupid, but would it make sense to use an intake cam for the exhaust cam side on an ls head if your going with boost?

i was just looking at the non-vtec b-series cam specs and i saw that crower's turbo cams have exactly the same specs on the intake and exhaust side. i was wondering if that would work for the stock cams?

Originally posted by saturn_boy96@Feb 27 2004, 03:17 PM
i'm not trying to be stupid, but would it make sense to use an intake cam for the exhaust cam side on an ls head if your going with boost?

i was just looking at the non-vtec b-series cam specs and i saw that crower's turbo cams have exactly the same specs on the intake and exhaust side. i was wondering if that would work for the stock cams?

No, it wouldn't fit. It you want crower, then get crower, but don't try anything like this. If I remember correctly from my cam install, then the Intake cam is longer, and it is just a weird idea in the first place.

i'll have to see but it didn't seem like my intake cams or exhaust cams were different lengths. whats weird about it? it would just make the engine a twin cam. with higher lift and slightly shorter exhaust duration. it seems like a good idea to me.

oh well thanks for your input.

the lifts may be the same but the timing between the intake and exhaust cams is a lil differnt. Also with a good turbo set up you want the exhasut to open loger then then intake. It will cuz the turbo to spool faster which in turn force air into the head faster

the ends of the cams are differet. the intake side has a slot for the distributor, and it just wont work...try something else.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 29 2004, 10:12 PM
:withstupid:
it can't be done without extensive modification

I knew I was right, they are a little different on the ends, and the intake is a tad bit longer!

Ian

these are ctr's, but ls's are the same deal---

s40447990c0e05.jpg

hey, i'm bringing this thread back to life to let all of you h8r's out there know that two intake cams on an ls head will work. i know this because i did it last night on both an old b18a1 head from a 91 integra, and a head from a jdm b20b. :)
[i will have more info on the similarities and differences of the two heads later.]

i figure when i tune this setup for boost i will just have to run the exhaust side cam 181-182 degrees behind the intake side.

and since everyone else is naming there projects mine is going to be project Ghetto Star.

Saturnboy I like your logic however you didn't take the time to REALLY think it out. Crowers cams are NOT the same lift at all as your stock LS cams. For all you know the crower turbo-cam lift might be closer in profile to the exhaust cam lift on the stock LS cams. You may very well be chocking off your engine. Or you may notice an increase power and shut us all up. The only way to tell is to take a motor that is ALREADY turboed, dyno it stock, switch cams, and dyno it again.

I'm not trying to hate on you man, just pondering out loud really. But I really don't think it will make any power. I think you will lose HP. But let us know because my buddy is tc-ing his ls really soon.

He was saying that the Crower cams had the same specs between intake and exhaust, not compared to the OEM cams. I don't know that using the intake cam on the exhaust side will help any... the OEM intake has 2 degrees less duration, but 15 thousandths more lift than the exhaust- so I guess putting the intake cam on the exhaust side might help.

In any case, lots of the Nissan guys like to drop in two 91-92 exhaust cams on their KA24DEs for a cheap power boost. All they do is re-slot one of the cams to run on the intake side with proper indexing on the cam gear, and they're good to go. I'm sure you could do something similar with the B series cams.

Back