Two Nics

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Drake

VIP
Here is a basic review of my network I want to build. 4 PC's 1 Xbox. Now for the hardware. I have one pc with two nics in it with Server 2k3 installed on it. I am also using a switch which complicates things a tad. My ISP is Comcast.

What I want to do is run the line from my "modem" into the first nic on my server and then run a line out into the switch which is where my other three computers and Xbox are hooked up. Im not really sure how to go about doing this. I know I need to set up my server as DHCP/DNS but after that Im pretty lost. Im sure there is alot of information I didnt put up so please let me know if you need more info. Thanks.

thats easy. all you really have to do is enable ICS on your server, so it will pass traffic through its gateway (ip of the nic that connects to the modem). and then plug everything in. make sure your other pc's and the xbox are on the same ip level though. the switch doesnt need to be configured.

I did some research on Internet Connection Sharing and it seems that i will not share some resources such as MSN messenger. So that seems to me that me trying to log into Xbox Live would cause a problem. Have you used ICS before? Thanks for the advice too.

yeah, youre sharing an internet connection as long as you have MSN on both computers, i dont see why you couldnt log on. Your basically just having another server in your internet connection. Its not a big deal. XBox Live shouldnt have a problem either.

Quoted post[/post]]
Why don't you just buy a router and get it over with?

Or at least use a proper operating system. Getting Windows to do that kind of thing is like pulling teeth and *USING* it for that kind of thing is even worse.

It takes, on average, 24 hours from the time you put a Windows system on the net with nothing in between it till it is pwn3d.

Well I ended up getting a router from a friend. Part of the reason I wanted to use the switch was just for the fun of it and im poor as shit and cant afford a router. It would have been kinda cool to set up the dual nics but I dont feel like messing with it at this time. Thanks for the help and advice guys. Take it easy.

Back