two problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

hatukazi

ambitious...but rubbish
#1. I have a GSR cluster in my 90 lx (I HATE it when people dont solder their connections, and use speaker wires, and all the same color wires, and...), and I cant make my speedometer work, I have the electric VSS in the tranny, but need to know how to connect it to the cluster. also the power, ground and signal wires for the VSS

#2. I have a surging idle until my temp guage goes up, then it idles fine. when I drive it goes back down, I changed my thermostat and it didn't change anything, I also burped my cooling system.
if i'm sitting still and rev the engine the guage goes down too. weird.

when I tried unplugging the coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing, my temp guage on the cluster stayed up and didn't move, so if the car only idles when it's warmed up where does the cluster get the temp from? my heater blows very hot so the engine is warmed up, this is kind of frustrating.

sorry for the long ass post, this is my final project car so i'm trying to get it right before frustration ruins it.

Last edited:
#1 sorry about your luck I have no answer for that #2 Check your EACV and you FITV there is alot of info on the interweb on how to test, if you can't find any let me know.#3 if your temp gauge goes down when revving your engine that's normal your water pump is ran by the engine and flows better the higher RPMs go, to a point, but that may also mean that it's inefficient and may be going out soon.#4 there is a temp gauge and a temp sender one i believe is for the ECU and the other is for the Gauge pod, the one for the gauge is on the head.hopefully this makes sense, i'm tired.

I'm not sure why your temperature on the cluster is all over the place, but i'd definately look into the wiring. the temp sender unit is on the side of the head, not the thermostat housing though so i'm kinda curious as to what it is your unplugging..

pertaining to your idle problem. on your engine you have a iacv, but you do not have a fitv. you can try pulling off the iacv and cleaning it out with carb cleaner, then reinstalling. many times this will fix the problem. if not i would check for any vaccum leaks because that can also cause a surging idle. If you rule out a vaccum leak you may need to just replace your iacv. i had to do this on my old d16a6. cleaned the iacv and no change, replaced the iacv, and it idled perfectly.

and this should help you figure out how to get your speedometer working.
83799435ha2.png

thank you so much, no speedo and me is doing nothing but feeding these counties jail projects.

should be fixed tomorrow:)

Back